Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2017 - Please Post Here

Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Please post your 2017 Operational Upgrade Experiences in this thread.

Around the middle of 2016, Emirates modified their Operational Upgrade Policy favouring type of ticket over status holders, giving non status passengers on Flex and Flex Plus tickets an advantage over (for example) Silver members on a Saver ticket. During the latter half of 2016, less Op Ups were reported but we would still like to hear when they happen.

Link to the 2015/2016 thread: Please Post Your Operational Upgrade Experiences - 2015/2016

Please use the following format for ease of reading and of course, discussion is still welcome.

Example:

Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: BKK-DXB

Flight number: EK385

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 040115

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles to date: 18,000

Skywards miles balance: 80,000

Number of pax on the same PNR (Including OP): 1

Number of pax upgraded: 1

Safe & Happy Travels and May The Upgrade Gods Look Upon You.

Saltire74
Print Wikipost

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2017 - Please Post Here

Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, QR privilege club Gold, Topbonus Gold
Upgrade given: J - F

Upgrade location: onboard A/C

Route: CAI-DXB

Type of ticket: Flex

Date of travel: June 2017

Tier status: Plat

Basically same seat has been assigned in two different BP. I was already on my seat when other PAX approach me saying he had 7A. Asked crew to check and been offered a F seat (Plat / Flex ticket). The other PAX wasn't very happy that i got offered the upgrade but.. thug life..
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Bubus78

Upgrade location: onboard A/C

Route: CAI-DXB

Date of travel: June 2017

Tier status: Plat

Basically same seat has been assigned in two different BP. I was already on my seat when other PAX approach me saying he had 7A. Asked crew to check and been offered a F seat (Plat / Flex ticket). The other PAX wasn't very happy that i got offered the upgrade but.. thug life..
Did you board early? how did you board (mobile BP, printed? was it scanned properly, did it double-beep?). Most likely you were op-upped but it was missed at the gate or you boarded before they upgraded you due to some last minute switches of assignments.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
OK, EK experts, so for Plats, saver fare now above all Golds for op ups. What about special fares? or award tickets?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
OK, EK experts, so for Plats, saver fare now above all Golds for op ups. What about special fares? or award tickets?
All revenue tickets, regardless of type - award tickets are savers or flex.

Obviously no op-up on concession tickets.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:30 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by keitherson
As above, but also any booking using a partner code will take you off the list (for example, Vitality, Sydney Symphony Orchestra, HSBC partner code).
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Did you board early? how did you board (mobile BP, printed? was it scanned properly, did it double-beep?). Most likely you were op-upped but it was missed at the gate or you boarded before they upgraded you due to some last minute switches of assignments.
At CAI, they do not immediately scan boarding passes at the gate, they simply collect the stubs and then scan them all in a batch.

If you have received an op up then it's about the person checking your boarding pass to remember your name and send you to get a new boarding pass before boarding.

I've seen this situation happen (where two people think they have the same seat) numerous times at CAI (fights are usually extremely overbooked in Y resulting in many Y-J and J-F op ups) once resulting in a big argument onboard.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
At CAI, they do not immediately scan boarding passes at the gate, they simply collect the stubs and then scan them all in a batch.

If you have received an op up then it's about the person checking your boarding pass to remember your name and send you to get a new boarding pass before boarding.

I've seen this situation happen (where two people think they have the same seat) numerous times at CAI (fights are usually extremely overbooked in Y resulting in many Y-J and J-F op ups) once resulting in a big argument onboard.
Ah thanks! Well there's our answer then
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Hi everyone. Long timer lurker, this is my first post - I've never registered because I never thought I'd have anything of value to contribute. Thank you all though because your contributions here have been invaluable advice.

I normally travel economy, however there were no seats in economy left when I had to make a very short notice trip, so my client paid for business class both ways.

Route: DXB-MAN
Flight number: EK17
Type of ticket: Business Flex
Date of travel: 23/08/17
Tier status: Blue
Tier miles to date: 24,500
Skywards miles balance: 6,000ish

Things that may have contributed to the op-up:
Was 3 hours early to the airport (couldn't sleep - still on UK time), the airport was entirely dead. The check-in desk person noticed it was my birthday the day before. I had quite a long chat at check-in (she wanted to talk, I'm not that outgoing when it comes to talking to people like that).
Alternatively, my ticket type may have meant I was top of the list of a full flight.

