Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEL to SFO via DXB... madness?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Read the fine print on the double tier points. It's not truly a 2x multiplier.

It only doubles one of the components - the base one I think. No doubling of tier or class bonus.

I once did AKL-BNE-DXB-BOS over the shorter alternative through the west coast. Not so bad!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Read the fine print on the double tier points. It's not truly a 2x multiplier.
YES Careful with the fine print. I remember the last promotion discussed here only doubled the base miles. Since you're in Y this might not matter. Not getting your class bonus tier miles doubled is big deal though.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Agree with others - if in F or Biz take the longer route but not in Y unless you already have the miles to upgrade. Did a similar routing, the longer way from Brisbane to JFK via DXB as opposed to via the West Coast but I was able to upgrade. Otherwise not worth it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
One ways may be very expensive if paying with cash.
Very true. I've opted to go return with Qantas but I'll stick with Emirates for my normal routes.

Also, good to know regarding fine print on double tier miles... will be paying far closer attention to that as a result.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Really positive and helpful.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I've done similar in first (AKL-LAX via DXB) but would not consider it in economy.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: Skywards
This is madness but I would do it.

In J not in Y.

In J I would actually enjoy the long hours. Just watching movies, eating, reading books. So relaxing.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Flying 7231 miles to be further from your destination than before the flight , seems madness to me.

To consider it in economy...
I did a mileage redemption for a First Class Award on Alaska and American lounge bar hopping from San Jose CA to Seattle, Seattle to Dallas with Breakfast and a shower in the AMEX lounge bedore flying to Santa Fe NM. This April 2018 I'm flying on a Delta First Class Award San Jose CA Minneapolis Tampa. Reason is to get Breakfast to MSP and lunch to TPA vs Refreshments from Atlanta to Tampa.

Heck I would fly Amsterdam Istanbul New York Istanbul Tel Aviv on Turkish to get to Israel after a Trans Atlantic cruise from Tampa to Amsterdam. Or Amsterdam Istanbul.Bangkok Istanbul Tel Aviv Istanbul San Francisco. I love indirect flying. Its an obsesdion of mine to find tge longest routings and flying times.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are restaurants in Tampa which will have better food than either flight would offer and could be eating there rather than be sat in an aeroplane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.