Wiki Posts
Search

Hydrogen Peroxide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
Question Hydrogen Peroxide

Apologies if this is not the appropriate place to ask this. Not airline specific although I'm asking with regard to an EK flight DUB-DXB-MEL-WLG in a couple of weeks.

Can I take 200ml of 6% hyrogen peroxide in my hold baggage? It's for use as a wound disinfectant.

All the references that I can find relate to contact lenses or TSA.

I realise that in concentrated form it is very reactive but do the powers that be differentiate?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Here's the list from EK: http://content.emirates.com/download...Goods_2016.pdf

I'd probably classify it as non-radioactive medicinal or toilet article and as such should not be an issue.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I'd probably classify it as non-radioactive medicinal or toilet article and as such should not be an issue.
Many thanks! I should have been able to find that myself!!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Neiltoo
Many thanks! I should have been able to find that myself!!
http://www.giyf.com/
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
British Airways specifically prohibits peroxide, so may be an idea to check.

It is an ingredient in some improvised explosives so might trigger sensors.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:44 am

You absolutely cannot take hydrogen peroxide with you - it is an oxidising material and banned.

The picture even has a hydrogen peroxide bottle.

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...ds-policy.aspx
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
You absolutely cannot take hydrogen peroxide with you - it is an oxidising material and banned.

However that page links to the PDF I linked earlier which does not make any specific mention of hydrogen peroxide, nor oxidising materials.

I agree in this case best to call and ask.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I would call to check except that I'm pretty sure that the answer would be as Eternaltransit has linked to.

Originally Posted by eternaltransit

My (badly phrased) question was really about the amount of oxidising material in the solution. There may be Fluorine in your tooth paste or mouthwash for example, albeit in tiny quantities, it doesn't result in the toothpaste being banned.

What I want to take is water with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in it. That alone may indeed make it a banned substance but everything that I can find online doesn't make it clear. Would it still be banned if the percentage was 0.6% H2O2 for example, or 0.006%?

I guess I was hoping that someone would direct me to a reputable source that said "Yes, as long as the % of H2O2 doesnt exceed y"

I shall err on the side of caution and leave it at home!

Last edited by Neiltoo; Dec 9, 2016 at 8:15 am
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
However that page links to the PDF I linked earlier which does not make any specific mention of hydrogen peroxide, nor oxidising materials.

I agree in this case best to call and ask.
The page lists specific goods that might be in the covered by the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations but have specific exemptions.

The general rule for commercial aviation (especially areas covered by EASA like DUB) is that any dangerous good - as classified by the UN as one of the nine types - is prohibited on an aircraft, except for certain goods as elaborated in the PDF.

Oxidising agents are a class unto themselves - Class 5 Dangerous Goods out of the 9 different Classes.

It would be an offence to carry hydrogen peroxide either on board in hand luggage or in the hold without both special authorisation by the airline and with the proper handling procedures for that class of good in place as it is not mentioned in the linked PDF as having special treatment as being allowed with/without permission.

YMMV about how strictly they might find your solution - but I would advise you not to chance it unless they give you the all clear.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
As above - you cant take it.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daisymay2
As above - you cant take it.
....and if I label it contact lens cleaning solution?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I seem to recall that it is Hydrogen Peroxide is only a DG if concentrate is above 8% - you need to check IATA DGR 2016 to be sure. You also need to check what exceptions EK has and any exceptions by the states you will pass through.

In any case, I would expect any passenger handling staff or security staff to confiscate it if they see it as they are not trained in DG acceptance.

If you really want to take it, I would contact SkyCargo in your home country and explain what you want to carry as a passenger and you are concerned it will be confiscated and you obviously want to be sure you are not committing any offence.

Ask SkyCargo if they can advise how best to carry it and if they agree you can take it as a passenger ask for some form of documentation.

Would it not just be easier to buy some at your destination though?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cargueiro
I seem to recall that it is Hydrogen Peroxide is only a DG if concentrate is above 8% - you need to check IATA DGR 2016 to be sure. You also need to check what exceptions EK has and any exceptions by the states you will pass through.

In any case, I would expect any passenger handling staff or security staff to confiscate it if they see it as they are not trained in DG acceptance.

If you really want to take it, I would contact SkyCargo in your home country and explain what you want to carry as a passenger and you are concerned it will be confiscated and you obviously want to be sure you are not committing any offence.

Ask SkyCargo if they can advise how best to carry it and if they agree you can take it as a passenger ask for some form of documentation.

Would it not just be easier to buy some at your destination though?
That is exactly the sort of info I was looking for, thank you.

But as I mentioned above I have decided not to take it. I wanted it in case of coral cuts and I have no idea whether it will be available in some fairly remote south sea islands but I don't need it.

It was recommended to me only recently, previously I wouldn't have known what H2O2 was used for.

Since I asked the question I've done some more research and it would appear that many contact lens cleaning solutions are 3% H2O2 and I would assume they are taken on flights many many times each day! ....whether legally or not.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I am in the middle of a scientific experiment at the moment.

I have just added a derivative of C2H5OH with ambient temperature H2O and gaseous CO2.

To cool this mixture I have added some super low temperature, solidified H2O.

I am just waiting for some proteins to denature at a high temperature to complete this scientific study.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I am in the middle of a scientific experiment at the moment.

I have just added a derivative of C2H5OH with ambient temperature H2O and gaseous CO2.

To cool this mixture I have added some super low temperature, solidified H2O.

I am just waiting for some proteins to denature at a high temperature to complete this scientific study.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.