Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

US bans inflight electronics on flights from UAE - lifted 5Jul17

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US bans inflight electronics on flights from UAE - lifted 5Jul17

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Posted by NOIR in the construction thread:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...until-boarding
Any idea how will this work? Are we expecting passengers to check-in their laptop carry on bag?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Redhat72
Any idea how will this work? Are we expecting passengers to check their carry on bag?
I had mentioned upthread (or in the other thread) that the best way would be to have some sort of secure crate that is locked at the gate after collecting all electronics and unlocked at the arrival gate, I would think something along these lines (not necessarily a locked crate, but some sort of trolley where everything is checked, perhaps in boxes with labels. I don't think carry-ons as a whole would be checked.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Metanoia
I can see my company going towards laptops on loan in our destination offices - there's nothing that I need that can't be gotten from our private cloud/internal services. That kills two birds - the laptop issue, as well as the data theft issue, since laptops won't be crossing borders anymore.

And if I'm honest with myself, I don't work a single minute on the return flight to the US - I am way too tired. My strategy is to stay awake the whole night until after the breakfast service on the morning-departure US flights to reset back to my home time zone and get work done when it matters - in the office the next day.

And I don't work on the way over anyways - after dinner, and a few drinks at the bar, I sleep!

Good for you.
Nevertheless, all companies don't have a subsidiary in the US to house spare laptops for potential visitors.

In my case, my organization will never allow temporary data to be written on shared laptops. So, I'd be very annoyed not to work during 10+ hours.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I had mentioned upthread (or in the other thread) that the best way would be to have some sort of secure crate that is locked at the gate after collecting all electronics and unlocked at the arrival gate, I would think something along these lines (not necessarily a locked crate, but some sort of trolley where everything is checked, perhaps in boxes with labels. I don't think carry-ons as a whole would be checked.
Sounds like a good idea but this will require another security point near the boarding gates as the electronics ban can only be enforced by airport security. Do not expect passengers to use a honor system to hand over their gadgets to airline representatives.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Redhat72
Sounds like a good idea but this will require another security point near the boarding gates as the electronics ban can only be enforced by airport security. Do not expect passengers to use a honor system to hand over their gadgets to airline representatives.
Well clearly EK is doing just this...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:48 am

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Emirates will allow passengers to use their electronic devices up till boarding, where they will then be collected (presumably at the gate) and securely stowed during the flight. They will then be returned to passengers at some point during the deplaning process.

While not ideal, at least it permits travelers to use their devices in airside lounges/terminals and during transit stops and overnite layovers. It also is better than packing devices in checked bags only to have them damaged or stolen during the baggage handling process.

I have a flight in EK F Class from Bangkok to San Francisco this Sunday (a day after the rules are to go into effect) so have a more than passing interest in how EK plans to handle this situation.

Last edited by OMGImInPattaya; Mar 23, 2017 at 5:54 am
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Emirates will allow passengers to use their electronic devices up till boarding, where they will then be collected (presumably at the gate) and securely stowed during the flight. They will then be returned to passengers at some point during the deplaning process.

While not ideal, at least it permits travelers to use their devices in airside lounges/terminals and during transit stops and overnite layovers. It also is better than packing devices in checked bags only to have them damaged or stolen during the baggage handling process.

I have a flight in EK F Class from Bangkok to San Francisco this Sunday (a day after the rules are to go into effect) so have a more than passing interest in how EK plans to handle this situation.
No mention has yet been made as to how Emirates will handle camera equipment that has always come as carry on. As a matter of principal I'm not switching flights or route because of the ban but have yet to get some indication how electronics other than laptops may be managed. Will be interested for any feedback on how this is handled as the ban takes effect.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by dwugson
No mention has yet been made as to how Emirates will handle camera equipment that has always come as carry on. As a matter of principal I'm not switching flights or route because of the ban but have yet to get some indication how electronics other than laptops may be managed. Will be interested for any feedback on how this is handled as the ban takes effect.
Why would they be handled any different to laptops? BAsed on reports all electronics not compliant with the ban (i.e. larger than smartphone) will be collected at boarding.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya

Can't wait to see the scenes and hear the noises when a bunch of young children are suddenly and collectively subjected to having their electronics yanked from them. Too bad the noise-cancelling headsets will not be allowed either.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Can't wait to see the scenes and hear the noises when a bunch of young children are suddenly and collectively subjected to having their electronics yanked from them. Too bad the noise-cancelling headsets will not be allowed either.
Can always turn up the volume on ICE; that and champagne will do wonders.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Has anyone mentioned how powerpacks and spare lithium camera batteries are to be handled? Etihad is not allowing them to be checked - is this also the case for Emirates? What's going to happen to all my expensive camera power packs?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Buy good quality soft ear plugs. There are 32 db rated, may be even better.

Kids addicted to screens will find closest lit screen, in this case ICE.

Issue is not the kids, parents all of a sudden decide to enforce screen time limits just to show-off their good parenting skills to public, kid throws tamper tantrum.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by dwugson
Has anyone mentioned how powerpacks and spare lithium camera batteries are to be handled? Etihad is not allowing them to be checked - is this also the case for Emirates? What's going to happen to all my expensive camera power packs?
Another good question that I have not heard anything specific about. The DHS website states that "personal electronic devices larger than a cellphone or smartphone" must be placed in checked baggage. A list of examples is given and external battery packs and extra batteries for devices are not mentioned (however it's stated the list is representative only and not exhaustive).

Additional information from the TSA website is provided in this Q&A...again with no guidance regarding batteries:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21/...rts-commercial

To be on the safe side, until hearing otherwise, I'm assuming extra batteries and external battery packs larger than a phone are personal electronic devices that need to be checked.

The regulations also state that the devices can't be carried in the cabin. Therefore, if EK were to collect them at the gate/boarding, they would need to quickly and securely get them into the hold and store them in a manner so as to protect them from damage during the flight. I assume they would also quickly retrieve the bundle of devices from the hold upon landing and return them when...at baggage collection? There would not be time to do it before deplaning commences I assume. Mention was made in the SMH article of EK wanting to particularly placate their premium passengers...so I could see this being a service offered to those passengers only.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Yes. Can't leave in the morning, and have to get to the US by a certain time the following day. Only routing that can do it is via DXB or DOH

Originally Posted by airsurfer
A very long detour.
Straight over the ocean is faster and has no laptop ban.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:26 am
formerly airedalemom

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
Emirates will introduce a new service to enable customers to use their laptops and ta

BRAVO emirates:

Emirates customers travelling to the US via Dubai will be able to utilise their laptops and tablet devices on the first part of their journeys, and also during transit in Dubai. They must then declare and hand over their laptops, tablets, and other banned electronic devices to security staff at the gate just before boarding their US-bound flight. The devices will be carefully packed into boxes, loaded into the aircraft hold, and returned to the customer at their US destination. There will not be any charge for this service.

https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...for-us-flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.