OnAir not really working

Old May 25, 2017, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
OnAir not really working

I've had 3 flights in the last week, BKK-DXB, DXB-LHR RTN, on all of these flights the speed of OnAir was so slow that is was unusable. Anyone else having this issue this week? Sunspots? It's never been Speedy Gonzales but I've been able to at least get my emails.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by JTPictureman
I've had 3 flights in the last week, BKK-DXB, DXB-LHR RTN, on all of these flights the speed of OnAir was so slow that is was unusable. Anyone else having this issue this week? Sunspots? It's never been Speedy Gonzales but I've been able to at least get my emails.
I reckon it's been like that on > 50% my EK flights. Not that I fly EK that much these days.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I recall seeing somewhere that inflight internet is not available when flying over India, so that could answer why it's not available for a good chunk of BKK-DXB.

As for DXB-LHR, I suspect that there's a very number of people connecting, thereby crippling an already slow connection.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Same issue as well , also noted that on recent DXB-LHR/LGW flights the wifi has been uber slow !
Old May 25, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Kris world, Skywards, QF, CX
Well im writing this reply from my flight to PER, I spoke to the Purser and she said, and I quote "it works much more consistently on the 777". It just so happens im on a 777 at the moment.

Hope this helps.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Monarch man
Well im writing this reply from my flight to PER, I spoke to the Purser and she said, and I quote "it works much more consistently on the 777". It just so happens im on a 777 at the moment.

Hope this helps.
I think the 777 has a more up to date system. Unfortunately, not that many 777s have wi-fi at the moment.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I think the 777 has a more up to date system. Unfortunately, not that many 777s have wi-fi at the moment.
?? Most of them do at this point
Old May 26, 2017, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by extramileage
I recall seeing somewhere that inflight internet is not available when flying over India, so that could answer why it's not available for a good chunk of BKK-DXB.

As for DXB-LHR, I suspect that there's a very number of people connecting, thereby crippling an already slow connection.
Yes, it doesn't work over India but it didn't work the other parts of the flight either.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
?? Most of them do at this point
Really? That's good to know.

I thought only the fairly new ones had Wifi.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Really? That's good to know.

I thought only the fairly new ones had Wifi.
It's mostly the older ones that were retrofitted first afaik
Old May 26, 2017, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It's mostly the older ones that were retrofitted first afaik
I need to fly more often so I stop giving crap advice
Old May 27, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: MM, EK, AB/EY, HH, SPG, etc.
My experience as EK Plat: rarely have decent speeds, > 50% practically unusable for most of the flight. So have resigned to using it for simple e-mails... ...seems to be a known issue, as whenever I file for a refund, it is immediately issued without any query. Can't understand why they can't get it right, as on EY I rarely have the same kind of problems (although my last two flights were patchy as well there).
Old May 27, 2017, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Wtravel
My experience as EK Plat: rarely have decent speeds, > 50% practically unusable for most of the flight. So have resigned to using it for simple e-mails... ...seems to be a known issue, as whenever I file for a refund, it is immediately issued without any query. Can't understand why they can't get it right, as on EY I rarely have the same kind of problems (although my last two flights were patchy as well there).
You ask for a refund for $1 that goes to charity?
Old May 28, 2017, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by JTPictureman
777s work on a different satellite band which gives it more bandwidth
Old May 28, 2017, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAorbmi?
777s work on a different satellite band which gives it more bandwidth
Well, my next flight is on a 777 so we will see, I'm beginning to think they didn't pay their bill or something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.