Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates and shoe policy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Most of the posts in this thread confuse paid pax in class of service vs op ups. Pay for J or F and you can wear whatever you like.

Most airlines have rules for op ups, including dress codes. Using points or cash is less strict but op ups are often subject to similar policies.
So as you approach the (same) gate and hand over your (identical) boarding pass, how does the gate agent categorise you, and decide whether to let you board? There is nothing on his small screen to differentiate an op-up from a paid ticket.

We now appear to have gone from no rules to two sets of them.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:55 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ft101
So as you approach the (same) gate and hand over your (identical) boarding pass, how does the gate agent categorise you, and decide whether to let you board? There is nothing on his small screen to differentiate an op-up from a paid ticket.

We now appear to have gone from no rules to two sets of them.
This tends to happen at the check in desk rather than the gate.

I know on EY there are codes on the boarding pass that state you are an op up, it's just that pax can't decode them.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:48 pm

For EK it will depend on the number of people a controller needs to move.

It will first be done on status pax - they will be marked for an upgrade as a matter of course. That will generally not be cancelled unless a staff member calls the controller and tells them not to upgrade them (e.g. because they have been rude at check-in or are drunk). So, flip-flops and t-shirts and shorts etc. etc. is no problem.

If additional op-ups are still required, then staff will have directed check-in desk to mark passengers as safe-for-upgrade using whatever criteria they are used to (e.g. solo travellers who look "respectable"). The controller will then select as necessary.

Thus if you are a non-status pax, you have a slightly better chance if you don't look like an unkempt backpacker, but if you are an unkempt backpacker who is Platinum, then you don't need to worry.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:17 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
If additional op-ups are still required, then staff will have directed check-in desk to mark passengers as safe-for-upgrade using whatever criteria they are used to (e.g. solo travellers who look "respectable").
SFU = Suitable For Upgrade
Old May 2, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
I frequently wear Birkenstocks and have been opupped wearing them. They are easier to slip off for security and more suitable if going to hot countries (my husband picked me up from a trip to Malaysia in January when there was snow in the UK and remembered to bring a ski jacket - didn't think (didn't know) to bring shoes so I walked through the car park at MAN in 3 inches of snow with a ski jacket and Birkenstocks - not my best look!)
Old May 3, 2016, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
I frequently wear Birkenstocks and have been opupped wearing them. They are easier to slip off for security and more suitable if going to hot countries (my husband picked me up from a trip to Malaysia in January when there was snow in the UK and remembered to bring a ski jacket - didn't think (didn't know) to bring shoes so I walked through the car park at MAN in 3 inches of snow with a ski jacket and Birkenstocks - not my best look!)
Ha! Well, they're comfy and I think they look tidy as they're not flimsy like the thin beach flip flops. Anyway, I've decided to travel with closed toe shoes in carry on if flying EK economy. I need them if flying QF for lounge access also but not NZ or VA.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by astrohip
Absolutely not. I just flew EK J (A380 Houston>DXB) and there was one passenger, middle aged male, dressed in sloppy loose shorts, untucked shirt, sandals. I remember thinking "who travels looking like that".

It wasn't the J that made me think that, simply travel of any sort. But I'm old school... I always felt you should look decent to fly. Not dressed up, just clean, neat, etc. But hey, that's me.
It's you.

I've worn shirts and sandals in paid J (hopefully not 'sloppy'). Not wearing business casual in the Maldives, Mauritius thanks.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pokeable
It's you.

I've worn shirts and sandals in paid J (hopefully not 'sloppy'). Not wearing business casual in the Maldives, Mauritius thanks.
Did the same returning from Maldives . . . it was either shorts and sandals or sweaty pants and nice shirt
Old May 4, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Flying to Singapore tomorrow - any idea what I should wear?
Old May 4, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by m3red
et's wedding dress
Old May 5, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: EK, BA, AF
Originally Posted by m0hamed
SFU = Suitable For Upgrade
Yep, it is policy for most airlines that pax MUST BE SUITABLE for op upgrades, and that includes dress code.

Otherwise, if you fly in the class of travel you have paid for, unless the way you dress is deemed offensive you won't have any problems.

DOH airport is notorius for objecting to offensive t-shirts (sex, drugs and expletives), while other airports in ME (DXB, MCT), etc are less concerned
Old May 5, 2016, 12:31 am

I recommend...clothes. Just clothes.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Name:  product_detailed_image_332_272.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  53.4 KB
Old May 5, 2016, 2:42 pm
Ooi

For comfort and blend, a Dhoti, Lungi or Sarong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.