Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disruptive (drunk) passenger in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by rumbataz
It's an alternative fact, based on stories that make the news.

http://bfy.tw/A0ZZ
Your google search produced 346,000 hits for me. I tried "drunk passengers united airlines" and got 754,000.

Does that negate your alternative fact?

10 years ago you would never have heard of a drunk passenger being abusive on any airline based in an Islamic country.
And here's one from 2006 that disproves that bit too.

http://209.157.64.201/focus/f-bloggers/1555542/posts

Maybe check before you rant again.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Where's the rant? I detest abusive, drunk passengers on board an aircraft. I hope most people do too.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Where's the rant?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...hol-board.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-ration-2.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...eal-first.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-part-2-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...es-flight.html

Honestly, one-trick-pony doesn't even come close...
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's an alternative fact, based on stories that make the news.

http://bfy.tw/A0ZZ

Notice the dates of most of the stories. They're all relatively recent. 10 years ago you would never have heard of a drunk passenger being abusive on any airline based in an Islamic country. Now there are several stories per year. EK has it's fair share too.
While following your link, I found this gem of information about Mr. Mir:
"The 39-year-old, who has over 50 previous convictions..."
Don't think the origin of the flight, the airline, or even the fact that this bird was flying has anything at all to do with this moron's behavior. My question to Britons is how is this guy walking around after over 50 convictions?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by rickg523
While following your link, I found this gem of information about Mr. Mir:
"The 39-year-old, who has over 50 previous convictions..."
Don't think the origin of the flight, the airline, or even the fact that this bird was flying has anything at all to do with this moron's behavior. My question to Britons is how is this guy walking around after over 50 convictions?
We don't do 3 strikes.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberino
We don't do 3 strikes.
Fair enough, but 50 strikes? Is that cricket?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Just remove the alcohol from flights. It would solve 90% of these problems.
Hmmm? But I like my glass of champagne at 33k ft. How about refusing drunk passengers? There are probably lots of passengers that board the plane with a high BAC.

On flights back from Bali (or similar destinations), you can usually spot the drunks very easily: Badly sunburned and a boozy breath you can smell from a couple ft. away.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Skywards
What they can do it at least serve "normal drinks".

Every single time I order a drink at the bar its almost undrinkable due to too much alcohol. Not sure if they think passengers like that or just don't know how to make drinks. Maybe they just want to put us to sleep so we wont bother them anymore?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
What is Emirates policy regarding drunks?

By coincidence last night I watched a repeat of one of the early episodes Ultimate Airport Dubai – Series 3 in which Mel had to deal with 2 very drunk German passengers transiting onto a flight to BKK. Very drunk is an understatement. They were both completely blotto. Medics and security were also in attendance when Mel arrived on scene.

According to Mel, the male had to be restrained during the inbound flight to Dubai. Mel gave the 2 passengers a chance to sober up before their onward flight. The pair were left alone and when Mel returned to reassess them it was quite apparent that they had consumed considerably more alcohol – large empty bottle on the floor – and were virtually unable to stand/walk.

Mel refused to allow them to board their flight to BKK and they were taken in wheel chairs to a quiet area in the airport to ‘sleep it off’. They were allowed to continue their journey the next day, but only after they had payed for new tickets.

The guy had to be restrained during the inbound flight yet no reception committee . The pair were totally paralytic in the airport and yet they were able to obtain more alcohol . Mel commented that it was not a matter for the police So what is Emirates policy regarding drunks?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:38 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Oldtiger
By coincidence last night I watched a repeat of one of the early episodes Ultimate Airport Dubai – Series 3 in which Mel had to deal with 2 very drunk German passengers transiting onto a flight to BKK. Very drunk is an understatement. They were both completely blotto. Medics and security were also in attendance when Mel arrived on scene.

