Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates WI-FI - How free is it

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Blue/Silver
Emirates WI-FI - How free is it

How fee is their wifi and how slow is it and is it possible to upload youtube videos or is that too much and only used for general browsing purposes
Old May 21, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
It's free for 10MB or $1 for 500MB.

The speed is pretty slow compared to what you have on the ground, but adequate for basic browsing, email and social media activities, but don't expect to be uploading much media.

The speed will also depend on how many other passengers are using the wifi.

On two recent flights I experienced:
- 3.85 Mbps down / 2.22 Mbps up
- 1.86 Mbps down / 1.01 Mbs up

I usually find 10-25 people connected simultaneously (Emirates has a little icon that displays it)
Old May 21, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
"How free is it" I always considered "free" to be binary, either something is free or it isn't.

As mentioned by extramileage, 1$ for 500MB (the 10MB free go so quickly I sometimes just directly buy the 500MB package). Once you run out it's quite expensive but clear your cookies and use a different e-mail address and you can buy the 500MB package again.

I've been able to have Skype video calls and have also had several Skype voice calls without problem, depends on how many others use it and location. It drops out at times as well depending on satellite coverage. Nearer the equator is generally better.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
I remember being able to connect to work vpn and to take care of basics (email, wiki's, etc.). Definitely not fast enough for netflix or any significant downloads.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:36 am

On a recent flight from DXB to AMS with the A380 the total connections was 55-65 people. Speed was terrible, even iMessage took forever. On busy routes don't expect to do a lot of uploading.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:49 am

Give it a couple of years for all the satellite providers to launch more satellites - there should be much better speeds then, I think.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:32 pm

Higher Price for More Bandwidth Would be Worth it

I would be willing to pay a much higher price for more bandwidth. The free or $1 price is so low that too many use the service making it nearly useless. I've sent in comments to Emirates about this and hope they may consider this option.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:50 pm

They won't make it charged for, imho - I think the point of it is a marketing tool to seed the idea that wi-fi on a plane is the new standard, so other carriers need to invest to catch up (much the same way that EK was one of the first airlines to have personal in seat IFE and why they spend so much on ICE programming), rather than a serious connectivity tool.

Once Panasonic's satellite providers have launched a load of new satellites (and they are on the case - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...l-connectivity) speeds will increase, leaving carriers who haven't invested at a distinct marketing disadvantage, and then the issue is moot.

That said, not having the best in-flight products is in no way a hindrance to profits and success! It is, though, an important product to have to differentiate - and given EK's Y class pax loads and target markets, just having it in order to be seen as a better carrier is more important than any revenue generated or bandwidth, as long as people can check whatsapp.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Mine has been pretty free so far. Bought a $1 package on both my flights and have yet to see the charges hit my credit card. This was last week in March...
Old May 22, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by marconess
Mine has been pretty free so far. Bought a $1 package on both my flights and have yet to see the charges hit my credit card. This was last week in March...
It should show up. Always has for me in the past.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It should show up. Always has for me in the past.
Mine has in the past but just checked away and it's still not posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.