EK 77W First or SQ 77W Business?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

EK 77W First or SQ 77W Business?

2 Options:

JNB-DXB-HND (77W/77L) First Class
IST-SIN-NRT (Refitted 772/77W) Business Class

The fare difference is EK F being USD 700 more expensive than SQ J.

Just purely for overall experience, counting the cost difference, which option is worth taking?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Of course first is nicer than business class.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sushimaru
2 Options:

Just purely for overall experience, counting the cost difference, which option is worth taking?

This is not really a comparison - f wins every time for the attentive service. Being in a cabin of 8 vs 30 plus wins.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. My apology for the obvious question raised. Emirates is giving really good deals on F from one of African cities (as discussed well on Premium Fare Deals forum) so wanted to double-check.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:11 am

2 Options:

This is probably a dumb question, but you are comparing a departure from JNB to Tokyo vs. a departure from IST to Tokyo?? Those two aren't relatively close to each other, so I'm probably missing something in your comparison.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by badgersfly
This is probably a dumb question, but you are comparing a departure from JNB to Tokyo vs. a departure from IST to Tokyo?? Those two aren't relatively close to each other, so I'm probably missing something in your comparison.
My origin is actually DEL. But I want to enjoy long-haul premium experience to TYO on a good deal and the best I could come up were EK ex-MPM (via JNB and DXB) and SQ ex-CAI (via IST and SIN). So JNB and IST are just transit points if nothing else.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: Skywards
My origin is actually DEL. But I want to enjoy long-haul premium experience to TYO on a good deal and the best I could come up were EK ex-MPM (via JNB and DXB) and SQ ex-CAI (via IST and SIN). So JNB and IST are just transit points if nothing else.
Check the ex CMB fares, also very good most of the times (and a lot closer to DEL)
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
DEL-MPM-JNB-DXB-HND or DEL-CAI-IST-SIN-NRT ?!?
Are you flying Imperial Airways ?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kuroko
Check the ex CMB fares, also very good most of the times (and a lot closer to DEL)
Not anymore to TYO.

Originally Posted by ioto1902
DEL-MPM-JNB-DXB-HND or DEL-CAI-IST-SIN-NRT ?!? Are you flying Imperial Airways?
Actually, there are no direct flights between DEL-CAI nor DEL-MPM. My plan is DEL-IST-MPM-JNB-DXB-HND or DEL-ADD-CAI-IST-SIN-NRT. Sort of like Imperial Airways - but with much better products
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by kuroko
Ex cmb is kind of dead.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: Miles&More AirNZ BA Emirates Finnair Plus
AKL - DXB on the 777 in F such a disappointment!

Few weeks ago I came back from AKL to DXB in F and my impression was that of a waste of money. I should have booked in J as usual. I asked for the main course skipping caviar and entrees, it was a simple chicken and rice dish but what I got was unbelievable, the rice was a hard crust like it had been nuked for 10 minutes with few pieces of chicken a in a sea of brown sauce. I think I never got in Y anything more disgusting. Thinking twice it might have been a leftover from Y reheated.
If I were you I'd choose J either in EK or SQ .
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tiharoa
Few weeks ago I came back from AKL to DXB in F and my impression was that of a waste of money. I should have booked in J as usual. I asked for the main course skipping caviar and entrees, it was a simple chicken and rice dish but what I got was unbelievable, the rice was a hard crust like it had been nuked for 10 minutes with few pieces of chicken a in a sea of brown sauce. I think I never got in Y anything more disgusting. Thinking twice it might have been a leftover from Y reheated.
Sounds lke an unusual experience. I've flown a good number of segments in EK F including DXB-AKL and have never had anything similar happen (I have had a service issue on one flight only but noting like you describe).
For a long journey and an upgraded lounge experience in DXB I would certainly consider F over J if the difference in cost isn't a major issue.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR

Re the reply post from Pomwiki - couldn't agree more. Very strange indeed...

I wonder is the clue in the poster's name "tiharoa'.... and the fact that it's a first post? Not that I am of a suspicious nature
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:09 am

Recommending that someone choose J over F because of one inedible meal on a 14 hour sector - on a service that provides dine on demand from any and all meals on board - clearly implies that the recommendation needs to be taken in the context that the poster places an...emphasis.. on the quality of food over the other benefits of being in F (e.g. smaller cabin, bigger seat/suite etc.)

If you fall into that category then I would certainly recommend going in J and spending the difference on a couple of 3 star Michelin dining experiences or whatever culinary thing does it for you.

However, if the food quality isn't the most critical aspect of the decision, then EK F is a decent product with very tangible benefits over EK J (especially if you get a 77W J seat compared to a 77W F suite). You can even get better food in the DXB F lounge
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:50 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Did you mention this to the crew?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.