Emirates over rated?

Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: A-Club Platinum, Emirates Platinum, Aegean Gold
@eternal, @ioto and @subject

Agree with everything you guys have said in your posts, I am quite new to Emirates having only started flying them in the past 2 years, however, during this time I have noticed a marked inconsistency in the crew.

This is in no way a scientific survey, but, my best experiences in First have been with Asia Cabin crew and a European Purser.

I can honestly say I as an airline, I do rate Emirates as one of the best in the world, however, the world is full of businesses that have failed because they failed to innovate and sat back on their reputation.

Perhaps the time has come for less expansion in the airline and a little consolidation before the brand becomes damaged.

I have certainly heard talk from other high value F passengers recently about trying Etihad as they are not happy.

Me, well I have a target if 500,000 Tier miles for the year so I will just keep grumbling to myself and think of the target ahead
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Antdenatale
Me, well I have a target if 500,000 Tier miles for the year so I will just keep grumbling to myself and think of the target ahead
Aiming for iO the hard way?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
@eternal, @ioto and @subject

Agree with everything you guys have said in your posts, I am quite new to Emirates having only started flying them in the past 2 years, however, during this time I have noticed a marked inconsistency in the crew.

This is in no way a scientific survey, but, my best experiences in First have been with Asia Cabin crew and a European Purser.

I can honestly say I as an airline, I do rate Emirates as one of the best in the world, however, the world is full of businesses that have failed because they failed to innovate and sat back on their reputation.

Perhaps the time has come for less expansion in the airline and a little consolidation before the brand becomes damaged.

I have certainly heard talk from other high value F passengers recently about trying Etihad as they are not happy.

I've also been committing to EK as my primary international airline for about 1.5 years now and agree regarding inconsistency, and also still think it's one of the best airlines out there.

FWIW I'm aware of several EK pilots (most Captains) who are not too happy with the company anymore and think it's not what it once was.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: A-Club Platinum, Emirates Platinum, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Aiming for iO the hard way?
Haha.....I don't think I will ever make IO....besides, I would not want to be part of any exclusive club that would have me as a member!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Haha.....I don't think I will ever make IO....besides, I would not want to be part of any exclusive club that would have me as a member!
I've always liked the Groucho (?) Marx quip ! ^

Your target of half a million tier miles in one year really is quite something - not least because Tier miles, unlike Skywards Miles, can be earned ONLY by actual flying of course.

I have just reminded myself of the numbers for a couple of 'typical' EK routes and see that a Europe to DXB return in F would earn around 15K tier miles ; and DXB to Asia return (say SIN), also in F, would bring 17.5K.

So... to get up to 500K tier miles you must be spending a lot of time onboard EK aircraft ! And considering that two of your recent flights were - by your own admission - about the worst you have experienced, service-wise, then there is a distinct dedication to the cause on your part

My intrigue re your target revolves around the end objective - assuming there actually IS one ....? Once past the 150K which brings Plat status, do you have a particular reason to aim for the half a million figure .....?

And back to the core topic ....I do think there is much in what you suggest about the merits of reigning in the seemingly frenzied pace of expansion, and that the time has come perhaps for consolidation to avoid potential long-term damage to the brand.

Last edited by subject2load; Nov 30, 2015 at 3:32 am
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
... Me, well I have a target if 500,000 Tier miles for the year so I will just keep grumbling to myself and think of the target ahead

Do you still need a home ?!?

Anyway, if I were you, I would fly on two or three companies.
1) Flying the same company is very boring, especially as far as food is concerned (be it onboard or at the lounge).
2) Achieving a high status on large alliance such as OneWorld opens advantages on all member companies.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ioto1902

1) Flying the same company is very boring, especially as far as food is concerned (be it onboard or at the lounge).
2) Achieving a high status on large alliance such as OneWorld opens advantages on all member companies.

