Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Skywards Miles Compensation Levels Awarded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:33 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

There have been a few threads over time highlighting issues when travelling on EK, from broken F seats, inop IFE and delayed baggage delivery, to name but a few with the ultimate question asking what compensation in Skywards Miles one may expect as a service recovery so hopefully this thread may be of some benefit.

There have been reports of EK customer service being quite stingy with service recovery compensation to being what may seem rather generous for the issues being complained about and with sometimes seeming to be dependant on the service centre that is contacted to deal with the issue.

A quick search didn't return any dedicated thread on this subject so apologies if there is one out there.

Personally, I am not an advocate of the 'compensation culture' and would rather let things slide for for the majority of minor issues that could come with extensive airline travel with the attitude that everything can't be perfect all of the time.

Of course, there are scenarios where compensation should be sought and it is a question we see on here on a regular basis. I can't say for certain that EK have a sliding scale of mileage compensation awards for service recovery but it would be interesting to see what Skywards Miles EK Flyertalkers have received for issues during their travels when something has not quite gone right or not met expectations. With this in mind, FTers may be able to gauge what to expect in terms of mileage service recovery.

So I will kick off and if others wish to contribute, if they can follow the same format for ease of extracting the information.

Issue: Delayed F class baggage delivery
Travel Class: First
Complaint Delivery Method: Via Email
Contact Centre Dealing: UK
Skywards Membership Level: Gold (Silver at time of complaint)
Miles awarded: 20,000

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: EK Plat
There appears to be absolutely no consistency whatsoever in terms of courtesy miles as compensation.

I've had a variation of between 15,000-35,000 for a broken IFE system (same route, same cabin, same fare class, same status).

Unfortunately I've found that the IFE systems are proving to be increasingly temperamental, particularly the 777-200LRs which I usually fly in J/F at least twice a month. While I agree that 'compensation culture' is undesirable on the whole, I do think that it is reasonable to complain to EK when you are unable adjust your seat beyond the three presets for the majority/all of the flight.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Skywards, Silver
Was offered 10.000 for a broken IFE.
Recently I requested a compensation after being delayed 9 hours and missing a connecting flight due to technical errors and weather conditions. Didn't get anything.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
For Y there seems to be no delayed baggage compensation. Happened on 2 consecutive flights where my bag was left behind at DXB. Just the standard EK, apology:

Dear Mr JD,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to detail your concerns.

When a loyal Gold Member takes the time to write to us with observations and suggestions to improve our services, we are particularly grateful. It is most disappointing when we hear negative feedback about our airline and the world renowned service standards for which we are known.

On behalf of Emirates, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced when you did not receive your bag on your arrival at Mumbai airport; your bag was inadvertently left behind at Dubai airport. I can appreciate how unsettling it was being without your personal belongings and having to spend additional time waiting for the luggage, and sincerely regret the inconvenience this must have caused you.

Mr JD, I would like to thank you for the benefit of your feedback and for your continued patronage of Emirates. We always look forward to hearing from you and we hope to welcome you on board soon.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
For Y there seems to be no delayed baggage compensation. Happened on 2 consecutive flights where my bag was left behind at DXB. Just the standard EK, apology:

Dear Mr JD,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to detail your concerns.

When a loyal Gold Member takes the time to write to us with observations and suggestions to improve our services, we are particularly grateful. It is most disappointing when we hear negative feedback about our airline and the world renowned service standards for which we are known.

On behalf of Emirates, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced when you did not receive your bag on your arrival at Mumbai airport; your bag was inadvertently left behind at Dubai airport. I can appreciate how unsettling it was being without your personal belongings and having to spend additional time waiting for the luggage, and sincerely regret the inconvenience this must have caused you.

Mr JD, I would like to thank you for the benefit of your feedback and for your continued patronage of Emirates. We always look forward to hearing from you and we hope to welcome you on board soon.
Did you request compensation?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum
Issue: Headset socket broke rendering no sound for IFE
Complaint Delivery Method: None. They reached out to me after mentioning it to the Purser on-board.
Contact Centre Dealing: Dubai
Skywards Membership Level: Platinum
Miles awarded: 75,000
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Xenon2010
Complaint Delivery Method: None. They reached out to me after mentinoing it to the Purser onboard.

WOOOWW!
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:46 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Complaint Delivery Method: None. They reached out to me after mentioning it to the Purser on-board.
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
WOOOWW!
Double woooww

S
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:57 am

I used the IFE for pretty much the first time yesterday as I left my Kindle on my first flight, as mentioned elsewhere. I'll be trying it out every time in future in the hope it doesn't work.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:35 am

^
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Did you request compensation?
I did not - I thought that it should be obvious given that they had misplaced my bags on my previous trip also. Just informed them about the missing bags 2nd time around with some general observations and suggestions on improving their service levels. Perhaps I should have been more direct .

They obviously do not seem to be interested in any suggestions and totally in awe with themselves for the "...the world renowned service standards for which we are known. "
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada
I did not - I thought that it should be obvious given that they had misplaced my bags on my previous trip also. Just informed them about the missing bags 2nd time around with some general observations and suggestions on improving their service levels. Perhaps I should have been more direct .

They obviously do not seem to be interested in any suggestions and totally in awe with themselves for the "...the world renowned service standards for which we are known. "
Well... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...r-service.html
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
I used the IFE for pretty much the first time yesterday as I left my Kindle on my first flight, as mentioned elsewhere. I'll be trying it out every time in future in the hope it doesn't work.
I was quite surprised with the amount too, but suspect two things worked in my favour. Firstly it was a 14 hour sector in paid First, and the fact I hadn't actually sought compensation (merely let the Purser know so it could be fixed for the next flight).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:43 am
Lux

This one from a few months ago:

Issue: Flight delay of c. 8 hours DXB > LGW
Travel Class: Business
Complaint Delivery Method: No complaint raised - this was offered by EK
Contact Centre Dealing: DXB
Skywards Membership Level: Gold
Miles awarded: 70,000

We were offloaded after waiting for a while at the gate before departure from T3A. EK handled it well: all Y passengers were given entry to the J lounge, and J passengers to the F lounge.

The delay was long and boring, but we got home just fine. A couple of days later came an unprompted email from Emirates offering 70,000 miles as ex-gratia compensation. Bearing in mind this was only one sector, I was surprised and very pleased (especially as EU261 didn't apply, and it took me 2.5 years to get the last eligible flight paid out).

British Airways could learn a lesson here!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Lux
This one from a few months ago:

Issue: Flight delay of c. 8 hours DXB > LGW
Travel Class: Business
Complaint Delivery Method: No complaint raised - this was offered by EK
Contact Centre Dealing: DXB
Skywards Membership Level: Gold
Miles awarded: 70,000

We were offloaded after waiting for a while at the gate before departure from T3A. EK handled it well: all Y passengers were given entry to the J lounge, and J passengers to the F lounge.

The delay was long and boring, but we got home just fine. A couple of days later came an unprompted email from Emirates offering 70,000 miles as ex-gratia compensation. Bearing in mind this was only one sector, I was surprised and very pleased (especially as EU261 didn't apply, and it took me 2.5 years to get the last eligible flight paid out).

British Airways could learn a lesson here!
That's pretty generous! Even by EK standards, especially the lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.