Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2017 - Please Post Here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Please post your 2017 Operational Upgrade Experiences in this thread.

Around the middle of 2016, Emirates modified their Operational Upgrade Policy favouring type of ticket over status holders, giving non status passengers on Flex and Flex Plus tickets an advantage over (for example) Silver members on a Saver ticket. During the latter half of 2016, less Op Ups were reported but we would still like to hear when they happen.

Link to the 2015/2016 thread: Please Post Your Operational Upgrade Experiences - 2015/2016

Please use the following format for ease of reading and of course, discussion is still welcome.

Example:

Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: BKK-DXB

Flight number: EK385

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 040115

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles to date: 18,000

Skywards miles balance: 80,000

Number of pax on the same PNR (Including OP): 1

Number of pax upgraded: 1

Safe & Happy Travels and May The Upgrade Gods Look Upon You.

Saltire74
Print Wikipost

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2017 - Please Post Here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Compared to this time last year, there has been a 50% drop in reports of opups. Eight reports compared to only 4 so far in the first 15 days of the year.

S
I've said it before and will say it again: I don't like the Forum Dashboard. Since it's been introduced there's been a significant drop in reporting of op-ups, the thread easily disappears and then no one knows it exists anymore.

Also while op-up priority has changed this doesn't mean the total number of op-ups has, just different people are getting them. However the reported/suspected lower loads EK is experiencing may of course have decreased op-ups.

Lastly, I don't think the sample size is sufficient to draw conclusions, Ek will have operated several ten thousands flights in those 15 days so a drop from 0.00001% to 0.000005% in reported op-ups is not significant in my opinion. (random made up percentages to illustrate my argument).
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Spoke with a purser the other day, and apparently the Op-Up via fare type first and then status has been scrapped - it wasn't a popular decision. There was an internal email stating that.
However, using miles for upgrades are on a first come first serve basis - irrelevant of status, I can't remember if anything on upgrade using miles at check in has changed.

Take the above with a grain of salt, but it came from a purser who had a very good idea of the whole situation.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by torontoflyer
Spoke with a purser the other day, and apparently the Op-Up via fare type first and then status has been scrapped - it wasn't a popular decision. There was an internal email stating that.
However, using miles for upgrades are on a first come first serve basis - irrelevant of status, I can't remember if anything on upgrade using miles at check in has changed.

Take the above with a grain of salt, but it came from a purser who had a very good idea of the whole situation.
Great news if true!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by torontoflyer

That would be amazing! Will ask at the Skywards desk tomorrow morning in the lounge.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:54 pm

Status update: at the lounge, reminded check-in that I'm happy to be IDB and fly tomorrow, they said they'd let me know. Flight is 50mins late, at T-60 (of STD) my seat assignment disappeared, I got hopeful, at T-55 it reappeared. if the SPML screws this up for me I'll be annoyed.

EDIT: Correction, I double-checked on the web MMB as the app is funky sometimes (no full mobile BP ex HYD so checking in Pax info which I think doesn't update as well), seat assignment still gone, but 2nd flight assignment remains so I suspect op-up, not IDB, will advise:

Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:07 pm

Nada. Back of the bus. I blame the SPML.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Isnīt SPML a surefire way of not getting op-up no matter what? It is on European airlines anyway.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:25 am

You were just unlucky - that flight went out exactly 386 in Y and they were selling 200 USD upgrades - those guys take priority over op-ups
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Great news if true!
Agreed. Fingers crossed the report is good.

TWill ask at the Skywards desk tomorrow morning in the lounge.
Did you get a chance to ask?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Agreed. Fingers crossed the report is good.

Did you get a chance to ask?
No, flight into DXB was delayed an hour so just ran Gate to gate with a quick scrambled egg breakfast in the B lounge (in and out in under 10 mins). The desk was busy do didn't have time to wait to ask unfortunately.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:59 am

I personally think the purser is just repeating rumors - op-ups are a ground ops thing and I think they would be informed before pursers: I haven't heard anything definitive apart from the noticeable feedback that's gone back to DXB about the change.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by view
Isnīt SPML a surefire way of not getting op-up no matter what? It is on European airlines anyway.
Not in my experience. I used to get op ups all the time and I order lacto-ovo veg meals.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Jet Airways JetPrivilege Platinum
So I flew EK235 DXBORD yesterday (Jan 16). 2 of my fellow travellers who are silver and blue were given complimentary upgrades from Y to J and I as a gold (booked on flex) had to use miles to upgrade from Y to J
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by viraj737
So I flew EK235 DXBORD yesterday (Jan 16). 2 of my fellow travellers who are silver and blue were given complimentary upgrades from Y to J and I as a gold (booked on flex) had to use miles to upgrade from Y to J
How do you know you wouldn't have got it anyway? What ticket type were they on?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Jet Airways JetPrivilege Platinum
They were on flex plus according to me since the fare they paid equates to a flex plus fare. I asked at the lounge and checkin area also, and figured the flight was overbooked in Y . Was not clear as by how seats because at first they told me 10 seats, then 7 seats and ultimately they told me it wasn't overbooked.

But at the end it would have been overbooked since they bumped up passengers.

I guess that system is still in place with they are upgrading by fare type

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.