Disruptive (drunk) passenger in F

Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Mel was probably lurking somewhere ready to pounce on this 'dahling' lady .

Safe & Happy Travels

S
I once saw Mel and let of a fan boy scream and kissed her feet while I basked in her glory , man what a honour !
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Flame3601
I once saw Mel and let of a fan boy scream and kissed her feet while I basked in her glory , man what a honour !
Have never spotted Mel... but have come across that one check-in manager lady, the Emirati Customs guy and one of the old Brit line engineers!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by extramileage
Have never spotted Mel... but have come across that one check-in manager lady, the Emirati Customs guy and one of the old Brit line engineers!

If you haven't seen Mel , you haven't lived ! I would try get a riot going at the gate and I'm sure you will see Mel ..... And the police
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:05 am

Let's not conflate being disruptive and alcohol - there can be disruptive passengers on airlines that are completely dry.

IATA themselves say out of the reported cases to them only 23% involved alcohol or drugs.

The vast, vast majority of flights proceed normally with no incident. Alcohol is enjoyed - responsibly - by many, many, many more passengers.

To ban it as a response to increasing disruption incidents strikes me more as a moralising fulfilment exercise rather than a sensible, proportional response to an issue that is more efficiently fixed by enforcement of criminal and civil penalties (and banning passengers).

We see passengers getting into fights and abusive with crew because of seat recline, especially in economy. Should all economy seats - even on long haul and ultra-long haul - be fixed upright with no recline possible just because of the actions of a few? That is the analog of an alcohol ban.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Prevention is better than cure. Airlines need to have a zero tolerance policy towards drunk AND abusive passengers. Am airline ban for life and a criminal record would send a strong message to the tiny minority who can't control themselves when it comes to booze.
Agreed, but maybe there's a middle ground so that air crews don't have to go for a law enforcement options for people who are not totally out of control. In this day and age it should be simple enough for airlines to share data and identify a passenger who should be banned or at the very least denied alcohol during their flight. After their first offence they should get a letter like:

Dear Mr/Mrs Pax,

The crew aboard flight XX123 on XX/YY/ZZZZ have filed a complaint about you in relation to your behaviour, especially in view of the volume of alcohol you consumed. Your name has been added to a list in the Safer Airlines Alliance database and you will be denied alcohol on all flights in the alliance in perpetuity. Any attempt to circumvent this ban (e.g. by impersonating another passenger, bringing your own alcohol on board) or boarding any flight whilst intoxicated will result in a permanent ban from all airlines in the alliance.

Please consider your future conduct carefully as it may have a significant impact upon your leisure and business travel.

Yours sincerely,

XX Airlines.

That'd be a wake up call for someone to read once they're at home and sober.

And on a lighter note, I'd be happy for airlines to have tazers, straightjackets and duct tape available that fellow passengers can use to subdue a drunkard. Just imagine the fun that could be had!
Restraint stops them moving around but it sure as hell doesn't stop the noise. You can't gag someone with duct tape as it's a violation of their human rights and if they puke they'll choke and die. The tazer is OK on the ground, but side effects include a loss of bladder and bowel control, and in some cases heart failure which is a serious liability in a plane 38000 feet up.

I've actually tazered someone, and while it was entertaining it certainly didn't stop the guy for more than about 2 seconds. Tazer training is 5% use of the device for restraint and then 90% what to do immediately after you've tazed someone. (The other 5% is about looking after the device, in case anyone cares).

As for allowing passengers to get busy with those tools? You'd never stop being sued for allowing untrained and potentially drunk people to do that.

[PS: I'm aware your post was tongue in cheek.]
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Just remove the alcohol from flights. It would solve 90% of these problems.
But what about my DT? Do you have an ativan drip available?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
Drunk passenger in Court

A drunk plane passenger had to be tied to a seat with a mask over his mouth during a flight from Dubai to Birmingham....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-38922438

Although the article does not specifically state that it was an EK flight, as far as I am aware EK is the only carrier to fly this route.

It will be interesting to see what punishment the Court gives him and if the airline bans him from future travel.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Oldtiger
A drunk plane passenger had to be tied to a seat with a mask over his mouth during a flight from Dubai to Birmingham....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-38922438

Although the article does not specifically state that it was an EK flight, as far as I am aware EK is the only carrier to fly this route.

It will be interesting to see what punishment the Court gives him and if the airline bans him from future travel.
I also think that passengers should be able to sue people like this for the distress caused. The courts need to set examples and deliver extremely harsh punishments. I'm surprised this passenger didn't get a good kicking from the passengers and crew he threw his drinks over or spat at.

The irony in all of this is that passengers travelling from so-called Islamic countries (the UAE in this case) seem to be the ones getting drunk and causing mayhem more and more frequently these days, and ending up in the news.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The irony in all of this is that passengers travelling from so-called Islamic countries (the UAE in this case) seem to be the ones getting drunk and causing mayhem more and more frequently these days, and ending up in the news.
Could you give me a link to your research on this? Or is it an alternative fact?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
It's an alternative fact, based on stories that make the news.

http://bfy.tw/A0ZZ

Notice the dates of most of the stories. They're all relatively recent. 10 years ago you would never have heard of a drunk passenger being abusive on any airline based in an Islamic country. Now there are several stories per year. EK has it's fair share too.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Notice the dates of most of the stories. They're all relatively recent. 10 years ago you would never have heard of a drunk passenger being abusive on any airline based in an Islamic country. Now there are several stories per year. EK has it's fair share too.
And another one!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
It's an alternative fact, based on stories that make the news.

http://bfy.tw/A0ZZ

Kellyanne is that you?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:34 am

I thought it was accepted by everyone that 90% of EK's pax are transiting DXB - and EK's major routes are UK-Indian Subcontinent and UK-Australia - even by those who have, err, questions about the business model.

The irony is not so ironic given the pax profile is significantly British on EK: the UK binge drinking culture is well documented, even by official statistics:

https://www.ft.com/content/e0d5dd04-...b-1f8b0d268c39

Also, the passenger in question is from Birmingham.

Whilst I agree with you that the courts (and airlines) should take a tough line - you only have to do a quick google to find that the usual punishment for those brought before English courts is a custodial sentence.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I also think that passengers should be able to sue people like this for the distress caused. The courts need to set examples and deliver extremely harsh punishments. I'm surprised this passenger didn't get a good kicking from the passengers and crew he threw his drinks over or spat at.

I know you're just joking, but on the off-chance that you're not too familiar with the practical application of the law, I'd point out to you that this is completely unworkable, impractical, and, if anything, will lead to a flood of cases where people claim to be traumatised by sitting next to a smelly person, or being barked at by a dog.

I think we get it, you don't like alcohol, especially not people who drink it on airlines, but please keep drama levels a bit lower.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
by sitting next to a smelly person, or being barked at by a dog.
EK's equivalent is being stared at by an angry falcon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.