Wiki Posts
Search

I should be watching my 9

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
I should be watching my 9

I recently had the chance to fly on one of the latest A388 (3 months old), and had the surprise to discover many new features. Among others, the possibility to see what your neighbors are watching, and synchronize with your own screen.

At this point, I had two thoughts :

1) What's the point of watching exactly the same thing as your travelling companion ?

2) So, that 2-meter tall heavyweight lifter across the aisle is watching Kung Fu Panda, and the slim babyface behind the separation wall is a spook ... How counter-intuitive.
Attached Images  
Old May 29, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I actually quite like this feature and have used it a quite a bit. Nice to watch a film or TV series with a friend.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I find it's really annoying if you happen to be watching the same movie as your seatmate and they are ahead of you by a little bit. This is useful for that reason.

(This feature isn't that new)
Old May 30, 2016, 12:21 am

To be honest, I've never seen this before.

Is this available on 77W's as well?
Old May 30, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
I've watched two people try to sync up their video manually before...it was quite entertaining!
Old May 30, 2016, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ioto1902
2) So, that 2-meter tall heavyweight lifter across the aisle is watching Kung Fu Panda, and the slim babyface behind the separation wall is a spook ... How counter-intuitive.
The correct phrase is "you are what you eat", not "you are what you are watching"

Old May 30, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by murtaza12
To be honest, I've never seen this before.

Is this available on 77W's as well?
Only available on the very latest ICE (pretty much deliveries after Nov 15) - I think there's a couple of latest delivery 777s with it.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
1) What's the point of watching exactly the same thing as your travelling companion ?
Originally Posted by marconess
Nice to watch a film or TV series with a friend.
This. Just as I go to the movies or watch TV with family or friends, sharing a film on a plane would make sense. You laugh, you cry, you discuss the plot later. With family or a friend. ^

With a work colleague, it might feel a bit odd.

With the "2-meter tall heavyweight lifter across the aisle" it would be downright creepy.

And therefore:
Originally Posted by extramileage
I find it's really annoying if you happen to be watching the same movie as your seatmate and they are ahead of you by a little bit. This is useful for that reason.
While that's a practical explanation, I'd find it a bit disconcerting if the stranger in the next seat was syncing to what I'm watching. You aren't a 2-meter-tall heavyweight lifter, by any chance?
Old May 31, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Thinking aloud here..
Maybe the seat you are syncing your ICE too should get a popup alert which they need to accept and only then we can sync to their system @:-)

This will ensure only friends / family do this and approve of it

Maybe this feature also exists ??
Old May 31, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
While that's a practical explanation, I'd find it a bit disconcerting if the stranger in the next seat was syncing to what I'm watching. You aren't a 2-meter-tall heavyweight lifter, by any chance?
I disagree. Yes, intuitively it seems odd, but once you consider it, it makes sense, you don't own the right to watch that movie and it's obvious your screen may be distracting him if he's watching the same movie but a few minutes behind you. It's not like he's syncing to you looking at vacation pics of your family (would that work if one looks a photos from a pen drive on the IFE and another person syncs to it?)
Old May 31, 2016, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I disagree. Yes, intuitively it seems odd, but once you consider it, it makes sense, you don't own the right to watch that movie and it's obvious your screen may be distracting him if he's watching the same movie but a few minutes behind you. It's not like he's syncing to you looking at vacation pics of your family (would that work if one looks a photos from a pen drive on the IFE and another person syncs to it?)
It is not that obvious. Your neighbor chose to watch that particular movie (among zillions) in that particular timing. It's not as if you were going to a theater with a public schedule. Though nobody owns the right to watch that movie, it's almost as if you were watching over his shoulder.
Nothing illegal. Just weird.

It is strange that nobody is bothered by the fact that this is somehow a breach of privacy (particularly in FCL / BCL). Though, there is nothing strictly private or confidential, I would have preferred the possibility to share my screen with a neighbor, rather than a neighbor being able to sync to mine without my knowing.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
It is not that obvious. Your neighbor chose to watch that particular movie (among zillions) in that particular timing. It's not as if you were going to a theater with a public schedule. Though nobody owns the right to watch that movie, it's almost as if you were watching over his shoulder.
Nothing illegal. Just weird.

It is strange that nobody is bothered by the fact that this is somehow a breach of privacy (particularly in FCL / BCL). Though, there is nothing strictly private or confidential, I would have preferred the possibility to share my screen with a neighbor, rather than a neighbor being able to sync to mine without my knowing.
I travel mostly Y as my profile states and I regularly notice multiple pax around me all watching the same movie. Ok I'm assuming it's one of the "Whats new on ICE" movies etc, which a lot of people watch. If you're watching some vintage French language drama documentary burried in the depths of ICE it would seem more odd. Keep in mind that by syncing it could also benefit the other pax who might equally be distracted by your screen or if he/she can't see your screen they'll never know you synced so then who cares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.