According to Mel, the male had to be restrained during the inbound flight to Dubai. Mel gave the 2 passengers a chance to sober up before their onward flight. The pair were left alone and when Mel returned to reassess them it was quite apparent that they had consumed considerably more alcohol – large empty bottle on the floor – and were virtually unable to stand/walk.

Mel refused to allow them to board their flight to BKK and they were taken in wheel chairs to a quiet area in the airport to ‘sleep it off’. They were allowed to continue their journey the next day, but only after they had payed for new tickets.

The guy had to be restrained during the inbound flight yet no reception committee . The pair were totally paralytic in the airport and yet they were able to obtain more alcohol . Mel commented that it was not a matter for the police So what is Emirates policy regarding drunks?
Similar situation I was faced with late last year in the B J lounge and the Mr Whisky incident (sorry can't link just now) where after it was brought to the lounge staffs attention, they continued to serve him more booze (we could really do with a 'hitting head against brick wall' smiley).

S
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:37 am

The guy had to be restrained during the inbound flight yet no reception committee . [Snip] Mel commented that it was not a matter for the police So what is Emirates policy regarding drunks?
I've just watched the episode (Episode 1 of season 3) on Youtube and it seems that the couple had been interviewed by police shortly before or during the incident where the woman collapsed in the concourse and decided not to press charges.

And if the morons decide to buy another bottle of vodka in the time they are left alone, I don't think you can blame the airline. Personally, I would've handed them over to police at that point. Let them handle a UAE drunk tank and the Dubai police.

Airlines should be though on drunk passengers (stop serving booze if a passenger is visibly drunk; handing them over to police; put them on no-fly lists, etc...), but I don't see an alcohol ban as a solution. The passengers that get that drunk usually start drinking before the flight.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
There are probably lots of passengers that board the plane with a high BAC.
100% correct. My travel experience starts in the lounge.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by ft101
100% correct. My travel experience starts in the lounge.
Mine too, but I have a drink or two (max 3/4 if I'm in the lounge for longer). I don't board a plane while being on the verge of being black-out drunk. The trouble somewhat is that you have a majority of passengers that can handle booze (i.e. they know when to stop) and a tiny minority of alcoholics (there's no other way to put it).

When I wrote "high BAC", I meant a very high "BAC", i.e. when a normal person wouldn't be able to walk and speak properly. I've seen people crash their cars with 0.4%. What surprises me is not how they managed to crash their car, but how they managed to drive 10 miles without crash in a car with a manual transmission and without keyless go in the first place. And the explanation before a judge are always good for a laugh (that is, if nobody else got hurt).

Have lounge personnel and F/A trained not to serve customers that are clearly wasted. Have ground staff trained to flag any wasted passenger and deny boarding.

(If you're wondering what I mean by wasted/drunk, just check the Ultimate Airport episode )

Last edited by WorldLux; Feb 11, 2017 at 4:00 am
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Mine too, but I have a drink or two (max 3/4 if I'm in the lounge for longer). I don't board a plane while being on the verge of being black-out drunk. The trouble somewhat is that you have a majority of passengers that can handle booze (i.e. they know when to stop) and a tiny minority of alcoholics (there's no other way to put it).

When I wrote "high BAC", I meant a very high "BAC", i.e. when a normal person wouldn't be able to walk and speak properly. I've seen people crash their cars with 0.4%. What surprises me is not how they managed to crash their car, but how they managed to drive 10 miles without crash in a car with a manual transmission and without keyless go in the first place. And the explanation before a judge are always good for a laugh (that is, if nobody else got hurt).

Have lounge personnel and F/A trained not to serve customers that are clearly wasted. Have ground staff trained to flag any wasted passenger and deny boarding.

(If you're wondering what I mean by wasted/drunk, just check the Ultimate Airport episode )
I chug 2 or 3 glasses of wine and a couple gin and tonics so I can pass out and forget I'm in Y
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

Just watched it. Wow. They were stag-party-in-Ayia-Napa drunk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.