Wiki Posts
Search

21 hour layover in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Platinum
21 hour layover in Bangkok

I have a flight option that gives me a 21 hour layover in Bangkok before traveling onto Hong Kong. Will I be allowed to leave the airport and explore for 21 hours? What about my luggage? And any visa requirements? I am on a GB passport traveling in F.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by EKXXX
I have a flight option that gives me a 21 hour layover in Bangkok before traveling onto Hong Kong. Will I be allowed to leave the airport and explore for 21 hours? What about my luggage? And any visa requirements? I am on a GB passport traveling in F.
You can through-check your bags or request them to be only checked to BKK if you'd like to pick them up. I'm assuming your connecting flight is on the same ticket/PNR (probably incoming/outbound both with EK?)

I'd recommend through-checking your luggage if you have a big bag and keeping some spare clothes in hand luggage, head into the city to a hotel and have a nice dinner and drinks, explore the river and temples or the more "notorious" areas of Sukhumvit. Grab a massage, of the legit or "relaxing" variety, then head back to the airport with plenty of time.

Note: Chauffeur drive doesn't apply to BKK-HKG flights on EK if booked as a standalone and if it's a single ticket with a 21h transit you won't be eligible for chauffeur drive in BKK in my understanding. I recommend Uber.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by EKXXX
No visa issues at BKK for GBR nationals either, so leave the luggage to be checked through and enjoy BKK!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:43 am

I would suggest going to the legit taxi line downstairs to the left after customs- dont use the touts! Plenty of good hotels available in the city (agoda pretty good for bkk). Not sure what time you get in but try and see the grand palace with maybe a trip on the chao phraya river (use the public ferries)
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: EK - Silver
try banyan tree in BKK for a place to stay. its not right in the center of town, but its by the BTS (sky train). You'll find a lot of the 5* hotels in BKK are reasonably priced and use Agoda as Stuie2210 says. I recommend trying the sky bar on the 68 floor (google it)

Banytan tree is a 10 min walk to the station, or if you're feeling lazy they provide a free 'golden' tuktuk to the station. cabs are pretty cheap, but traffic can be a nightmare during rush hour.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Matt.Edwards
I recommend trying the sky bar on the 68 floor (google it)
yes, 100%!

Originally Posted by Matt.Edwards
cabs are pretty cheap, but traffic can be a nightmare during rush hour.
traffic can be disastrous, use the BTS where possible, and beware as Google Maps doesn't translate the names from Thai script. Otherwise Uber is always a safe bet, also extremely cheap.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Platinum
Thanks for all the great advice. Very excited about this trip
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: AA,UA,CX
Last time I did this, same situation but Etihad flights, I had to pay airport tax. £20, nothing at all.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by zagorsky
Last time I did this, same situation but Etihad flights, I had to pay airport tax. £20, nothing at all.
Departure tax at BKK is now included in the price of tickets.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
I often fly Manchester to Hong Kong with a 2 day stopover in Dubai and then an overnight stop in Bangkok before continuing on the 14:05 departure to Hong Kong. I travel in Business class and always get the chauffeur drive service both on arrival in Bangkok to my hotel and back to the airport the next day. Its only for people who book a ticket that's exclusively between Bangkok and Hongkong where the service is not available. Manage my Booking does not give you the option to book a car on tis sector but if you phone Emirates contact centre they will be very happy to do it for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.