Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auto upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Pretty sure that's been around for a while, however EK is pretty good at getting the right seat selection for me automatically I find. The window nearest the front where the aisle is selected but middle is empty, that's my go-to.
I've only got one booking with EK at the moment where I usually have a few, so not been going in to check things as often and may have missed it.

I've never had a seat automatically selected, normally do it when booking and as I'm normally a very early booker I get a wide choice. Next year's might be different when I get round to booking those.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
I've only got one booking with EK at the moment where I usually have a few, so not been going in to check things as often and may have missed it.

I've never had a seat automatically selected, normally do it when booking and as I'm normally a very early booker I get a wide choice. Next year's might be different when I get round to booking those.
Do you have a seat preference set in your account? Mine is set to window so I always have window seats automatically selected when I book.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:33 am

Do you have a seat preference set in your account? Mine is set to window so I always have window seats automatically selected when I book.
I do (aisle) but I've never noticed a seat being selected for me. I've always gone in and selected my own during/immediately after the booking process.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:35 am

Anyone have any clue how this works?

Currently waitlisted for F for a miles upgrade - guess that's the same?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Yes if you select auto upgrade what exactly happens?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by daisymay2
Yes if you select auto upgrade what exactly happens?
Presumably, if an upgrade becomes possible and you're next on the list the miles (if sufficient) are automatically deducted from your account and you are upgraded, automatically.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:06 pm

Presumably, if an upgrade becomes possible and you're next on the list the miles (if sufficient) are automatically deducted from your account and you are upgraded, automatically.
Yes that's clear, what is less clear is what if there is more people on that list than seats.

You'd presume status would count then?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Yes that's clear, what is less clear is what if there is more people on that list than seats.

You'd presume status would count then?
See earlier on on the thread. FIFO. First come, First serve. Someone else guessed lowest fare type first (more miles required)
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:03 am

See earlier on on the thread. FIFO. First come, First serve. Someone else guessed lowest fare type first (more miles required)
I doubt its FIFO. Do you have proof?

Surely status counts here?

I know for a fact I've got seats over golds before. If it is first come first serve its another nail in the Skywards program coffin.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:25 am

I doubt its FIFO. Do you have proof?

Surely status counts here?

I know for a fact I've got seats over golds before. If it is first come first serve its another nail in the Skywards program coffin.
Of course I don't have proof. The speculative nature of the above is pretty evident in the original discussion earlier in the thread.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:20 am

If it is first come first serve its another nail in the Skywards program coffin.
It's no good for elites, but it could make it more popular for the majority who way outnumber and outspend them. On the other hand, most passsengers probably won't even be aware of it.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by ft101
It's no good for elites, but it could make it more popular for the majority who way outnumber and outspend them. On the other hand, most passsengers probably won't even be aware of it.
Well, let's look at who's going to have sufficient miles to upgrade, and have the foresight to use such a feature. You'll probably find 90% of the users of the auto-upgrade feature are Silver+.

I'm not really sure which method would be best. As Gold I of course would like it to be status-based, however I do also think there is something to be said for FIFO. Revenue-wise lowest-fare first makes sense.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
How great would it be if it automatically upgraded for the combined miles amount and not the miles cost of the two individual sectors? I am guessing this will not be the case.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Flaneurs
How great would it be if it automatically upgraded for the combined miles amount and not the miles cost of the two individual sectors? I am guessing this will not be the case.
I'll let them upgrade then I'll do a re-calculation and refund.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Please let us know how that goes. A test case would go a long way to convincing me that it might work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.