Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Slack schedule + minimum connection time = nearly nine hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG

I fly from Lusaka to Manchester a couple of times year. The timetable is awful becuase the inbound from LUN (which starts in Harare) is scheduled to arrive at 6.40am which means the morning Manchester flight is outside the MCT and so you end up with a 7 hrs 55 mins transit. This morning we landed just before 6.05am and so we would have had ample time to make the connection to the 7.35am. If the Lusaka flight was scheduled to come in a bit earlier it would turn a 27 hour door to door journey into less than 20 which with overnight in economy is a much better proposition. As it is a slack schedule makes for a much longer journey.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Did you try ask the transfer desk if they could switch you to the earlier flight? Not sure if EK allows this or has a policy on it but given you could have made it you might have had some luck
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That's the problem with connecting at a major hub.... so many combinations are possible that chances are that you will not get a perfect connection.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
That's the problem with connecting at a major hub.... so many combinations are possible that chances are that you will not get a perfect connection.
Not looking for perfect connection (most of mine are around 3 hours but nearly nine hours when there are three flights to Manchester is tough). Would love there to be a fourth flight...
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:03 am

There are shorter flights with both *A and SkyTeam, via either JNB/ADD/NBO and then another connection in Europe, it might be more expensive and requires 2 connections, but you can easily cut off 4-5 hours....
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
There are shorter flights with both *A and SkyTeam, via either JNB/ADD/NBO and then another connection in Europe, it might be more expensive and requires 2 connections, but you can easily cut off 4-5 hours....
I know there are other options but keeping my flight with Emirates as much as I can means I remain silver. If I started using other carriers I would lose this. I won't fly via NBO due to problems colleagues have had when flights go technical.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
I fly from Lusaka to Manchester a couple of times year. The timetable is awful becuase the inbound from LUN (which starts in Harare) is scheduled to arrive at 6.40am which means the morning Manchester flight is outside the MCT and so you end up with a 7 hrs 55 mins transit. This morning we landed just before 6.05am and so we would have had ample time to make the connection to the 7.35am. If the Lusaka flight was scheduled to come in a bit earlier it would turn a 27 hour door to door journey into less than 20 which with overnight in economy is a much better proposition. As it is a slack schedule makes for a much longer journey.
I feel your pain. I've spent a lot of time at both DXB and DOH. I'll have the same connection arriving from Zim next month. They might have beeen able to help, at the transfer desk, but any checked luggage would still arrive on the later flight. I'll probably get freshened up and just get some work done in the lounge. Anyway, console yourself; it's DXB, not NBO.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
I know there are other options but keeping my flight with Emirates as much as I can means I remain silver. If I started using other carriers I would lose this. I won't fly via NBO due to problems colleagues have had when flights go technical.
If you fly this route several times a year, and you can save 8-10 hours for each r/t, wouldn't it make more sense to switch to either a SkyTeam or *A carrier(s) and gain status with them?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
If you fly this route several times a year, and you can save 8-10 hours for each r/t, wouldn't it make more sense to switch to either a SkyTeam or *A carrier(s) and gain status with them?
No becuase two or three returns would not get me status.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut
I feel your pain. I've spent a lot of time at both DXB and DOH. I'll have the same connection arriving from Zim next month. They might have beeen able to help, at the transfer desk, but any checked luggage would still arrive on the later flight. I'll probably get freshened up and just get some work done in the lounge. Anyway, console yourself; it's DXB, not NBO.
I tired to move to the early flight becuase we landed early but they wouldn't entertain it. It's the same flight that starts in Harare and calls in to Lusaka and it was absolutely full (tried to use points to upgrade but business was full so well). I'd rather be in Dubai than NBO but this time it felt worse than usuala because we landed before 6am and so I would have made the connection. I had a sleep and a shower and then did some work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.