Onboard F&B

Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:38 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I have never had a spicy vegan meal on an Emirates flight. This is in J. I asked someone who orders the ovo-lacto meals in J and they said the same. My meals are typically vegetables and rice or quinoa along with the salad and more vegetables. The ovo-lacto are pasta and vegetables often with a red sauce with a salad and more vegetables and cheese. The meals would benefit from some spice, quite honestly.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Just don't order Asian Vegetarian. Order lacto-ovo which is generic vegetarian.
That's what we've ordered but people have said that that can be spicy.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I have never had a spicy vegan meal on an Emirates flight. This is in J. I asked someone who orders the ovo-lacto meals in J and they said the same. My meals are typically vegetables and rice or quinoa along with the salad and more vegetables. The ovo-lacto are pasta and vegetables often with a red sauce with a salad and more vegetables and cheese. The meals would benefit from some spice, quite honestly.
I was talking about in economy.
In J yes less spicy and some pasta but I would say I've had spicy 50% of the time in J as well. Always lots of beans too which aren't a good thing at 37,000 feet
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by daisymay2
I was talking about in economy.
In J yes less spicy and some pasta but I would say I've had spicy 50% of the time in J as well. Always lots of beans too which aren't a good thing at 37,000 feet
I don't know about EK as I'm about to fly first time but based on my experience with other airlines (Lufthansa, United), the special meal (AVML specifically) seems to be the same for Y & J especially on flights not departing from India. The appetizer & dessert may be different but the main course in J seem to have the same vegetable dish as that of a special meal ordered in Y.

I will be surprised if they have different dishes for the a special meal ordered in different classes.

You may want to check your EK profile to see whether you have put a different meal preference by mistake e.g. AVML instead of Lacto-ovo. I had that happen long time back when I switched my meal preference in my LH profile which overrode the meal that I ordered when I booked it through an agent.

At times, on long haul routes, I also call the airline in advance to ensure my meal preference is correct. This has to be done 48 hours before departure.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:25 am

Yesterday on EK418

Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
<< You may want to check your EK profile to see whether you have put a different meal preference by mistake e.g. AVML instead of Lacto-ovo >>

Nope its Lacto-ovo and I also request that on manage my booking every time and the meal states lacto ovo when it arrives.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Many interesting opinions here.

There may be brands that taste far better than Godiva or DomPe (though taste is personal matter), but, when you have to serve tens of thousands of J pax every day, you need to have brands that speak to everyone.

Otherwise, why choose Bvlgari for the amenity kit ? The poach itself is nothing exceptional.

As for chocolates, Godiva tastes good for a mass-product. Is it over-marketed ? Yes, like most renowned brands. So what ? People are happy to have it (mostly ladies ).

On the other hand, Godiva is absolutely not suited for F. It is not high-end enough. EK should select one of the many excellent artisan-chocolatiers in Belgium or France (You can't beat history).

And, personally, I prefer Deutz over DomPe .

Originally Posted by avcritic
Are you sure? Godiva is a mass produced Turkish brand chocolates, ...
If people chose brands based on their owners, fewer people would probably buy a Jaguar or a Volvo ...
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I am on EK768 in J right now (JNB-DXB) and was handed Godivas. I asked about them changing and the lovely FA said they had the other one too, so I did a side-by-side comparison.

1. The Godiva box is larger, but the Coco Jalila feels a little more sturdy/solid
2. The Coco Jalila chocolates are wrapped a 2nd time inside the box in high-quality paper.
3. The size of the actual chocolates is virtually the same.
4. I wasn't able to notice any significant difference in quality and enjoyed them both.

all in all, not a major change and Godiva is still around as well.

Oh but the Coco Jalila seal is much harder to peel off than Godiva's!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Oh but the Coco Jalila seal is much harder to peel off than Godiva's!
If the box is similar, open it from the bottom. That's what I do with the Godiva ones as the seal is just a pain.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold
The Godivas are still on board. Pax complained about getting the same chocolates on every flight so EK mixed it up. There will be one brand outbound and a different brand inbound. If you don't get the one you want, just ask and I'm sure the crew would be happy to change it for you.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
If the box is similar, open it from the bottom. That's what I do with the Godiva ones as the seal is just a pain.
great tip, thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by jackiedada
Was surprised to see the familiar Godiva chocs being replaced by "Coco Jalila" - I literally cringed when I saw the packaging. Was informed by the FA that starting this month, EK shall not be serving Godivas in J - those are reserved for F pax. She finally got me a couple of Godivas from F looking at the forlorn look on my face....

Sorry EK - these "Artisanal Chocolates" are definitely not my idea of artisan chocolates
FYI
No more Godiva on F either on my flight. Replaced by "Rococo chocolates" supposed to be "made in Belgium".

I found the taste bitter and chalky. Anyway, taste is subjective.
Attached Images   
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:36 pm

Had Godiva yesterday on DXB-MRU - EK071.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:39 am

It seems that there is a four-pieces version of that Coco Jalila.
No indication of production place.
In my opinion, taste is better than Rococo chocolates (three were milk chocolates though).
The only annoyance is that, on this ME inbound flight, the pieces were melted, though they didn't seem so when opening the box ...
Attached Images    
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Were you flying CDG DXB?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.