Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

My 40th bday, 185k miles to use for cash plus miles. Advice pls.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Hello

Its my 40th next year and I will have racked up 185,000 within the next few months.

I wanted to split these miles to take the family on an Econ out/Business return from the UK to somewhere decent, but don't think that's working for me.

The Mrs has now suggested I use the miles for myself and take a trip abroad for 7-10 days.

My bro has agreed to pay for the same journey for himself to accompany me, so basically, I need your best advice for a great trip to utilise the miles.

I was thinking of:

London Heathrow - Singapore (Business)
Singapore - London Heathrow (First)

Allows me to use the Business/First class lounge at Heathrow, then Business in DXB, followed by the First in Singapore and then First Class in DXB on the return leg.

That uses up pretty much all the miles, plus £800 in taxes.

Is this a good idea? Ideally I would like to try First Class for what would be my first time. And thought it better on the return leg.

Your best advices would be appreciated.

Last edited by manutd123; Jan 18, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Or should I be using expert flyer's seat alert to book in Economy where I can upgrade the outbound in Business and return in First?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Personally I think award tickets on skywards are overpriced and think that upgrades are a better use of miles. If your dates are flexible then you could call reservations and ask them to check if the upgrades are available for days you may wish to travel and have them book Y and upgrade miles at the same time. Again, it depends on how you value miles/redemption rates and your flexibility. Just as a btw, in Singapore you can use the Qantas or Dnata lounge if the EK lounge is still under renovation.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:31 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I hate UK departure tax. Even if you upgrade from Y you will be liable to the same taxes ex-UK so its 6 and half a dozen. It is a smart move to fly F on the return leg.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kq747
Personally I think award tickets on skywards are overpriced and think that upgrades are a better use of miles. If your dates are flexible then you could call reservations and ask them to check if the upgrades are available for days you may wish to travel and have them book Y and upgrade miles at the same time. Again, it depends on how you value miles/redemption rates and your flexibility. Just as a btw, in Singapore you can use the Qantas or Dnata lounge if the EK lounge is still under renovation.
Thanks for the heads up on the lounge, looking to travel around March 2018.

Just taking March 2017 as an example, it's

£390 ECON SAVER for LHR-SIN return 19-26 March
£714.91 ECON FLEX

Upgrade from Flex is 68,250 miles each way, so I guess 136,500

I imagine that upgrade one leg Flex to Business is 68,250 and another from Business to First is also 68,250 with change fees of £75 and £300 respectively

Overall, it comes to 182,500 miles plus £825 for CASH + MILES
OR
£1303.91 for Flex and Business Saver being upgraded to Business and First, with 136,500 plus another £375.

I hope I've got that right, but it suggests Cash plus miles works out better here.

I'm completely flexible with my flight, looking for about 7-10 days, any particular time period usually work out cheaper?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:44 am

You won't pay change fees on a miles upgrade, and you can't upgrade two classes with miles. The only fee you would pay is the APD increase ex UK.

You would need to book Economy Flex outbound and Business Saver inbound to upgrade to the cabins you propose. Economy Saver outbound could be done but you are unable to upgrade until check in opens so at risk of no upgrade seats being available.

I don't think SIN has a First Lounge, only DXB. SIN will be a shared J/F one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.