Connection Time at LAX

Old May 23, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Connection Time at LAX

I'll be flying in F early next year from DXB-LAX on the A380. Scheduled to land at 7:15 PM (Terminal 2) and need to take a domestic flight to Seattle at 8:35 PM (Terminal 6). Anyone else make a connection on this flight domesitcally? Will that be enough time? I have global entry/TSA precheck and will not have any luggage, just carry on. Any advice will be appreciated!
Old May 23, 2016, 11:48 am

Emirates usually operates out of Tom Bradley International Terminal not Terminal 2. And with Global Entry, Precheck, and a carry-on I think you'll be ok as long as you already have your boarding pass and there are no delays. They may have the transit security open by then which allow you to stay in the secure area and take the TBIT-T4 connector then walk through the underground T4-T6 connector without having to reclear security. But if it's not open yet and you have to go through security again, having Precheck should make it faster.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Are you on one ticket or two tickets? If you are on ticket, you'll be protected by the airline in case of delay.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
OP: You should be OK with you connection, but there is very little room for delay.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
And if there are issues, there are a couple more later flights to SEA (you're presumably flying on AS).
Old May 23, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I'm also flying DXB-LAX on EK217 in Nov, then connecting to SEA.
I was hoping to get AS to book me the 8:35PM flight to SEA, but unfortunately, that's an illegal connection (less than the legally-allowed Minimum Connection time). I will therefore have to stick around (with a 4-year old toddler) till the next-available AS flight, which is at 11:55PM, which kinda sucks...

We're also flying FC, and both have Global Entry - though we will have checked luggage. Hoping we'll arrive early (or at least on time), and that I'll be able to switch us (and our bags) to the earlier 8:35PM flight.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by bostonbali
I was hoping to get AS to book me the 8:35PM flight to SEA, but unfortunately, that's an illegal connection (less than the legally-allowed Minimum Connection time). I will therefore have to stick around (with a 4-year old toddler) till the next-available AS flight, which is at 11:55PM, which kinda sucks

We're also flying FC, and both have Global Entry - though we will have checked luggage. Hoping we'll arrive early (or at least on time), and that I'll be able to switch us (and our bags) to the earlier 8:35PM flight.
If all else fails, at least as an FC passenger you'll have access to the Boardroom while waiting for your AS flight or standing by for an SDC.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bostonbali
I was hoping to get AS to book me the 8:35PM flight to SEA, but unfortunately, that's an illegal connection (less than the legally-allowed Minimum Connection time). I will therefore have to stick around (with a 4-year old toddler) till the next-available AS flight, which is at 11:55PM, which kinda sucks...

That's exactly what happened when I was trying to book so I booked the AS ticket separately.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
I think you'll be fine. I've flown the DXB-LAX route a number of times (and onwards to PDX) and not once has the flight arrived late. Typically, it arrives 45 minutes or so early. Even if you have luggage, it will arrive on a later AS flight - presuming its on one ticket.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by pacman3
I think you'll be fine. I've flown the DXB-LAX route a number of times (andEven if you have luggage, it will arrive on a later AS flight - presuming its on one ticket.
Surprised to read this. Why would AS allow you to switch to an earlier flight if your baggage is tagged to the later flight? I thought they don't allow you to knowingly fly without your luggage (for security reasons)?
Old May 25, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Bostonbali- my post didn't speak to the passenger being put on a later (or earlier) flight, but rather the baggage. I said that I thought the OP had plenty of time to get from the Bradley Terminal to the Alaska terminal since the flight is invariably early (at least when I've flown it). Even if it were on time, he'd have plenty of time to get to his Alaska flight and if he had luggage that didn't, it would be put on the next flight from LAX to SEA and delivered to him. Sorry for the confusion.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by pacman3
Bostonbali- my post didn't speak to the passenger being put on a later (or earlier) flight, but rather the baggage. I said that I thought the OP had plenty of time to get from the Bradley Terminal to the Alaska terminal since the flight is invariably early (at least when I've flown it). Even if it were on time, he'd have plenty of time to get to his Alaska flight and if he had luggage that didn't, it would be put on the next flight from LAX to SEA and delivered to him. Sorry for the confusion.
But that presumes luggage is checked through (which can it even be arriving international in US with customs?) which it would probably not be as it's an illegal connection as already noted. Also since luggage won't be checked through most likely it will have to be re-checked, which would mean luggage will make it as the check-in deadline is met or pax has missed the check-in deadline and neither luggage nor pax will make it.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
But that presumes luggage is checked through (which can it even be arriving international in US with customs?) which it would probably not be as it's an illegal connection as already noted. Also since luggage won't be checked through most likely it will have to be re-checked, which would mean luggage will make it as the check-in deadline is met or pax has missed the check-in deadline and neither luggage nor pax will make it.
Real question is whether I can get somebody from AS to change my flight to an earlier one if we arrive early AND tag my bag to the earlier flight. Not sure if AS has any agents or baggage services at TBIT, where we'll be arriving on the EK flight.
Assuming nobody from AS is available at arrival hall after customs in TBIT, what is my best option to getting the suitcase re-tagged to the earlier flight? I know once I check it back in with the original tag (the later flight), I probably won't be allowed to take the earlier flight, even if I show up at the gate on time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.