Tough call to renew Gold

Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: EK Gold / IHG Plat Elite / BA Gold
Originally Posted by JTPictureman
ER? You fly DHL?

EK has definitely seen a price hike. Decline in business? Price hike! I've only ever seen his logic in Thailand before.
Doh - Apologies typo - I meant EK (now updated)

Did 3 trips on short notice in last 6 months LHR-CPT & LHR-JHB and all at same prices and trying to now book another 3 trips for May, July & Sept but the pricing is insane for F (and even J!) Or is the new J pricing the old F pricing these days? Its now marginal (cost wise) (& definitely time wise) on my routes to fly direct rather that via Dubai which forces me to rethink my travel strategy. I like EK, the service etc but IMO loyalty goes out the window when your spending cash for flights and there are more attractively priced direct alternatives?

Last edited by cois; Apr 19, 2017 at 1:33 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cois
Doh - Apologies typo - I meant EK (now updated)

Did 3 trips on short notice in last 6 months LHR-CPT & LHR-JHB and all at same prices and trying to now book another 3 trips for May, July & Sept but the pricing is insane for F (and even J!) Or is the new J pricing the old F pricing these days? Its now marginal (cost wise) (& definitely time wise) on my routes to fly direct rather that via Dubai which forces me to rethink my travel strategy. I like EK, the service etc but IMO loyalty goes out the window when your spending cash for flights and there are more attractively priced direct alternatives?
Seems like several of us are feeling similar emotions.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
I still find some good fares ex MAA.

Business Special to MXP and back for €1400 in Feb.

And just booked Business Saver return to CDG for €1900 for travel in two weeks.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Combination of less long haul flying and lower earning means I won't even requalify fir silver when last year I almost (but one cancelled trip meant I didn't) reqyalified for gold. Have a trip in May to Malawi (EK to JNB) and (Zambia) and am seriously thinking if burning all my 160000 miles on upgrades on that trip. Will lose silver in August and only know of one definite trip (again to Malawi) in October. Flew to Las Vegas in January on delta and air France in economy and was pleasantly surprised. My loyalty may be going after 6 years of all economy flying.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Combination of less long haul flying and lower earning means I won't even requalify fir silver when last year I almost (but one cancelled trip meant I didn't) reqyalified for gold. Have a trip in May to Malawi (EK to JNB) and (Zambia) and am seriously thinking if burning all my 160000 miles on upgrades on that trip. Will lose silver in August and only know of one definite trip (again to Malawi) in October. Flew to Las Vegas in January on delta and air France in economy and was pleasantly surprised. My loyalty may be going after 6 years of all economy flying.
You should not stockpile miles - you never know when the next devaluation is coming.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by m3red
You should not stockpile miles - you never know when the next devaluation is coming.
+1

If there was any way to borrow my future miles, I would ..

I new have around 120000 now which I have to get rid of ASAP. But no EK trips planned at the moment .

Only half of these miles are from my actual flying on EK. The rest are from my credit card miles .
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
+1

I new have around 120000 now which I have to get rid of ASAP. But no EK trips planned at the moment .

Only half of these miles are from my actual flying on EK. The rest are from my credit card miles .
I think that'd actually be a cool model to allow frequent fliers to borrow 50% of future earning to use in the trip they'd be earned but you lose 10% of the remaining miles you'd earn
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:59 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
+1

Which credit card(s) give you Skywards?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Don't get your hopes up, none in South Africa

A few in the UAE, one or two in the UK (MBNA) and Standard Chartered in India, to name a few. Wish we had such cards in SA
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:13 am
Original Poster

My CITI card does.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:23 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Don't get your hopes up, none in South Africa

A few in the UAE, one or two in the UK (MBNA) and Standard Chartered in India, to name a few. Wish we had such cards in SA
Well, I am resident in SA as well as the UK, so I can investigate.
Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:50 am

Well, I am resident in SA as well as the UK, so I can investigate.
Thanks for the tip.
There are a few in the UK, good luck! You're luckier than me, stuck with Discovery Miles
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
American Express Platinum allows you to transfer miles to Emirates (US card)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:56 am
Original Poster

EK dropped their fare to LHR so I went ahead and booked with them in J so will re-qualify Gold for the next year.

I still think over this next year I will be booking based a lot more on price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.