Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9hr Layover DXB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

9hr Layover DXB

Flying in F from SEA to DXB then onwards in Biz on 2 separate bookings.

Flight lands at 7:00 PM and the next one departs at 4:20 AM. Was thinking of getting a hotel outside of the airport to see the city as well. I have the chauffeur service available to and from the airport.

Will it be enough to get back on time?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Wow. That is a really short length of time to both stay in a hotel and see some sights! If you REALLY want to see Dubai, I'd forget the hotel and just head into town to see the sights and then return to the airport. At the most, you'll have 5 1/2 to 6 hours to see Dubai - not a lot of time and even in the city, things do close in the evening. Were it me, I'd either book a hotel at the airport (actually, within the airport) and have a relaxing time.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pacman3
Wow. That is a really short length of time to both stay in a hotel and see some sights! If you REALLY want to see Dubai, I'd forget the hotel and just head into town to see the sights and then return to the airport. At the most, you'll have 5 1/2 to 6 hours to see Dubai - not a lot of time and even in the city, things do close in the evening. Were it me, I'd either book a hotel at the airport (actually, within the airport) and have a relaxing time.
I do this length layover frequently. I'll be doing this today, BLR-DBX-BOS 9:35 layover. I agree that there is not a lot to do in Dubai at that time of night. Just not worth the hassle of getting out of and back into the airport. Lots to do at the airport. There is a hotel airside. Also, the lounges have sleeper seats, it can be difficult to find an open one.

I find that by the time I get off the plane and clear security my time is down to 9 hours. Take a shower, shave and brush my teeth; uses up an other half an hour. Get something to eat; an other half an hour. Take a 2/3 hour nap. Then have a little more to eat. Then do some shopping. Sometimes a massage. Time goes pretty fast.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by pbuntrock
I do this length layover frequently. I'll be doing this today, BLR-DBX-BOS 9:35 layover. I agree that there is not a lot to do in Dubai at that time of night. Just not worth the hassle of getting out of and back into the airport. Lots to do at the airport. There is a hotel airside. Also, the lounges have sleeper seats, it can be difficult to find an open one.

At 19:00, everything will be open. The malls don't shut until 02:00, and most of the restaurants serve food until 23:00 (some even later at the malls).

Burj Khalifa is open late.

I'd have a look around, have a late dinner, and head back to the airport around 01:30.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

At 19:00, everything will be open. The malls don't shut until 02:00, and most of the restaurants serve food until 23:00 (some even later at the malls).

I'd have a look around, have a late dinner, and head back to the airport around 01:30.
I also do this often - enough time to go out, have dinner, meet friends, go to a bar, then to return to the airport in time to visit the lounge!

Cancel the hotel idea though: use T3 arrivals luggage storage.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Good advice here ^

You'll find nothing in Dubai airport (pleasant though parts of it are) to enhance your experience of this big wide world ; taking the opportunity to see at least something of a new city is always going to be a more rewarding option.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
The USA flights often get in a bit early so hopefully you'll have some extra time from that.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice!

My desire has been to check out the St. Regis hotel in Habtoor City. According to the hotel its about 20-25 minutes. I've been to Dubai to do the touristy things before and don't really have a desire to roam the city. With that said, would you still recommend not leaving the airport?

I don't get a hotel through Emirates as I'm booked on 2 separate tickets, so if I pay for a hotel I might as well choose one that I want and will enjoy.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by 08w204
Thanks everyone for the advice!

My desire has been to check out the St. Regis hotel in Habtoor City. According to the hotel its about 20-25 minutes. I've been to Dubai to do the touristy things before and don't really have a desire to roam the city. With that said, would you still recommend not leaving the airport?

I don't get a hotel through Emirates as I'm booked on 2 separate tickets, so if I pay for a hotel I might as well choose one that I want and will enjoy.
If you're an SPG person the Sheraton Grand is several minutes closer than the St. Regis, but why not just stay at the Le Meridien (either one - DXB or Fairway)?

If you've seen Dubai and are thinking about spending the $$ for St. Regis, I would just hang out at the airport hotel, enjoy the Moet Champagne Bar... after the flight from SEA you'll be pretty spent.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Coincidentally, I've stayed at both of those hotels in my past visit. If my flight lands early, I don't have any checked luggage, and from the advice everyone has given me, it seems that the 9hr+ layover would be enough time to make it to the St. Regis and back. Booking the room with points so won't be shelling out too much $$$.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:56 am

We have a layover at DXB after a 2300 arrival before departing on A380 to London Heathrow at 0940. We are planning to stay in the on- site airport hotel. There seems to a choice of areas by concourse. Can anyone advise which one would be most convenient for us, please.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Gombak 44
We have a layover at DXB after a 2300 arrival before departing on A380 to London Heathrow at 0940. We are planning to stay in the on- site airport hotel. There seems to a choice of areas by concourse. Can anyone advise which one would be most convenient for us, please.
It's impossible to predict which gate you will be arriving or departing from, it could be in any of the 3 concourses.

Concourse B is most "central" while A is the newest.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:53 pm

Thanks very much ,Skywardhunter, we will try Concourse B.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Gombak 44
Further to skywardhunter's advice, when you make the booking, provide the details of your incoming flight, and someone will meet you as you leave the aircraft (or in the terminal if you arrive at a bus gate) and guide you to the hotel.

And if you happen to arrive at A or C, it's usually possible for the person meeting you to get the hotel booking changed to your arrival concourse so you don't have to go too far.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Further to skywardhunter's advice, when you make the booking, provide the details of your incoming flight, and someone will meet you as you leave the aircraft (or in the terminal if you arrive at a bus gate) and guide you to the hotel.

And if you happen to arrive at A or C, it's usually possible for the person meeting you to get the hotel booking changed to your arrival concourse so you don't have to go too far.
Many thanks, radio girl, for the additional advice. We are scheduled to fly in on an A380 so, unless there is an aircraft change, is it reasonable to assume that we will not be bussed to the terminal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.