Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard F&B

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Redhat72
Flying J from BOM-DXB-JFK. Being a Vegetarian, I generally select the Asian Vegetarian meal (AVML). Not too concerned about the BOM-DXB flight and might skip the meal as BOM lounge will feed me. But what should I expect on the DXB-JFK flight? Does that leg offer any vegetarian options if I decide not to book the AVML meal?
You can check the menu of the flight online on the EK website.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
But what should I expect on the DXB-JFK flight? Does that leg offer any vegetarian options if I decide not to book the AVML meal?
EK Ultra Long Haul flights typically always used to have at least one vegetarian option (if not more) but this has not been the case on some of my recent flights to JFK - the menu options have shrunk a lot and it is not what it used to be before.

If you are strictly vegetarian, I would strongly recommend pre-ordering an AVML to avoid disappointment during the flight.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I had these chocolates last week and then again two days ago. I used to work in the chocolate industry so I like to think I know a bit about these things. They are the same quality or better than Godiva....don't let the name brand fool you. They are both industrial produced chocolate, Godiva just spends more money on marketing.
I had them as well (and got Godiva on the way back), so it's not exclusively these. It's not the first time EK swapped out the Godiva chocolates with something else for short periods and/or destination.

They were fine... packaging could be better and the brand is well, unknown. Putting "Made in Dubai" also isn't the best attribute for chocolate, however.

Put your pitchforks down, people!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jackiedada
Just so that we are clear on this, I never said they were bad or subpar.
When asked if you tried them, the response was "I didn't dare to.... "

How is that not stating or implying that they are bad/subpar
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:11 am

Just so that we are clear on this, I never said they were bad or subpar. EK just changed the chocolates being served in J and I wanted to bring that on the forum. I don't eat chocolates on EK now (and avoid airline food in general) but as someone who does EK long haul several times a year for close to 15 years now, it just caught my eye immediately and I wanted to point that out. I loved Godivas in my younger years and so I cringed on seeing them gone.

Now, I did open the box though. The box quality and the printing definitely seemed poorer than the Godivas. The chocolates also seemed smaller in size than the Godivas, with none of the gloss that one associates with fine chocolates. They were identical looking, square in shape and with no design or markings on them - one milk and one dark. To me they didn't look enticing enough, so I simply kept them away. At which point the FA came and replaced them with 2 Godivas from F.

Sometimes, you don't need to try out something to get a sense of how it might taste or might be. The packaging and general look communicates a lot. Even if these are are the worlds best chocolates, they definitely didn't look that part, at least to me.
Frankly I think you're getting confused yourself about what it is you want to say, particularly as the responses on this thread do not seem to be what you had expected.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:09 am

Just so that we are clear on this, I never said they were bad or subpar.
In FT dictionary "enhancement" means "reduction in product/service quality".

And don't worry EK will go back to mass produced variety very quickly because no artisan(if they really are) producer can supply enough for EK and cannot offer same level of discounts.

BTW Godiva was owned by a cheap canned soup company before it was sold to a Turkish food processing company.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When asked if you tried them, the response was "I didn't dare to.... "

How is that not stating or implying that they are bad/subpar
I didn't imply anything more than what I wrote - the chocolates were not visually appealing enough for me to take a go at them. I opened the box out of curiosity but balked after looking at them....

What you perceived of that is altogether different though....
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by stargold
...particularly as the responses on this thread do not seem to be what you had expected.
And what might that have the expectation been?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:18 am

And I thought Godiva was subpar...

Tasted them and happy to report that it'll save me some gym time.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: EK Gold, FB Silver
Yeah I got the same on my J flight today. Didn't look good so I didn't touch them... (being Belgian, there's only one country that makes real chocolates ;-)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by gorbatzjov
Yeah I got the same on my J flight today. Didn't look good so I didn't touch them... (being Belgian, there's only one country that makes real chocolates ;-)
True, nothing can beat a bar of good Swiss chocolate!

Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You can check the menu of the flight online on the EK website.
Thx. I did check and not many Veg options.

EK Ultra Long Haul flights typically always used to have at least one vegetarian option (if not more) but this has not been the case on some of my recent flights to JFK - the menu options have shrunk a lot and it is not what it used to be before.

If you are strictly vegetarian, I would strongly recommend pre-ordering an AVML to avoid disappointment during the flight.
I'm not strictly veg (eat eggs) but I did not find any options in the lunch menu on the DXB-JFK flight when I checked the menu. So I will stick with AVML.

What about the bar food options? What do they typically keep there as far as food is concerned. Any sweet delicacies?

Not that I eat a whole lot on a flight but just curious. I do have a sweet tooth, so that way I won't chomp on the dessert that comes with AVML - most of the times, I have found the dessert to be not that good.

* You can tell I'm hungry. Guess, time for me to eat my dinner *
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:33 am

I'm not strictly veg (eat eggs) but I did not find any options in the lunch menu on the DXB-JFK flight when I checked the menu. So I will stick with AVML.
Well, most EK staff consider eggs to be vegetarian . What I meant was If you don't eat meat or fish, you can find yourself out of options. I have seen lunch/ dinner menus without a singe vegetarian option which is why it is safer to preorder the AVML - if not the crew will try to get it from F or Y if they have some spare vegetarian meals left. Alternately, get something from the crew meals as a last resort - depends on the crew on that day. But all this can be avoid by simply preordering the AVML.

What about the bar food options? What do they typically keep there as far as food is concerned. Any sweet delicacies?
Mainly small bites - sandwiches, small cupcakes, brownies, fruit sticks etc. Not enough to fill your stomach, and not good enough to go for a second helping. At least that's been my experience. As they are kept out in the open - they tend to get dry/ hard fairly quickly. They used to have ice-cream (my favorite at one point in time) on the JFK route but stopped 2 years ago. Both quality and variety have been going downhill steadily as far as food is concerned....

If you like alcohol though, you could have plenty to keep you busy though....
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:31 am

Well, most EK staff consider eggs to be vegetarian .
Virtually the entire world would consider eggs vegetarian, OP is likely Indian. In India eggs are classified as "non-vegetarian" and any food item containing egg should not be consumed by strict vegetarians of the Hindu faith. I've embarrassed myself before asking for egg fried rice in a strictly veg restaurant.

As a former vegetarian it annoys me a little too much that people consider eggs non-veg
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: Skywards
delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.