Wiki Posts
Search

MAN-MUM economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

MAN-MUM economy

Hi all,

I have a work trip from MAN to Mumbai next month and the company policy unfortunately is Economy travel only. The two options I'm looking at are QR via Doha and EK via Dubai. The prices and timings are similar, so I wanted to get a view on the Economy product comparison.

The only advantage I would have with QR is lounge access as I have a BA Silver card. That said many have said how good EK's product is, so wanted some views.

Cheers.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
I'd go QR since you have status and can collect the points.

I prefer QR anyway although in Y they're all the same!

Oh and the code for Mumbai is BOM (just an FYI!)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
If you're able to squeeze in Premium Economy you could opt for LH.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:29 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
MAN-MUM is an interesting route:
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=Man-mum

Originally Posted by phunc
QR Y on the 787 is the same as EK Y on the A380?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by phunc
I'd go QR since you have status and can collect the points.

Oh and the code for Mumbai is BOM (just an FYI!)

Reminds me of a friend who nearly booked a ticket to GOA ( Genoa in Italy) instead of GOI (Goa in India )
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:22 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by nux
MAN-MUM is an interesting route:
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=Man-mum

QR Y on the 787 is the same as EK Y on the A380?
The QR Y seat gets similar bad reviews to the BA version. The A380 is pretty good.

So, in Y, I'd go for EK.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:15 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I think QR operate a 777 on the BOM route which isn't as bad as the 787 but the A380 is better still.

So flying QR you would get the 787 and 777. On EK it would be an A380 and 777. EK would certainly be a more comfortable journey in Y.

If you haven't tried EK then my personal advice would be to give it a go. If you choose to try EK then there are a couple of options you could try. The first one is possibly requesting a status match and you would have a better chance of success if you had a flight booked with them. I don't know if they do it but you could check to see if you could get a QF codeshare on the route which, I think, would afford you OW status benefits.

If if you applied for a status match and it was granted, you would only have lounge access in DXB as a Silver.

I would definitely say say that the EK Y experience is better than the QR Y experience in terms of comfort and transit. Service is much the same on both but taking everything in to consideration I think EK is the better option. YMMV

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:34 pm

If lounges are your thing, iirc Oneworld Sapphire doesn't get you into the real QR J (al-mourjan) only their "business lounge" which is nowhere near as good - but EK silver at least gets you proper J lounge access at DXB.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
If lounges are your thing, iirc Oneworld Sapphire doesn't get you into the real QR J (al-mourjan) only their "business lounge" which is nowhere near as good - but EK silver at least gets you proper J lounge access at DXB.
I concur. The Business lounge in DOH for OWS members is nothing great and certainly not a mark on the EK lounges.

S
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: Skywards, Silver
If you are a tall person travelling alone, I suggest avoiding QR. The Y class in the 787 is a nightmare. I was left with severe pains in my legs and back after a long haul flight on that thing. You are basically getting half legroom due to the IFE box, and the seats are so narrow that it is almost impossible to rest your arms, especially if the person next to you is a few pounds too heavy.
The EK A380 is waaaay better.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

And the lounge at MAN is the shared Escape lounge. Nothing special, even after the refurb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.