Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Questions About Emirates First Class and Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions About Emirates First Class and Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Your passport name must match your ticket (it will be confirmed at check-in and if there is a mismatch you may be pulled aside by Group Security, or authorities which connect to EK via the API system may deny you boarding).
If my memory serves me well, I did the following when I traveled to Germany (a Schengen country) in 2014:

- Showed my American passport to airline and security upon departure from New York
- Showed my Italian passport upon arrival in Munich
- Showed my Italian passport to security departing from Munich
- Showed my American passport to airline departing from Munich
- Showed my American passport upon arrival in New York

I experienced no problems at all. But, perhaps that was because I never showed my Italian passport when I was required to show my boarding pass as well. In such cases, I presented my U.S. passport.

Last edited by joer1212; Feb 20, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212
If my memory serves me well, I did the following when I traveled to Germany (a Schengen country) in 2014:

- Showed my American passport to airline and security upon departure from New York
- Showed my Italian passport upon arrival in Munich
- Showed my Italian passport to security departing from Munich
- Showed my American passport to airline departing from Munich
- Showed my American passport upon arrival in New York

I experienced no problems at all. But, perhaps that was because I never showed my Italian passport when I was required to show my boarding pass as well. In such cases, I presented my U.S. passport.
As long as the documents at check in match that of your ticket there should be no problem - the check in data is the one that is sent to authorities for verification before departure.

What you show to others in the mean time is up to them
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Just go and enjoy yourself especially First on EK . Remember, thousands of tourists go to these countries every day without incident.

Enjoy.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Yes, thank you much. The same thought crossed my mind as I was reading that book! Should I have the misfortune of being one of the hapless souls that has a major issue in Dubai due to a molecule of marijuana being found under my shoe, then I suppose I may be prone to winning Powerball as well, since the odds of either scenario occurring are similarly outlandish.

Last edited by joer1212; Feb 20, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
As long as the documents at check in match that of your ticket there should be no problem - the check in data is the one that is sent to authorities for verification before departure.

What you show to others in the mean time is up to them
Though if the authorities see two passports (e.g. during a routine bag search) with different names there might be some questions.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

One more question: Since my DXB-CAI flight departs at 8:10am, I will have to arrive at the airport several hours early in order to check in, go through security, and sample the vast Emirates First Class lounge (as well as the Emirates Business Class lounge--might as well visit both!). I'm guessing that I will need to be at the airport at ~5am, which means that I will have to leave my hotel at 4:30, at the latest (I'm staying at the Ascott Park Place Dubai, which is close to the World Trade Centre).
What are my transportation options at that hour?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Though if the authorities see two passports (e.g. during a routine bag search) with different names there might be some questions.
I've never had an official, who was doing a bag search, draw out both my passports and compare them. Let's hope this won't be first time.
In case it does happen, do you think the authorities in the U.A.E. and Egypt recognize that "Joseph" and "Giuseppe" are the exact same name in different languages?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
One more question: Since my DXB-CAI flight departs at 8:10am, I will have to arrive at the airport several hours early in order to check in, go through security, and sample the vast Emirates First Class lounge (as well as the Emirates Business Class lounge--might as well visit both!). I'm guessing that I will need to be at the airport at ~5am, which means that I will have to leave my hotel at 4:30, at the latest (I'm staying at the Ascott Park Place Dubai, which is close to the World Trade Centre).
Uber, taxi and hotel limo. The first or the second would be comparable in price with an Uber car probably being marginally better qualityz though cabs are quite decent quality as well. I'm not sure what time the metro starts so it might be an option though something tells me 5am or later
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Uber, taxi and hotel limo. The first or the second would be comparable in price with an Uber car probably being marginally better qualityz though cabs are quite decent quality as well. I'm not sure what time the metro starts so it might be an option though something tells me 5am or later
Uber may be a good option, provided my cell phone & hotel WiFi works well.
Hotel airport transfer is probably expensive. Will have to look into that.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:59 pm

In case it does happen, do you think the authorities in the U.A.E. and Egypt recognize that "Joseph" and "Giuseppe" are the exact same name in different languages?
No. Most native English speakers don't, so I wouldn't expect those who have English as a second (or more) language to.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:09 pm

I've never had an official, who was doing a bag search, draw out both my passports and compare them. Let's hope this won't be first time.
Computer says no - no match.

At the very least there would be, imho, some strict questioning.

Best to travel on the passport that matches your ticket details, and only use the other passport when needing to use that to enter a country (and if you need to, get a separate ticket with a name that matches the document you are using).

Even easier, change your name
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Indeed - which is a good reason to keep a passport on your person: if they are searching you and are looking closely at your identity documents, I think you have bigger issues
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:13 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Note that there are 3 F lounges (one each in A, B, C concourses), and 4 J lounges (2 in C concourse, one in A & B). You can try more than one if necessary.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You can try more than one if necessary.
if necessary Only on FT would it ever be necessary to try multiple lounges
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:09 pm

I'm curious why/how you have two different names in two different passports. I understand that one's an Anglicisation of the other, but that's still not a particularly good reason. My father who has a Dutch name on his birth certificate (Jan) goes by John, but both his Australian and Dutch passports both say Jan because that is what his official name is and all supporting documents say that.

I'm very curious how you present a passport application with supporting documents for a name that isn't on those supporting documents.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Productivity
I'm curious why/how you have two different names in two different passports. I understand that one's an Anglicisation of the other, but that's still not a particularly good reason. My father who has a Dutch name on his birth certificate (Jan) goes by John, but both his Australian and Dutch passports both say Jan because that is what his official name is and all supporting documents say that.

I'm very curious how you present a passport application with supporting documents for a name that isn't on those supporting documents.
This may not be the case with OP but in the US when you naturalise and become a citizen, you are given the option to change your name. To be fair, you can do this anytime after but I believe this is most common time it is done. I myself almost dropped my first name as I usually go by my second but decided I didn't want to have to deal with any potential hassles re degree certificates and my other passports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.