Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates barred from adding new China routes after ‘unsafe operations’

Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:48 am
Original Poster

China fined Emirates airline 29,000 yuan (Dh15,678) and barred the carrier from expanding its operations in the country for six months, citing two incidents that violated air-safety norms.

Regional officials of the Civil Aviation Administration of China in the western province of Xinjiang and central and southern China have met with representatives from Emirates to review the operations, the regulator said in a statement on its website on Wednesday.

The airline also briefed the authorities on its own probe and plans for improvement, CAAC said.

During an Emirates flight on April 17, the crew misunderstood instructions and flew at a wrong altitude above Urumqi in Xinjiang, according to CAAC.

In another incident on May 18, the airline’s radio communications were cut off over the same region.
http://www.thenational.ae/business/a...afe-operations
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Hmmm... Emirates has a very good safety record so I'm a little skeptical about this especially in light of the recent PRC-ROC flag pin fiasco. Maybe just Beijing trying to put more pressure on them? Now EK has not denied these incidents took place but the penalty of blocking expansion seems very convenient and in the interests of largely government owned Chinese airlines...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
People in glass houses....
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
China has some of the most ridiculous ATC in the world, with massive airspace congestion, language barriers (especially in pronunciation) and added to this the fact they use metric altitudes, the same as Russia, which adds great confusion to flight crews who have to switch mid flight to a different measuring method.

I'm sure all airlines have such kind of incidents relatively frequently, I agree with kq747 that this is related to the flags.

I spoke to a senior cabin manager on EK55 today about it and he said they don't really know much about it and haven't been officially communicated with, but that they've been told not to throw out the flags so clearly EK is thinking they may make a comeback. One FA walked past wearing a flag and I asked about it and he said he had also noticed and asked her to remove it.

PRC probably wants to enforce that their flag is worn by ROC, rather than no flag.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Clearly political retaliation.

Reminds me when Mercedes-Benz could not register cars for several months because the Administration did not provide (special) paper to print the compulsory documents ... right after Merkel met Dalai Lama.
There are many such examples in PRC, under reason of safety or public health.

In the pure PRC fashion, EK will probably have to recognize its "shortcomings" publicly, and announce a corrective plan which the Ministry of Transport will solemnly accept.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ioto1902
Clearly political retaliation.

Reminds me when Mercedes-Benz could not register cars for several months because the Administration did not provide (special) paper to print the compulsory documents ... right after Merkel met Dalai Lama.
There are many such examples in PRC, under reason of safety or public health.

In the pure PRC fashion, EK will probably have to recognize its "shortcomings" publicly, and announce a corrective plan which the Ministry of Transport will solemnly accept.
Indeed, and the meanwhile EK expansion will have been blocked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.