Wiki Posts
Search

I'm impressed and happy with EK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Ok, thanks for coming back.

I can see that you feel you were messed about. BUT, as you yourself say, there was never any guarantee that your upgrade bid would be successful - only a "strong chance". I know nothing of Garuda's small print re their own bid system, but I would imagine that, in line with various other carriers, they do reserve the right, even after inviting bids, to subsequently reject all bids regardless of the sums involved.

Given the additional info you have now provided, I'm inclined to give Garuda the benefit of the doubt on this, and in fairness I think many of us could be forgiven (based on some of your reported travel experiences and er ....mishaps ....) for thinking that you do have more than your fair share of airline-related woes.
I'm not sure i agree with this. It seems that a lot of people bid 1million and the airline got greedy. To me this seems like agreeing with someone to sell your car for a price, shakes hands on the deal only for someone else to bid higher a few days later. Technically the seller is entitled to gazump the original buyer but ethically its not the right thing to do....JMHO.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I'm struggling with your analogy simply because you seem to be making two specific assumptions which - as far as I can tell - are not borne out by what actually took place.

There was never any ''agreement" to sell, and there was no shaking of hands "on the deal"

Bids were invited. My understanding is that Garuda were reserving the right to decline any or all bids (irrespective of price) received, if they chose to do so ; and that this would have been stated in the T&C's, so that anyone deciding to bid would be aware that there is no guarantee of their bid succeeding.

I would be happy to hear from anyone who may have solid experience with Garuda if I have misunderstood the system. I have used the KLM bid system myself which I suspect is similar, and which did work well for me ; but equally, had I 'lost out', then I would have accepted the outcome on the basis of their stated terms, rather than worrying about ethics.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Garuda-Indonesia is a joke! I'm not really sure how Garuda-Indonesia is rated with 5* rating in SkyTrax while Emirates is rated as 4* Airline
I flew Garuda last year (or maybe the year before, can't remember) in Economy, and I thought they were better than Emirates - more space for a start, it was a 777 but with a 3,3,3 configuration, decent food, happy, helpful and attentive cabin crew. Okay the entertainment system wasn't as good as Emirates, but it was adequate.

I remember seeing a SkyTrax golden plaque displayed in the aircraft, and thought at the time, yes I can see why they were awarded it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:06 am

Garuda I think also got the award for being surprisingly good - because their baseline for improvement was so low. After all this was an airline that between 2007-2009 was banned from flying into the EU for safety violations

Now though, it's a completely different airline - I hear only good things (apart from a sometime chaotic ground pax experience, but, well, Asia...!)

If anyone is in Europe and wants to see the product for themselves, they operate a strange little continuation flight AMS-LGW, on a 3 class 777-300ER. But that is OT, even for the EK forum haha!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:44 am

Sorry ....as you say, this really is OT ....but just a quick question on that AMS-LGW you mention operated by Garuda ....you mean they actually have local traffic rights for that sector ...??

(ps the Garuda stand at last year's big WTM industry bash in London gave every sign that they are serious players nowadays...)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: Emirates Gold
I'm struggling with your analogy simply because you seem to be making two specific assumptions which - as far as I can tell - are not borne out by what actually took place.

There was never any ''agreement" to sell, and there was no shaking of hands "on the deal"

Bids were invited. My understanding is that Garuda were reserving the right to decline any or all bids (irrespective of price) received, if they chose to do so ; and that this would have been stated in the T&C's, so that anyone deciding to bid would be aware that there is no guarantee of their bid succeeding.

I would be happy to hear from anyone who may have solid experience with Garuda if I have misunderstood the system. I have used the KLM bid system myself which I suspect is similar, and which did work well for me ; but equally, had I 'lost out', then I would have accepted the outcome on the basis of their stated terms, rather than worrying about ethics.
You're right, I am making an assumption based on what the OP said (unless I have misunderstood) the bidding process was between 600k to 1m. Whilst there is no contract in place, I would of thought it safe to assume a bid of 1m would of got the seat. If afterward the airline changed the parameters to 2m, then whilst they are in their right to do so its still a bit naughty. I suppose they could argue the supply and demand card.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:11 am

Sorry ....as you say, this really is OT ....but just a quick question on that AMS-LGW you mention operated by Garuda ....you mean they actually have local traffic rights for that sector ...??

