Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

WOW! EK Downgrades LAX-DXB Out of the Gate!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WOW! EK Downgrades LAX-DXB Out of the Gate!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by nomii

emirates makes big news when they add an a380 showing jennifer aniston taking showers and hanging out at the bar, but are very quiet when they swap that advertised experience off.
I've obviously been missing out - big time

Can remember seeing Ms. Aniston in her fluffy white dressing gown ; but this apparently uncensored version of the TV ad, showing her actually taking showers sounds far more entertaining.........
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
WOW. OP seems to have disappeared....
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS, Emirates iO (Invitation Only)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You mean that they should have checked with you first before they made the change? Or maybe your PA?
No no, not his PA, his Executive assistant!

In all seriousness though, I understand where the OP is coming from, but the issue is so small that I don't understand why he is so outraged over it.
The way I read his first post, the email notification he received was a schedule change that said nothing about change in aircraft. He only learned this by check MMB. So technically he wasnt notified of the change from A380 to 777, but only of a schedule change.

Should EK have done a better job communicating the change in aircraft? Yes.
But he did find out and was able to switch to the earlier flight so I don't see the issue anymore.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by EKXXX
Good Point - I had heard this too. Any pics?
Sorry no I didn't take any. The one big difference is the window seats as the back of the suite goes to the ceiling now is you couldn't sand up and look into the front or rear suite. Also some massive screens and some nice stars on the carpet. ^
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by nomii
, because emirates makes big news when they add an a380 showing jennifer aniston taking showers and hanging out at the bar, but are very quiet when they swap that advertised experience off.
They have 80 of them already!! If your a regular EK customer, chances are your not gonna be able to avoid a 380 even if you try. That Jennifer Aniston commercial was way before EK even started a 2nd daily 380 to LAX (which they have not cancelled, only taken off the schedule for 2 months a year). So all is still as "Jennifer" advertised and all is well in the world
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
They have 80 of them already!! If your a regular EK customer, chances are your not gonna be able to avoid a 380 even if you try. That Jennifer Aniston commercial was way before EK even started a 2nd daily 380 to LAX (which they have not cancelled, only taken off the schedule for 2 months a year). So all is still as "Jennifer" advertised and all is well in the world
I used to avoid the a380 and its undoubted that the service is better in j and f on the 77w.

Now I can't really avoid it but do enjoy the shower on occasion especially for longer flights or early starts. I do have some sympathy but the op can change his flight or re book. It's not like walking onto a two class plane swapped at the last minute or even getting sky cruisers when you expected suites...
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Chinatrader - you're correct, EK just switched my flight from the late evening LAX-DXB 777 flight to the late afternoon A380 flight (and the subsequent flight to JED). To be absolutely transparent to those who think I over-reacted (yeah, I probably did after a couple of glasses of wine), I did NOT receive an email from EK indicating that my aircraft type had been changed (as a few posters have intimated). What I received was an email stating that my arrival time in DXB had changed. I believe the subject line on the email was "FLIGHT TIME CHANGE". It was only because I went to MANAGE MY BOOKING to see why it would take 20 minutes longer for the plane to arrive in DXB (didn't make all that much difference because my wait time in DXB was 3-4 hours) that I noticed that the aircraft itself had changed. So, to Subject and other posters, I didn't receive notification of an aircraft change at all. Were I not a stickler for detail, I could have easily walked up to the gate in October and thought "what's this?!".

In the end, it was an easy fix by just changing to the earlier flight. But like someone said, the reason I fly EK to DXB and onward to JED (and have done so for the last 3 or so years) is because I happen to like the A380 experience - yes, the shower facility is probably the primary reason (sorry to all of you who think it is a 'gimmick') as well as enjoying a drink or two (three?) with fellow passengers in the rear of the business cabin.

Was the aircraft change the end of the world - clearly no. Was the lack of transparent communication from EK unfortunate, in my opinion, clearly yes.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Sorry, Boston - I just returned home from a LONG day in gloves doing surgeries. Not avoiding dialogue in any way.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by pacman3
Chinatrader - you're correct, EK just switched my flight from the late evening LAX-DXB 777 flight to the late afternoon A380 flight (and the subsequent flight to JED). To be absolutely transparent to those who think I over-reacted (yeah, I probably did after a couple of glasses of wine), I did NOT receive an email from EK indicating that my aircraft type had been changed (as a few posters have intimated). What I received was an email stating that my arrival time in DXB had changed. I believe the subject line on the email was "FLIGHT TIME CHANGE". It was only because I went to MANAGE MY BOOKING to see why it would take 20 minutes longer for the plane to arrive in DXB (didn't make all that much difference because my wait time in DXB was 3-4 hours) that I noticed that the aircraft itself had changed. So, to Subject and other posters, I didn't receive notification of an aircraft change at all. Were I not a stickler for detail, I could have easily walked up to the gate in October and thought "what's this?!".

In the end, it was an easy fix by just changing to the earlier flight. But like someone said, the reason I fly EK to DXB and onward to JED (and have done so for the last 3 or so years) is because I happen to like the A380 experience - yes, the shower facility is probably the primary reason (sorry to all of you who think it is a 'gimmick') as well as enjoying a drink or two (three?) with fellow passengers in the rear of the business cabin.

Was the aircraft change the end of the world - clearly no. Was the lack of transparent communication from EK unfortunate, in my opinion, clearly yes.
Try being downgraded with no Notice and no compensation!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:02 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
What a fascinating thread, including some stunning DYKWIA comments Some would say “much ado about nothing”
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:18 am

Thread title is brutally misleading. Please, some mods, change it!

While it's unfortunate, comparing SQ's 777 with Saudia is a joke.

Otherwise, OP please inform us if Saudia also serves Champagne
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

.................................................. ....

Otherwise, OP please inform us if Saudia also serves Champagne
Longstanding aficionados of Saudia assure me that the onboard vintage Riyadh 1998 (available exclusively to pax travelling F on intercontinental routes) compares very favourably to Dom Pérignon 2004 .....
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by pacman3
Sorry, Boston - I just returned home from a LONG day in gloves doing surgeries. Not avoiding dialogue in any way.
Drinking the night before performing surgeries!!!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:12 am

Pilots do.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
How is this comment relevant to the discussion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.