OnAir not really working

Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

How was the speed. Not sure of the flight numbers, but were they A380s or 777s?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
How was the speed. Not sure of the flight numbers, but were they A380s or 777s?
777 with old ICE . Speed wasn't too bad although there were moments of no connectivity
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
As Gold in Y when I logged in yesterday I only got 20MB free on EK525, then no WiFi on EK55 after that . Will see next week when I fly again.
That's disappointing... Thankfully my run of cheap J fares continues. Let's hope I don't have to test this for a little while!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by vytas315
That's disappointing... Thankfully my run of cheap J fares continues. Let's hope I don't have to test this for a little while!
On EK60 now (HAM-DXB) and can confirm unlimited free WiFi as Gold in Y.

EK doing something right!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
@skywardhunter what do you think happened on your previous flight? Why didn't you get free internet there as well?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by vytas315
@skywardhunter what do you think happened on your previous flight? Why didn't you get free internet there as well?
I don't know. The initial wording implied it wouldn't be free in Y and the previous flight departed at 4am on the day the new structure was introduced and the aircraft had departed Dubai the day before around 9pm, they may have later chosen to update it to make it free in Y, but I was definitely logged in on the last flight as well. I only used the free quota on that one, though, so not like I feel like EK owes me a refund now.

UPDATE: Sent a DM to them in Twitter and they said it's still just J and F. I didn't respond as I don't want to poke the bear but then this is a miscommunication in the PR team or a fault in the WiFi system.

Last edited by skywardhunter; Jun 18, 2017 at 11:41 am
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I logged in just fine on EK143, 777 with new ICE the other day in J as a blue member (though it was the flight that got me to silver).

It didn't prompt anything other than my skyward login info and that was that.

Speeds were fine. I'm flying in economy in a week so we'll see what happens there. I suspect if you can get a signal from the J cabin you can get on just fine.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I logged in just fine on EK143, 777 with new ICE the other day in J as a blue member (though it was the flight that got me to silver).

It didn't prompt anything other than my skyward login info and that was that.

Speeds were fine. I'm flying in economy in a week so we'll see what happens there. I suspect if you can get a signal from the J cabin you can get on just fine.
It doesn't work that way, it's the same WiFi network throughout the aircraft
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Then it must just match your reservation to the flight you're on.

Has anyone that is a skywards member but credits somewhere else tried it?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, QR privilege club Gold, Topbonus Gold
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Then it must just match your reservation to the flight you're on.

Has anyone that is a skywards member but credits somewhere else tried it?
The Unlimited free WiFi for J/F PAX happens vs authenticating with a valid Skywards Acc used for that flight booking - verification via Skywards Acc vs Booking J/F @EKXXX flight number at least this was what happen on my last trip using wifi on a B777 where i was 'allowed' multi sessions only using own account with valid booking - not sure if this was due to new implemented IT offer or the multi-session was allowed since was first day of implementation of the new quotas.

Not sure how it will work on A380's since the OnAir IT platform was different on Airbus even if the look & feel was/is similar for EK PAX..

New OnAir WiFi here:
https://www.emirates.com/english/exp...unication.aspx

News in Stralia:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-do...u-start-paying
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Bubus78
The Unlimited free WiFi for J/F PAX happens vs authenticating with a valid Skywards Acc used for that flight booking - verification via Skywards Acc vs Booking J/F @EKXXX flight number at least this was what happen on my last trip using wifi on a B777 where i was 'allowed' multi sessions only using own account with valid booking - not sure if this was due to new implemented IT offer or the multi-session was allowed since was first day of implementation of the new quotas.

Not sure how it will work on A380's since the OnAir IT platform was different on Airbus even if the look & feel was/is similar for EK PAX..

New OnAir WiFi here:
https://www.emirates.com/english/exp...unication.aspx

News in Stralia:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-do...u-start-paying
Yes but in Y on 777s I got unlimited WiFi on 2 flights last night
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: Emirates Platinum
Got my free WiFi from cmn to dxb yesterday. Asked me to log in with my skyward account.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Flying in F but on a QF ticket in November (I have a Skywards gold card but will be crediting this trip to my BA account to get gold status there). Will I still be able to access free wi-fi via my Skywards account or will the fact that I'm on a QF ticket and using my BA FF number make this impossible?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Flying in F but on a QF ticket in November (I have a Skywards gold card but will be crediting this trip to my BA account to get gold status there). Will I still be able to access free wi-fi via my Skywards account or will the fact that I'm on a QF ticket and using my BA FF number make this impossible?
Haven't tried this specific case, but I'd be highly surprised and impressed if EK IT can and actually do cross ref the reservation with the logon just for wifi. Doesn't seem like it's worth the headache.
pomkiwi likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
I'm back on Emirates soon, anybody want to comment about wifi speed these days on the 380, has it improved ?

I remember doing a FaceTime call on it at the start, last time it was struggling with emails. It teases you with the header and then you wait and wait and finally the one sentence appears.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.