(ps the Garuda stand at last year's big WTM industry bash in London gave every sign that they are serious players nowadays...)
Yes, it's CGK-AMS-LGW and there are full transport rights AMS-LGW v.v. at relatively convenient timings - prices very competitive with U2 in Y and of course if you want to be in their F product for 45 minutes you can!

I think it's 250 GBP or so in J in the full ULH product. Very good value considering EU J products.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by YohYohY
I flew Garuda last year (or maybe the year before, can't remember) in Economy, and I thought they were better than Emirates - more space for a start, it was a 777 but with a 3,3,3 configuration, decent food, happy, helpful and attentive cabin crew. Okay the entertainment system wasn't as good as Emirates, but it was adequate.

I remember seeing a SkyTrax golden plaque displayed in the aircraft, and thought at the time, yes I can see why they were awarded it.
Having flown both airlines on short-haul flights (1.5 hours flights) Emirates meal portion turned out to be much better than Garuda's meal portion. I was not given sweets neither salads onboard Garuda but with Emirates my meal portion always included the main course, salads/fruits, cake/sweets, and a chocolate piece. In terms of IFE, I guess I don't really have to argue on that since the results are clearly obvious. In terms of seats, they are both equally comfortable. I fail to see how Garuda's seats are better than Emirates. It is all subjective to each individual I assume.

Originally Posted by chelseastu
The bidding process was between 600k to 1m. Whilst there is no contract in place, I would of thought it safe to assume a bid of 1m would of got the seat.
My thoughts exactly. I even told my cousins that there is a strong chance to fly business since 1m is too cheap, only to be screwed over by such an unpleasant bidding system.

Originally Posted by chelseastu
If afterward the airline changed the parameters to 2m, then whilst they are in their right to do so its still a bit naughty. I suppose they could argue the supply and demand card.
I was not even informed via e-mail that the bidding amount has increased to 2m. If the airline wanted to increase the bid, then couldn’t they at least have the courtesy of notifying their passengers in advance? Why do I have to contact the airline to find out the bad news? Why couldn't they keep their bidding amount open rather than restricting it to 1m only? This action alone made me question the airline being rated as a 5* airline

I like the Emirates system. You either take the upgrade offer or you don’t, but you can’t bid to upgrade to business class. This system prevents airlines from being “greedy and naughty” and prevents passengers like me from being screwed over…..
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
You are hardly being "Screwed" over.

You are given an offer - it was not accepted. You have the choice to pay for J....

Also airlines are unable to operationally notify people of flight changes sometimes let alone that your cheap offer will not be accepted!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:16 am

I think it's less the non-guaranteed element of the bid process that is the problem, it's the fact they limited maximum bids to 1 million, and then after the window closed, made the price 2 million on application. It just looks like they were wasting everyone's time with the bidding process - if the maximum bid allowed was deemed too low, why bother with it in the first place? It's not as if they had any last minute full price buyers as they were still offering it after the fact at the higher price.

Within their rules of course, but I agree it would leave a bad taste in the mouth - if they wanted 2 million, surely that could have been within the acceptable bid limits?

If it was an entirely good faith offer, I think having no maximum limit to the bids that could be submitted would be better - and of course still gives them maximum deniability if they feel the bids are too low.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:25 am

Well there's been something of a hiatus for a few months or so, when there seemed to be a drop-off in the once-familiar threads (here on the EK sub-forum at least ...) of let me tell you how badly I've just been treated by XX airline, who are so much worse than YY airline who are now my favourite ....until such time as they annoy so much that I will have to move to ZZ airline .....who will be marvellous ...er ...until such time as ..........

Anyone getting a sense of déjà vu .....??!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/06...-to-amsterdam/
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: Skywards
The LGW-AMS fare is around 100$ return with taxes in September (Y of course)
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by kuroko
The LGW-AMS fare is around 100$ return with taxes in September (Y of course)
good for catching those ex AMS flights.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
aahhh ... welcome greetings .... [sight]
We complain about the industrial side (particularly when the purser comes with the long computer listing in hands ...), but on the other hand, we also complain when they skip it ...

As for the so-called "VIP treatment", there is no more such thing, except for iO.
It's just like American Express : once, Gold was turning heads, then came Platinum which was the top of the top, then came Centurion. Each time, existing service is devaluated unnoticed ...

(Don't be mistaken : it's just an unfair comment from a bored but very satisfied customer)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.