Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates check-in & lounge in Bangkok

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Could someone possibly tell me if the check-in (and EK lounge) in Bangkok are "continually" open or is it like in Amsterdam & Dusseldorf where they only open 3 hours before the flights depart?

It's just that it looks like I will be arriving in BKK airport around 5pm, and my flight isn't until 9.25pm. If I can get rid of my cases and go to the lounge then I don't mind this at all, but if it check-in only opens 3 hours in advance then I will stop somewhere on the road for a bite to eat.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by MDMK
Could someone possibly tell me if the check-in (and EK lounge) in Bangkok are "continually" open or is it like in Amsterdam & Dusseldorf where they only open 3 hours before the flights depart?

It's just that it looks like I will be arriving in BKK airport around 5pm, and my flight isn't until 9.25pm. If I can get rid of my cases and go to the lounge then I don't mind this at all, but if it check-in only opens 3 hours in advance then I will stop somewhere on the road for a bite to eat.

Thanks in advance.
There are so many EK flights from BKK (not just to DXB) that I doubt it closes for very long if at all and definitely not at the time you will be at BKK as there are flights leaving around that time.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:33 pm

Check-in is usually open at most times of the day at BKK (sometimes there's a gap of an hour or two in the afternoon for shift changes), however the old lounge only allowed access 4 hours before your flight in case it was full. The new lounge also has this time restriction but as it's bigger, is less likely to be in effect.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Check-in is usually open at most times of the day at BKK (sometimes there's a gap of an hour or two in the afternoon for shift changes), however the old lounge only allowed access 4 hours before your flight in case it was full. The new lounge also has this time restriction but as it's bigger, is less likely to be in effect.
Well 4 hours before a 9pm flight is 5pm so that wouldn't be an issue anyway here
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Well 4 hours before a 9pm flight is 5pm so that wouldn't be an issue anyway here
Just in case he gets the idea of arriving even earlier for a 12 hour stay - which people were known to do in that lounge!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Just in case he gets the idea of arriving even earlier for a 12 hour stay - which people were known to do in that lounge!
Wot ?!

You mean, even in the BKK lounge ....?? There must be a million and one better things to do with a spare 12 hours ...
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Hi Folks, thanks so much! No it would be 4 hrs absolute max in the lounge. The lounge wasn't really my main worry, it was more being able to check in and get rid of our bags. Looks like we've nothing to worry about. And I can't deny a meal in the lounge is preferable to stopping at some dodgey motorway services. But I would rather eat at a service station on the motorway than be stuck with all my luggage waiting for a check-in desk to open.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Wot ?!

You mean, even in the BKK lounge ....?? There must be a million and one better things to do with a spare 12 hours ...
Especially in Bangkok!

I noticed they have cancelled my favorite flight at 3:40pm (May 20 it isn't there) and will now do only 5 flights a day (must be because of Trump!!!). So after the 9:30am flight there is about 12 hours until the next flight, doubt they would keep it open for that long without that flight.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by JTPictureman
Especially in Bangkok!

I noticed they have cancelled my favorite flight at 3:40pm (May 20 it isn't there) and will now do only 5 flights a day (must be because of Trump!!!). So after the 9:30am flight there is about 12 hours until the next flight, doubt they would keep it open for that long without that flight.
Isn't there a 2pm to HKG?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:31 am

I think this was asked before (in FT, not sure the subforum) and there was a user working in BKK airport that explained the issue. According to him the problem with early check is the baggage staging area.

In EK's case, and according to him, there's a permanent baggage staging area where luggage can be dropped and stored even if your flight is not in the next 3 hours.

As for other companies, like QR I think, the baggage area is only assigned for a period of time and when that ends another company will take that same baggage area, making it impossible for the next company after QR to accept luggage before official check in time.

In my case, I did in fact drop my luggage in the check-in counters of BKK around ~5h before departure and the agent said it was ok. But my flight was at 2:40 AM and there were like 2 or 3 other EK flights to Dubai before mine so the check in was open for that route.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Isn't there a 2pm to HKG?
Yep - next flight even after the afternoon cancellation is 6pm, so there is probably a 1 hour break between say, 2-3pm where they can do a shift change etc.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Wot ?!

You would think so - but I've seen people go to that lounge at 0900 for a flight at 0135!

I guess there were so many people using the lounge as a free afternoon hotel room that when the evening rush came, there was no space.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Hi folks, I posted a thank you yesterday, but for some reason it didn't get the "OK" from the moderation team.... so trying again. Basically...thank you, your replies have been very helpful.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
I checked in and dropped bags >8 hours before my flight at BKK earlier this year, then headed to a nearby hotel for some sleep. The counters were empty but open and they had no issue taking the bag very early.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Can you do evening check-in here if your flight leaves the next morning? We arrive in the evening on Bangkok Airways, will stay at the Novotel airport hotel and leave on EK the next morning, but it would be easier to not have to schlepp the luggage back and forth to the airport hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.