+ 1

With the amount you must be spending, I am very surprised that you are not (pardon the expression ) spreading it around more ......
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:32 am

I think the problem is that, given Antdenatale clearly flies a significant amount, I would assume he places a big premium on direct flights and generally spending as little time as possible travelling. At that level of flying, even having an hour or two car journey to AUH I think would be a hassle, let alone having a connecting flight somewhere with associated transit time.

That leaves DXB, where the choice is a different carrier for each destination or EK. So, kinda makes sense someone with significant frequent travel needs might choose only EK at DXB.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:08 am

I'm hoping you are on ek18 on the 29th Dec and we can chat over some paradis (I mean DP)

Do you know yet?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:59 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
A Few Observations From My Last Two Flights

Flew GLA-DXB on 30 Nov and DXB-PEK on 1 Dec with a transit time of 3 hours.

We started off with a bit of a giggle after the Captains welcome PA. Yesterday was the patron Saint Of Scotland, Saint Andrews Day. The captain, who was a fellow Scot, wished everybody a happy St. Patricks Day and never corrected himself.

The flight departed GLA late due to late arriving inbound. As all FQTV will be aware, when a delay in departure is incurred, the Cabin Crew tend to be rushing about getting things prepared for departure including welcome drinks. Yesterday, these continued to be handed out to passengers during the taxi as we were half way or more to the runway. The aircraft sat at the runway holding point for 5 minutes for I assume, the cabin to be reported secure, and were busy running through the cabin collecing glasses, full and empty.

During the flight we were told we would be served lunch and then ice cream before landing. I pointed out to the CC that I had ordered a Gluten Free SPML. When lunch time came, the tables were set up and the crew got busy dishing out the lunches. On observation, it did seem quite haphasard the way they were doing it. One to the back, two to the middle, one to the front and lastly my tray arrived with the standard side salad, bread (best GF bread on an aircraft and had a look around to check if others had the same as I was getting suspicious if it was GF because it looked too good but all a pax around had different bread), and starter of cold chicken salad.

After a few rounds of wine (not for me) and water top-ups from the crew, plates were removed and others started getting their main dishes served. As I was patiently waiting and wondering where mine was, the crew started to serve others with their desserts. One of the crew members looking after my side (nice wee lassie but gave the impression she was fairly new) stopped at me to take my crockery and cutlery away and I mentioned that I hadn't had a main course yet, to which her reply was "I think that was what was on your tray but I'll go and check". My thought were 'I'm in business here, surely my whole meal won't come on one tray '. Two minutes later, said Cabin Crew arrived and profusely apologised and sat my main meal down on my plate which what I thought consisted of a nice chunk of fish, a tomato sauce, some vegetables and rice. On closer inspection, the white fish was another chunk of chicken that had obviously been left in the oven forgotten about.

Other pax arround were tucking in to their desserts after being asked there preference and whilst I picked through my bland chicken and rice. The nicest bit on the plate was the 5 green beans . Once it was noted that I had finished, the crew took my plate away with no mention of dessert. So I waited and waited and eventually as the purser was walking past a good ten minutes later, the other crew member pointed out I hadn't had dessert. She asked if I would like anything and the safest option on the menu was the cheese board so I asked for this without the crackers only to have the reply that the other aisle hadn't finished and would have to wait to see if anyone else wanted them , was there not something else I would like. My initial thought was, there's plenty but I can't have it. In all honesty, it was maybe a mistake on my understanding as I thought I would have been brought a GF dessert automatically but was asked what I would like from the menu. I wasn't overly impressed with the pursers reply and had a little cream puff (huff) to myself for a couple of minutes .

The rest of the flight was un-eventful and to boot, despite our late departure from GLA, we had some favourable tail winds and even with holding in air, we still managed to arrive at our B gate early.

Transfer security was a breeze and made my way to A gates. Quick DF shop and headed to A Lounge. Kept a close eye on the Flight Display monitors and as time got nearer for boarding I decided to take a walk along the corridor. Despite all of the flights either side of ours displaying gates open, boarding, final call, gate closed, ours remained blank but being the person I am decided to go and check. Just as I was nearing the gate I heard final call being announced so glad I moved my butt when I did. I overheard another pax behind me who was sat in the same lounge say that there was nothing on the information board for our flight.

