Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Is the end of Airbus A380 near? How will EK deal with that?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the end of Airbus A380 near? How will EK deal with that?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philduck
One of the issues not addressed is what do you do with an A380 when the airline believes it has reached its useful service, 10/12 years? There is currently no demand for the aircraft from other users. Singapore Airlines will be in this situation very soon with their early deliveries.
Is that really the life span (10/12 yrs) of the A380 or is that airline specific? If I'm not mistaken, the Boeing 747-400s had a life span of 20 years.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Monarch man
unsubstantiated rumours on other websites of parked airframes, mostly of the large 4 engined Airbus variety.
These appear to be false rumours.

I was curious, so I checked flight radar where the A380 fleet is, one by one.

All but 3 of Emirates' 80+ A380s are currently flying or have flown in the last 24-48hrs. Of the 3, A6-EDY and A6-EOB flew in the month of July while A6-EDL flew in June.

Last edited by extramileage; Jul 27, 2016 at 4:33 am Reason: more detail.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
All but 3 of Emirates' 80+ A380s are currently flying or have flown in the last 24-48hrs. Of the 3, A6-EDY and A6-EOB flew in the month of July while A6-EDL flew in June.
A6-EDL entered maintenance on the 6/6/16 according to THE EK Source, but doesn't appear on their fleet listing any more.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:18 am

All but 3 of Emirates' 80+ A380s are currently flying or have flown in the last 24-48hrs.
Have flown in last 48 hours doesn't imply all frames being fully utilized. EK may rotate all frames yet have crappy fleet wide utilization.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by avcritic
Have flown in last 48 hours doesn't imply all frames being fully utilized. EK may rotate all frames yet have crappy fleet wide utilization.
Absolutely - but this was to just disprove the rumor that there many parked airframes.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by ft101
A6-EDL entered maintenance on the 6/6/16 according to THE EK Source, but doesn't appear on their fleet listing any more.

All 3 frames are in DXB for maintenance....

A6-EDL is most likely in for a heavy 3C check which has usually taken EK 55 days to complete. It's very much similar in scope to a traditional D check and takes place about every 6 years. Check this out:

The other 2 are most likely in for painting, cabin refurbishment and A checks...
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Str1tch
All 3 frames are in DXB for maintenance....

A6-EDL is most likely in for a heavy 3C check which has usually taken EK 55 days to complete.
I wonder if it automatically drops off The EK Source fleet listing after a certain amount of inactivity? Not something I've ever looked for before.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:44 am

Absolutely - but this was to just disprove the rumor that there many parked airframes.
Whether an airline mothballs its frames (or) try to be sneaky and rotate spare frames thru the system, doesn't fix underlying overcapacity issue.

Mothballed frames generate negative coverage because bloggers write stories about those, but they don't have enough skills to figure out if airline rotates spare capacity.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:18 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Whether an airline mothballs its frames (or) try to be sneaky and rotate spare frames thru the system, doesn't fix underlying overcapacity issue.

Mothballed frames generate negative coverage because bloggers write stories about those, but they don't have enough skills to figure out if airline rotates spare capacity.
Come on then, give us some of your expert analysis.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'm so glad I didn't have a drink in my mouth when I read that. Could have been the end of my laptop .

S
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
FWIW most rumors about EK on a forum named after a dried fruit turned out to be true than other forums claim to promote only facts. Because they are the ones close to operations than bloggers and travel agents.

So if a pilot says there is overcapacity situation, it must be the truth.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
FWIW most rumors about EK on a forum named after a dried fruit turned out to be true than other forums claim to promote only facts. Because they are the ones close to operations than bloggers and travel agents.

So if a pilot says there is overcapacity situation, it must be the truth.
Not necessarily. EK pilots are pretty in the dark on ops decisions and fleet strategy. An EK Captain relative found out from me that EK was restarting A380 service to JNB, despite his vested interest in such a route so if it had been known in the company he would have known.

Also no need to be shy about a link to said thread on pprune...?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Not necessarily. EK pilots are pretty in the dark on ops decisions and fleet strategy.
Of course no great management would let their decisions and strategies to their core employees, but usually employees can figure out why there are more birds sunbathing.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
EK was restarting A380 service to JNB, despite his vested interest in such a route so if it had been known in the company he would have known.
On what basis does EK decide which route requires an A380? I always wondered why there is an A380 on the BOM-DXB route. It is a 3 hour flight. Does the J & F classes even get fully utilized?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Redhat72
On what basis does EK decide which route requires an A380? I always wondered why there is an A380 on the BOM-DXB route. It is a 3 hour flight. Does the J & F classes even get fully utilized?
Even though PR spin says they do lot of number crunching, reality suggests showoff factor, rub competition and crew availability seems to dictate they fleet deployment strategy.

Send a A380 and expect Travel Agents to fill it. But TAs are not performing at their best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.