Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Socks and shade withdrawn from Y

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Socks and shade withdrawn from Y

So recently, I requested for a pair of socks and shade from the cabin supervisor during the pleasantry exchange with Gold paxs. I've now been told that these are no longer provided for economy passengers.

We used to get our meal first, we used to get other amenities on requested, but these are all being withdrawn.

What's next...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by nangvil
So recently, I requested for a pair of socks and shade from the cabin supervisor during the pleasantry exchange with Gold paxs. I've now been told that these are no longer provided for economy passengers.

We used to get our meal first, we used to get other amenities on requested, but these are all being withdrawn.

What's next...
Now we have to know how other Y paxs feel on other airlines feel
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I go an amenity kit with shades, tooth brush, socks and ear plugs 3 days ago, so...

It's only on flights over 9h and I think may be further restricted to night flights.

Fake news to announce it's been completely withdrawn. There've always been restrictions.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:17 pm

And if you are nice they will get them from J/F for you...!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:54 pm

Airline shades are of no use. They don't block light like the best ones in the market. Same with ear plugs, good ones are better than noise cancelling headset. Apparently the side effects of the "active" part of noise cancelling is still unknown.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:41 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by avcritic
Airline shades are of no use. They don't block light like the best ones in the market. Same with ear plugs, good ones are better than noise cancelling headset. Apparently the side effects of the "active" part of noise cancelling is still unknown.
Have you used the EK J/F eye masks? Personal experience over 20 years and trying many airlines' eye masks, EK have one of the best as it goes. But that is my personal, limited experience.

S
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Have you used the EK J/F eye masks? Personal experience over 20 years and trying many airlines' eye masks, EK have one of the best as it goes. But that is my personal, limited experience.

S
I find BA's the best - they're not as tight as EK's and far more adjustable, but not nearly as durable as EK's. But I have a big head and big hair.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:23 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador

S
To this day I use my older J/F mask (circa 2010). The faux velvet brown ones were the best!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:19 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by sydtogla
To this day I use my older J/F mask (circa 2010). The faux velvet brown ones were the best!
I felt the ones in the past 8 months to be a bit 'different'. Although decent enough, not as soft. Still have a few of the older ones which I carry with me on my travels (beige ones).

S
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:12 am

Emirates used to provide shades and socks in economy!?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Uzair
They still do
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:18 am
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by Uzair
The jist of the OP was that Golds & above travelling in Y would be given a J class set of eyeshades but is questioning whether this perk has been removed (or in BA speak-enhanced).

S
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:40 am

The jist of the OP was that Golds & above travelling in Y would be given a J class set of eyeshades but is questioning whether this perk has been removed (or in BA speak-enhanced).

S
I'm not familiar with that having ever been the case, I've never explicitly asked for it, and I think it was an informal perk that would depend on the person doing the gold greeting.

While OP refers to the gold greeting I think the reference was more generally towards amenity kits provided to all Y pax, which EK does provide on certain flights. I've reached out to their Twitter team to clarify which flights.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by nangvil
We used to get our meal first,
What's next...
I've been gold a couple of years and never had my meal first. When was this?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
I've been gold a couple of years and never had my meal first. When was this?
I think they still do this. Last month I got a tray (minus the hot meal portion) served early. IME depends on crew and where you are sitting. If you're towards the front then they'll wait to serve you with everyone else. And some crews are just "too busy" to be bothered.

I recently reached gold for the first time with EK (in January) and have already had some nice experiences. The best one being an FA saving an empty row for me to sleep in. Can't complain with that!

As skywardhunter says, long night flights should still be getting economy amenity kits. As for shorter or day flights, I've always had luck asking for anything if I forget. Once I did ask for the economy amenity kit on a short flight and they did the whole, "let me see what I can do" and never came back. But that's before I hit gold... I think this depends mostly on crew and flight length.

I've now been told that these are no longer provided for economy passengers.
OP, you imply that they specifically said this was a new policy. Did they explicitly say this was new?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.