Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missing Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Missing Emirates

Please Note: This is not a BA bashing thread (but it may sound like one )

So, I've not been on an Emirates aircraft for just over three months now due to relocation with my job and I've got to say, I'm missing the bling. Due to location (I thought about requesting the routing), it would be too time consuming and over budget for my employer, so am now back to BA for the time being .

Dont get me wrong, the BA lounge in GLA is pleasant enough, but I miss the nice lunch in the EK lounge and the BA lounge has nothing to compare. Added to that, BA's BOB catering offerings on shorthaul and the dreaded connection in LHR.

And with that dreaded connection, lack of smoking areas airside At least I had something to look forward to in DXB . The one good thing about connecting in LHR T5 from a domestic flight is that I don't have to re-clear security, but then I have to give up the chance of a cheeky ciggie. Choices, choices

The other thing I'll miss is the chance to have a proper airline meal (I know, but I don't mind them) on board with BA's "superior (not)" catering on their DME flights- usually a cheese roll!! The choice in the lounge won't be much better due to time of day and connecting time.

Anyways, I miss you EK. I haven't forgotten you. I hope to be back onboard soon.

Anyone else feel the same if they have an absence of EK flights?

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I always find when I haven't flown EK for a few weeks and see an EK aircraft at a remote location that there is a longing to be on it. E.g. passing through BKK onto 6e (Indigo, Indian LCC) and seeing the EK A380 on the tarmac.

Sure you'll be back soon DME is one of the better value EK routes, so maybe reconsider the routing, it's got some of the highest mile per cent earning fares (but not sure about GLA originating flights to DME).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there Saltire74 - I can empathise with your sentiments, as I too haven't been on an EK aircraft for a while now. I sometimes get a little emotional whenever I spot one from my window seat, parked up (say, just after I've touched down somewhere in the world), or positioning itself in the take-off queue, ahead of or behind me, so to speak.

My former loyalty to EK has been interrupted by a prolonged spell with OW carriers, notably QR, CX - and, just recently, MH too. I came to find that, in broad terms, the OW benefits can prove more generous / useful where earn & burn rates and lounge privileges are concerned, than the more restricted Skywards programme. Plus, all three of those carriers mentioned have served me very well, thus helping to soften the blow of missing Emirates. Malaysia in particular were a very pleasant surprise - if only because I was apprehensive as to just how much of their former 'quality' might still be in evidence, given the well-documented difficulties they have been wrestling with ever since the horrendous double tragedy. Those difficulties certainly do still exist ; but my own experiences of their current A380 product from LHR to KUL (in F), and then onwards to Australia (in J, A330) were very positive overall.

Where I must sympathise with you - and I really, really do !! - is that you have been forced by circumstances to date BA after a close relationship with EK. And that must hurt. At least I can mostly avoid BA for all long-haul stuff (except just occasionally to the Americas) and tolerate them, when necessary, for s/haul within Europe. But there is of course not a single aspect of BA service - whether on the ground or in the air - that equals (let alone surpasses !!) that offered by Emirates. And so I feel for you ...... believe me.

Last edited by subject2load; Apr 21, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:35 pm

I haven't been flying for a few weeks now so am apprehensive about my SPML challenge...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I haven't been flying for a few weeks now so am apprehensive about my SPML challenge...
I've noticed you've been quiet... I was wondering whether I should even continue with the SPMLs
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Put on your headphones and click on this link, it'll bring you right back. Minus the freely poured Dom (or for us proles, Moet or Veuve)!

Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
[QUOTE=Metanoia;28212279]Put on your headphones and click on this link, it'll bring you right back. Minus the freely poured Dom (or for us proles, Moet or Veuve)!

Thanks. :-)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Put on your headphones and click on this link, it'll bring you right back. Minus the freely poured Dom (or for us proles, Moet or Veuve)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQrNvnIYh_0
I'll be honest, I've had this on my iTunes for about 6 years now. It's my relaxing/go to my happy place music; my happy place being on an airplane with a drink in hand staring out the window
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:57 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I always find when I haven't flown EK for a few weeks and see an EK aircraft at a remote location that there is a longing to be on it. E.g. passing through BKK onto 6e (Indigo, Indian LCC) and seeing the EK A380 on the tarmac.

Sure you'll be back soon DME is one of the better value EK routes, so maybe reconsider the routing, it's got some of the highest mile per cent earning fares (but not sure about GLA originating flights to DME).
I used to be like that with BA but it has lost that 'attraction' now. They have went downhill but I'm not at the stage where I'm saying "never again".

I have been been looking at EK from DME for my Indonesia trip later in the year so still a possibility but will have dropped to Silver by then but the J class price was decent (Ł1200). We'll see.

Originally Posted by subject2load
Hi there Saltire74 - I can empathise with your sentiments, as I too haven't been on an EK aircraft for a while now. I sometimes get a little emotional whenever I spot one from my window seat, parked up (say, just after I've touched down somewhere in the world), or positioning itself in the take-off queue, ahead of or behind me, so to speak.

My former loyalty to EK has been interrupted by a prolonged spell with OW carriers, notably QR, CX - and, just recently, MH too. I came to find that, in broad terms, the OW benefits can prove more generous / useful where earn & burn rates and lounge privileges are concerned, than the more restricted Skywards programme. Plus, all three of those carriers mentioned have served me very well, thus helping to soften the blow of missing Emirates. Malaysia in particular were a very pleasant surprise - if only because I was apprehensive as to just how much of their former 'quality' might still be in evidence, given the well-documented difficulties they have been wrestling with ever since the horrendous double tragedy. Those difficulties certainly do still exist ; but my own experiences of their current A380 product from LHR to KUL (in F), and then onwards to Australia (in J, A330) were very positive overall.

Where I must sympathise with you - and I really, really do !! - is that you have been forced by circumstances to date BA after a close relationship with EK. And that must hurt. At least I can mostly avoid BA for all long-haul stuff (except just occasionally to the Americas) and tolerate them, when necessary, for s/haul within Europe. But there is of course not a single aspect of BA service - whether on the ground or in the air - that equals (let alone surpasses !!) that offered by Emirates. And so I feel for you ...... believe me.
This is where my conundrum lays. The Oneworld benefits are good, but I will lose my OWS status later this year. It is extremely helpful in the main for extra luggage (2 x32kg) and of course, lounge access and seat selection. So renewing Silver (on another OW airline) would be very beneficial to me.

Good luck with that one etenaltransit.

Originally Posted by Metanoia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQrNvnIYh_0
Originally Posted by kq747
I'll be honest, I've had this on my iTunes for about 6 years now. It's my relaxing/go to my happy place music; my happy place being on an airplane with a drink in hand staring out the window
Got that on my laptop. Full blast at times and in agreement that it does have the ' taking me to a happy place' effect

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:45 am

McNuggets?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:32 am

I've currently got 16 sectors booked in a mix of Y and J so plenty still to look forward to.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I wish they did a MAN-AMS flight
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:56 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I wish they did a MAN-AMS flight
With a 380? Enough time for a shower during the taxi from the 'polderbaan'..
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by m3red
McNuggets?
Only if flying in F!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.