On the DXB-PEK flight, the seat was comfy, the service was as requested (no food until breakfast) which came promptly and still the best GF bread in the air that I have tasted (if it is GF, I still have my suspicions ).

Was sat in 23K as previously advised and I did notice the silver flower holder above 23G. Not the best feature

I have also found, and this is personal taste, that the ICE doesn't tend to float my boat. Yeah I found one or two movies to watch (one of which I had watched 4 weeks previously) but I think they could be doing better with their lifestyle and box set selections but as said, that's personal preference and choice and not everybody can be accomodated.

As a relative newbie to EK, my first four flights I had nothing to complain about and although not complaining about these flights (GLA one in particular), my own observations are that any consistant service standards seem to be slipping in line with one or two (well one in particular) other airlines I am more familiar with compared with the hype and high expectations one would have listening and reading about EK . Think someone needs to get the polishing brush out as some of the service is starting to get a little tarnished .

Sorry for the rambling.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Flew GLA-DXB on 30 Nov and DXB-PEK on 1 Dec with a transit time of 3 hours.
Thank you for your interesting report. If you allow me some remarks :

> If the A/C was holding 5min beside runway, it has nothing to do with the cabin not being ready. Cabin crew must adapt to ATC, not the other way round.

> Usually, SPML is served before everybody else, on a tray with a special grey sticker. Your experience is totally abnormal. Some pax choose SPML for personal reasons, but some do for health reasons, and eating the wrong meal may lead to health issues (therefore possible diversion).

> ICE : I agree that the selection can be limited if you fly ULH a few times in the same month. But, that's why the bar is there for
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:38 pm

Thank you for your interesting report. If you allow me some remarks :

> Usually, SPML is served before everybody else, on a tray with a special grey sticker. Your experience is totally abnormal. Some pax choose SPML for personal reasons, but some do for health reasons, and eating the wrong meal may lead to health issues (therefore possible diversion).
Actually some airlines and crews server SPML with everyone else's depending on the circumstance (if there are just 1 or 2 SPMLs for instance, they just keep the tray on top of the cart so they see it when they get to the seat). I used to always order SPML and sometimes they'd serve first, sometimes with everyone else.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Actually some airlines and crews server SPML with everyone else's depending on the circumstance (if there are just 1 or 2 SPMLs for instance, they just keep the tray on top of the cart so they see it when they get to the seat). I used to always order SPML and sometimes they'd serve first, sometimes with everyone else.
There is no cart in business class.

Originally Posted by Saltire74
... My thought were 'I'm in business here, surely my whole meal won't come on one tray '...
Nevertheless, you are not wrong : SPML usually come first, but it is not a golden rule, as any EK procedure concerning inflight service.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:22 am

Had amazing service Dxb cpt return in f the last 2 weeks. Definitely better than the Manchester flights! ^
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
Had amazing service Dxb cpt return in f the last 2 weeks. Definitely better than the Manchester flights! ^
That's good as you've had some fairly ordinary trips recently IIRC.

I heard from Emirates last week welcoming me to 'non-stop priority treatment' now I have swapped my Plat card for Gold. Following my disappointing experience and response from EK last month I have gone and booked our next flights with QR and then Swiss. Both were better options than EK in terms of price and schedule (in J). It feels irrationally liberating not to be concerned with achieving or maintaining status (or maybe it is rational) and as I don't fly enough I will not be achieving much status with any carrier if I carry on spreading my business around.

I'm not sure I had realised how much my purchasing had been subtly influenced by airline status, and for a long time I had also had the relatively cheap premium class fares charged by EK to justify my travel patterns. The cost benefit seems to have gone for now but I'm quite looking forward to getting to experience some new (to me) airlines.

Who knows - I may be back and the big test will be when we sort out our annual trip to Aus/NZ at the pointy end of the plane!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.