Anyway, my first experience of First was spoiled a bit in that it was so early and I knew I had a whole afternoon/evening of parenting ahead of me, and my flight attendant was by no means rude, but was a bit curt and it felt (to me) like every request was an inconvenience. Food was great, wine was great, loved getting so many free goodies, sad that the upgrade was at the gate so I missed out on the First lounge, don't think it's that far of an upgrade from business (I.e. Economy to Business is a way bigger difference than business to first).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
Hi everyone. Long timer lurker, this is my first post - I've never registered because I never thought I'd have anything of value to contribute. Thank you all though because your contributions here have been invaluable advice.

I normally travel economy, however there were no seats in economy left when I had to make a very short notice trip, so my client paid for business class both ways.

Route: DXB-MAN
Flight number: EK17
Type of ticket: Business Flex
Date of travel: 23/08/17
Tier status: Blue
Tier miles to date: 24,500
Skywards miles balance: 6,000ish

Things that may have contributed to the op-up:
Was 3 hours early to the airport (couldn't sleep - still on UK time), the airport was entirely dead. The check-in desk person noticed it was my birthday the day before. I had quite a long chat at check-in (she wanted to talk, I'm not that outgoing when it comes to talking to people like that).
Alternatively, my ticket type may have meant I was top of the list of a full flight.

Anyway, my first experience of First was spoiled a bit in that it was so early and I knew I had a whole afternoon/evening of parenting ahead of me, and my flight attendant was by no means rude, but was a bit curt and it felt (to me) like every request was an inconvenience. Food was great, wine was great, loved getting so many free goodies, sad that the upgrade was at the gate so I missed out on the First lounge, don't think it's that far of an upgrade from business (I.e. Economy to Business is a way bigger difference than business to first).
I think you mean j to F.

Two things contributed to your upgrade:

1. A flex J ticket; and

2. Very heavy Y loads at the moment to MAN - I suspect that F was full and full of upgrades too

If you had been upgraded at check in you still wouldn't have access to the first lounge it would have remained as the J lounge.

I do agree Y to J is better than j to F for sure but the F lounge is generally much nicer and quieter than the J one.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:52 am

FINALLY! After a serious streak last year of almost 50% op-up success this is the first in a YEAR!!!

Upgrade location: seat assignment disappeared on MMB, I arrived at check-in 65min before departure, agent made no mention but I immediately saw the new seat number
Route: HYD-DXB
Flight number: EK529
Type of ticket: Y Flex
Date of travel: 27/08/17
Tier status: Gokd
Tier miles to date: 45,500
Skywards miles balance: 27,000

Internal load report I got yesterday showed Y over by 25. Had bad experiences in the past with that translating into upgrades but luckily not the case today.

Last edited by skywardhunter; Aug 27, 2017 at 11:13 am
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, KLM Flying blue, Qatar Airways Privilege club, GHA Discovery
Upgrade location: Lounge . When asking to upgrade with miles I was told that I've received a complimentary upgrade
Route: BKK - DXB
Flight number: EK375
Date of travel: 25/08/17
Tier miles to date: 65,500
Skywards miles balance: 112.000
Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
Upgrade given: Y -J
Upgrade location: Boarding gate
Route: DXB - LHR
Flight number: EK31
Type of ticket: Flex plus
Date of travel: 26/08/17
Tier miles to date: 87,000
Skywards miles balance: 82,000
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
My last memory of an op-UP was nearly three years ago now on a DXB-LGW flight from J->F

My last op-Down was three months ago when I gave points for J to F on COK-DXB and then they 'operationally' moved everyone else in and used J for Y
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Upgrade given: Y-J

Upgrade location: at gate

Route: DXB-JFK

Date of travel: August 28 2017

Tier status: Silver

I knew when I booked the flight was very oversold so not a total surprise. Was going to do miles upgrade onboard if I didn't get a free one. I then asked the purser about using the miles for F but they were totally full from J op ups including the pax infront of me at the gate.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Upgrade given: Y -J
Upgrade location: Day before (saw it on my electronic boarding pass)
Route: DXB - MXP
Flight number: EK205
Type of ticket: Flex plus
Date of travel: 29/08/17
Tier miles to date: 57k
Skywards miles balance: 199k

Saw the load the previous day of overbooked by 25 plus 5 staff on standby so pretty much knew i was going to be upgraded and was able to ignore the online upgrade offer. Was surprised however to see the upgrade listed on the e-boarding pass so far in advance of the flight. Guess many pax were already inbound to DXB from other destinations on their first leg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.