Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Flame3601
15 000 skywards miles given for defective Y seat on DXB-CPT on the 13th of July. Not bad at all, agent did think my date of travel was the 15th thou in the email, even thou complaint logged for the flight on the 13th
Did you mean to post this on the compensation thread?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Did you mean to post this on the compensation thread?
whops ! Good catch , was up all night !
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Does anyone have any wisdom on buying wine at Le Clos v DDF? I'm finding the wine prices in SYD increasingly disappointing compared to what I can get in Dan Murphys (bottle-o).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by sydtogla
Does anyone have any wisdom on buying wine at Le Clos v DDF? I'm finding the wine prices in SYD increasingly disappointing compared to what I can get in Dan Murphys (bottle-o).
DDF and LeClos intentionally do not carry any competing items. As far as wine, DDF has the grand marque Champagnes (Moet, Krug, Lanson, LP, etc.) and some well-known wines such as Jadot Bourgogne, and some plonk like Mouton Cadet.

LeClos has far, far more interesting stuff from around the world. Visit the A Concourse location for the largest selection and free tastings from their machine. Pricing is reasonable, but for comparison purposes I live in the USA and live near the best (IMHO) wine store in the world (klwines.com).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
DDF and LeClos intentionally do not carry any competing items. As far as wine, DDF has the grand marque Champagnes (Moet, Krug, Lanson, LP, etc.) and some well-known wines such as Jadot Bourgogne, and some plonk like Mouton Cadet.

LeClos has far, far more interesting stuff from around the world. Visit the A Concourse location for the largest selection and free tastings from their machine. Pricing is reasonable, but for comparison purposes I live in the USA and live near the best (IMHO) wine store in the world (klwines.com).
This is correct. DDF has more champagne and sells beer and more run of the mill stuff although you can get Ch Lynche Bages in there for example.

Les clos is fine wine and spirits but even the lower end stuff is almost guaranteed to be good if you buy from there. I use the delivery service and collect bottles from before e-gate, it works well and I buy a lot from them even some en primeur wine from Lynche bages and ch cos destournel 16 for investment. They host some great events in Dxb too!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by m3red
Les clos is fine wine and spirits but even the lower end stuff is almost guaranteed to be good if you buy from there. I use the delivery service and collect bottles from before e-gate, it works well and I buy a lot from them even some en primeur wine from Lynche bages and ch cos destournel 16 for investment. They host some great events in Dxb too!
+1

Le Clos also often has some great promos/discounts, so always make sure to ask.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Anybody doing HopFest at the Irish Village 7/8/9 September? It just happens that we're there... so it would be rude not to.
I'm at brunch on the 8th but given it's my birthday weekend I could be tempted for a few on the 9th
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Not company approved :-/ Grosvenor it is.

Roll call for the HopFest? Going Sat afternoon until we can't take anymore. Then EK528 on Sunday.
I'll be there Saturday with the missus. Probably early evening.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:59 am

I'll be there Saturday with the missus. Probably early evening.
I'm flying back to MAN on the 15th - what about you?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:03 am

I'm flying back to MAN on the 15th - what about you?
Back on the 11th for a liver transplant*

*Probably
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:28 pm

Grrrrrrr. I bought a new Galaxy Tab S3 at the weekend. I just dropped it about 4 inches, and the screen shattered. First time ever I've managed to break a phone/tablet.

Any bets on how much Samsung will charge to replace the screen? I'm hoping it won't be more than £150...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:54 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Grrrrrrr. I bought a new Galaxy Tab S3 at the weekend. I just dropped it about 4 inches, and the screen shattered. First time ever I've managed to break a phone/tablet.

Any bets on how much Samsung will charge to replace the screen? I'm hoping it won't be more than £150...
Is it just a screen shatter or is there any damage to the body? I dropped my iPad Air2 and they couldn't replace the screen but had to give me a new iPad. $489....
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by sydtogla
Is it just a screen shatter or is there any damage to the body? I dropped my iPad Air2 and they couldn't replace the screen but had to give me a new iPad. $489....

If you don't mind fixing it yourself, there's a site called ifixit.com that sells parts and guides. Not sure if they ship to the UK, but I'm sure there's something similar...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Worth checking if they'll fix it free. Not sure if the specifics but in South Africa the S7 Edge comes with 1 or 2 free screen replacements within the first 1 or 2 years (a friend has made use of this and they even replaced the battery without him asking)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Worth checking if they'll fix it free. Not sure if the specifics but in South Africa the S7 Edge comes with 1 or 2 free screen replacements within the first 1 or 2 years (a friend has made use of this and they even replaced the battery without him asking)
Thanks, I have a Samsung store closer to where I live, so I'll walk over there tomorrow and see what they say. I wish I'd bought it with my AMEX, as I'd have got purchase protection.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Just called EK to add a stopover in DXB for the 29th, quoted mr $1600!!! (to change a Y flight to add a stopover) as only Flex Plus available. I said no thanks.

Turns out he had already cancelled the first sector (which I wasn't even changing!) and now I'm waitlisted and lost my seat assignment.

Not a major issue, since seat map is wide open and I called back and they said they're just waiting for DXB to re confirm, as the flight is full, but a little odd as I've often called before to inquire about changes without going through.

Upgrade to J with stopover would've been cheaper at $1000....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.