Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Any success changing to earlier flight during transit?

Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold

I've had to change some flights at late notice and to avoid a significant fare difference I have accepted an extended stopover in Dubai. I have QF status so will be in the lounge quiet zone for most of the time, however I was wondering whether anyone has ever had any success moving onto an earlier connection by asking someone in the lounge?

For info, its Y on EK metal but QF flight number. Pretty restrictive ticket overall. MAN-DXB-SYD.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I've tried something similar in the past, but was told that because it was a QF ticket, only QF could change it - and they apparently don't change anything under 24 hours.

M
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:19 pm

EK will never let you move to an earlier flight (or later!) without recalculating the fare/applying change fees except in extenuating (read: serious operational requirements) circumstances.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
DEL-DXB-LGW . Had a fairly long transit at DXB. Queried at Delhi to see if they could move me to an earlier flight from DXB to LGW.

Turns out that they were overbooked in J ex DEL and were looking for volunteers to downgrade to Y (with the offer of a free J return valid for a year )

I was told that they will try to waive off the change fees ex DXB for my next flight if I was willing to downgrade. Didn't take it as the only seats available were B and D on the A380 on the earlier flight. Moreover we were tired and wanted some rest in the J cabin ex DEL.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Thanks for the replies. The consensus doesn't really surprise me and I guess that Qantas status holds no weight in these situations.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Yachtman
Thanks for the replies. The consensus doesn't really surprise me and I guess that Qantas status holds no weight in these situations.
Neither would EK status!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:19 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Another issue is the luggage situation. If you have checked luggage, they would have to pull it and transfer it to the earlier flight. I have tried this many years ago (not in DXB and not on EK) and was firmly told that they would not do anything like that.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by m3red
Neither would EK status!

Maybe if its an IO???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.