Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates and "Black Lives Matter" movement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:52 am
Original Poster

I flew back from Entebbe this week and witnessed a very strange altercation between a passenger and the crew.

The flight was pretty much totally full, but the last row aisle/window seat on the 777 was blocked off for an unaccompanied minor. She was boarded and the SFS put her in the window seat and told her that nobody would be sitting in the aisle seat.

Just before the doors were about to close, a young African-American man wearing a "Black Lives Matter" T-shirt went up to the UM and told her that she had to move to the aisle seat since he was supposed to be in the window. The girl told him that the crew told her to sit in the window but he told her that they were wrong and that was his seat (his actual boarding pass was for a middle seat further forward). The UM complied and moved to the aisle seat instead.

A few minutes later the SFS spotted the guy sitting in the window seat and asked him to please move to his original seat as this row was reserved for the UM. The guy went ballistic at this request. He stood up and started abusing the SFS and asking her if she was doing this because he was black and the UM was white. He was using really foul language ("b****, you doing this 'cos you think I'm just some G*dd*mn n****r?"), pointing at his T-shirt saying "BLACK LIVES MATTER" and saying "we're in Africa b****, my people here won't let you enslave us again".

The SFS reacted remarkably calmly to the entire outburst and asked if he had been drinking or taking any medication. He admitted that he had been smoking "some good stuff" earlier. She told him that if he didn't move back to his assigned seat immediately, she'd call the police and have him arrested on drug charges. The guy calmed down somewhat and agreed to move, mumbling the entire time about "po-lice keep the n****r down everywhere". He sat down in his original seat and fell asleep for the rest of the flight.

I wonder if Emirates has an official policy with regards to the "Black Lives Matter" movement and if crew have been given specific training on this?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Ok, first thing first... Since you were flying out of Entebbe, I hope this man wasn't actually stopping off in Dubai. If he gets stopped by customs, and screened, he will be in for a whole world of trouble. Detection of just trace amounts of the good stuff means an automatic jail sentence of two years, with absolute zero tolerance. I don't do good stuff of any kind (other than the demon drink) and I'm paranoid when walking out of Dubai airport.

As for the UM, I like the Emirates approach.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:25 am

I would say the policy is: "No Lives Matter" when it comes to narcotics charges (and detection of traces in urine or blood is also counted as possession in the UAE).

The authoritarian reputation of the UAE does have its advantages when trying to defuse situations!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Internaut
Ok, first thing first... Since you were flying out of Entebbe, I hope this man wasn't actually stopping off in Dubai. If he gets stopped by customs, and screened, he will be in for a whole world of trouble. Detection of just trace amounts of the good stuff means an automatic jail sentence of two years, with absolute zero tolerance. I don't do good stuff of any kind (other than the demon drink) and I'm paranoid when walking out of Dubai airport.

As for the UM, I like the Emirates approach.
I would hope the FA reported it to the police on touch down in Dubai so he could be properly screened.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by theddo
I would hope the FA reported it to the police on touch down in Dubai so he could be properly screened.
Why?

He's an ***hole and the FA acted correctly. I don't think sending the guy to prison in the UAE for 2 years is even remotely appropriate to what is in a growing nunber of counties not even a crime any longer.

Coming from SA "the good stuff" is just another part of daily life and certainly less detrimental to society than alcohol abuse.

Regardless this shouldn't turn into a political debate or discussion. The short of it is the pax was out of line and should've been possibly deplaned but certainly be sent to his original seat and kudos to the SFS who handled the situation professionally.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:49 am

I think the thread title is misleading.

This was an indivudual not behaving and the CC seems to have done a great job.

EK crew are well trained in these situations and have to deal with this quite often!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I wonder if Emirates has an official policy with regards to the "Black Lives Matter" movement and if crew have been given specific training on this?
I think that's unlikely and they are probably not even aware of the movement - it's an insignificant meme for most of the planet. The staff member would have done the same with any passenger.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, M&M HON & SPG Plat
Is there a specific reason the UM is placed in a window seat, this isn't something I have seen before so it's interesting as sad as that may sound!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by TheFlyingPanda
Is there a specific reason the UM is placed in a window seat, this isn't something I have seen before so it's interesting as sad as that may sound!
UMs can have pre-assigned seats believe it or not. Also children (and adults such as I myself) often like to look out the window. Lastly the row is near the aft galley where crew can keep an eye on the UM and blocking the aisle to allow the UM some room and no intrusion by a random stranger is not unreasonable given the anxiety some UMs may feel.

I used to travel a kot as UM, I usually always had a window (pre-assigned) and crew would often try to make the flight more comfortable.

Nothing in the original post indicates the window wasn't in fact the assigned seat of the UM. It was just an opportunist trying to get a better seat by strongarming a child.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
... I don't think sending the guy to prison in the UAE for 2 years is even remotely appropriate
Agree

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
to what is in a growing nunber of counties not even a crime any longer.
Can't agree. It can become a crime if you disturb public peace, all the more by abusing maliciously of dominant position, moreover over a minor.

This guy deserves to be thrown out of a flying plane. ()
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ioto1902
Agree

Can't agree. It can become a crime if you disturb public peace, all the more by abusing maliciously of dominant position, moreover over a minor.

And the good thing is that EK don't have parachutes either .;-)
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902
Agree

So can alcohol. There's no evidence that this was he cause of the behaviour nor that such behaviour is the norm as a result of consumption. Alcohol tends to be much more likely in my experience to cause aggression and impaired judgement vs "the good stuff" which tends to mellow people. Regardless I agree with a policy forbidding consumption on or before use of public transport. I was referring to allowing it in a general sense. Absolutely on a planr, leave it alone.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by B747-437B

Why would/should they?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:00 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by theddo
^^^
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:49 am

I don't think he will see light of day again once plane lands. Even if he wanted to make a political statement, ex-DXB would have been a better choice, unless crew decides to go back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.