Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

inventory control changes on F wines?

inventory control changes on F wines?

Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Oh, sure Thread of the Month, no doubt.

(in fact, I'm thinking it should make the short list for Thread of the Year)

And remember that we all are - as the OP charmingly informed us - "sad individuals"
We do all post on a frequent flyer forum...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
True enough !

How many posts before I'm rewarded with a free bottle of wine ....?

Let me tell you about my favourite Chateau ........
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by rumbataz
Thanks for that link. It has made the drinking of a cup of tea such a laughter-filled experience for me this evening!
Just don't ask me for compensation if most of the tea exited through your nostrills

(And before you ask, no, compensation will not be paid in the form of F wines!)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I think this thread has run its course, the bottle is empty and needs to be recycled.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Amen.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Beecharmer
VERY tenuous link to the OP - http://www.food24.com/Drinks/Wine/Re...overs-20150714

Of note is the idea for decanting wine in F; fantastic, but presumably would occur at the start of a flight to allow the wine to breathe and a lot of wastage on wines that otherwise wouldn't be requested? As a flyer, though, I'd be very pleased if they did this. Do any other airlines?
From the linked article... this appears inaccurate:

4. Quality control
There’s no point serving the best wines unless you ensure that they are served in perfect condition. Any open bottles at the end of a flight are thrown away (pouring 40 year old Sandemans port down the drain!) because there are too many variables involved in keeping them in good condition before the next flight.
Wines are thrown away because of customs requirements. Not because an airline wants to ensure quality control.

All airlines, not just Emirates, have procedures in place for when wines must be thrown out, and when they can be kept and reused for an onward/return flight.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Back 10-15 years ago it was very common for FA's to give unopened bottles of wines to Golds, special occasions, etc. but corporate frowns on this now so why should a FA who does not know you jeapordize getting even a small reprimand for someone they don't know. I have not been offered a bottle of wine in years (and im an IO) but I got a nice surprise a few weeks ago. The bottle of Paradis on the F bar was unopened (still had plastic wrap). I was discussing the fact it was a shame it was going away soon & he asked if I wanted a glass. I told him no reason to open the bottle, I would drink the other Henessy from the F galley. On my way out the door he handed me the bottle of Paradis with just a wink. That was a very rare experience, even in F with status like mine.
This post, as well as another here, as well as my personal experiences completely proves the repeated comments that it is an offense that could lead to termination to be completely false. To those who have suggested that notion, without knowing the answer, you have added nothing to this thread but blatent misinformation.

Regarding the continued obnoxious personal attacks that in no way attempt to answer the question, this website reminds me of Redditt, where anonymity allows trolls devoid of class or human behavioral ethics to post with impunity. Its truly sad that so many people here have nothing better to do in their lives than to spend their time in such a manner.

As I will no longer expect anyone on this thread to have the maturity it takes to answer a question without resorting to horribly negative insults, attacks and insinuations, I will simply end my participation in this thread the way I started it. By saying that although I expect no free favors ever, since in my personal experience it has never been uncommon for a pursor to gift a bottle of wine, and was told the opposite story by those recent pursors which clearly meant they were lying, I wondered if Emirates had made recent inventory control changes the pursers did not want to discuss. Truly amazing how that simple question turned into four pages of childish foolishness.

Were there to be anyone who did want to know, I am also now able to answer my own question. When I discussed this issue with the purser during my flight back from DXB-JFK, he assured me they have not made any such change and thought it strange the other pursers made those decisions. As we were getting ready to land he handed me another cloth Emirates bag and said he hoped to welcome me back soon. Inside was a bottle of Dom, which I did not ask for either directly or indirectly.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

What's that smell Rodders?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:54 am

Its not the question you asked that is the problem, OP, it is your behaviour afterwards where you asked them to open all the bottles to taste so they would throw them away.

A little childish is probably the best description for your behaviour and for an adult who pays their way in F this really shouldn't be the best description attached to you.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by lenyoga
This post, as well as another here, as well as my personal experiences completely proves the repeated comments that it is an offense that could lead to termination to be completely false. To those who have suggested that notion, without knowing the answer, you have added nothing to this thread but blatent misinformation.

Regarding the continued obnoxious personal attacks that in no way attempt to answer the question, this website reminds me of Redditt, where anonymity allows trolls devoid of class or human behavioral ethics to post with impunity. Its truly sad that so many people here have nothing better to do in their lives than to spend their time in such a manner.

As I will no longer expect anyone on this thread to have the maturity it takes to answer a question without resorting to horribly negative insults, attacks and insinuations, I will simply end my participation in this thread the way I started it. By saying that although I expect no free favors ever, since in my personal experience it has never been uncommon for a pursor to gift a bottle of wine, and was told the opposite story by those recent pursors which clearly meant they were lying, I wondered if Emirates had made recent inventory control changes the pursers did not want to discuss. Truly amazing how that simple question turned into four pages of childish foolishness.

Were there to be anyone who did want to know, I am also now able to answer my own question. When I discussed this issue with the purser during my flight back from DXB-JFK, he assured me they have not made any such change and thought it strange the other pursers made those decisions. As we were getting ready to land he handed me another cloth Emirates bag and said he hoped to welcome me back soon. Inside was a bottle of Dom, which I did not ask for either directly or indirectly.
This thread really is reminiscent of that other infamous thread on this forum and the SPG thread, complete with the OP coming back with both barrels! Wonder if we'll go to 100 pages...

To dispense with the oblique references to my comments about firing - it is categorically, 100% true, that crew giving items on board the aircraft to people to take away, without good reason, could, in your exact words, "lead to termination".

I feel absolutely sure that I know a lot more front-line EK staff, of all levels, than you, all of whom have confirmed to me the same thing. Whether you believe me, is of course, a different matter, but I will simply say I have absolutely no motivation to misinform or lie about something so trivial (to me).

Whether a purser can get away with giving away bottles (i.e. having an adequate explanation come audit time or whether he/she is reported by another member of staff) is a completely different matter.

As others have said, sometimes it happens by way of service recovery, or the passenger is extremely valued. Giving a bottle of Hennessy Paradis to an iO member is clearly different to any old standard F revenue passenger. It is clear you feel there is a hierarchy of passengers, given your statement "Important to note that these flights, as with all my EK fligths are full paid F flights, no upgrades or rewards." - unfortunately for you, it seems that you are not quite far enough up the hierarchy of EK customers to warrant wines to take away as a matter of course.

An iO member spends literally millions of dollars with EK - by EKs own service standards, they bend over backwards for iOs. I understand if you weren't aware that chinatraderjmr is an iO with EK, but the simple point is this - it is a request that is completely up to the discretion of the Purser, who needs a very good reason to do it. Just because "these flights, as with all my EK fligths are full paid F flights, no upgrades or rewards", is not a sufficiently good reason to do so.

Why do you think that pursers that have given you bottles of wine to take away have done so in a discreet manner, instead of every passenger being given a bottle of a wine (or something) as an F travel gift?

As to:
By saying that although I expect no free favors ever, since in my personal experience it has never been uncommon for a pursor to gift a bottle of wine, and was told the opposite story by those recent pursors which clearly meant they were lying, I wondered if Emirates had made recent inventory control changes the pursers did not want to discuss.
I find it difficult to see how you could make a case that those pursers were lying. Perhaps they were not giving you the real reason they did not wish to give you a bottle (they simply decided not to), but they indicated this by deflection, not by lying. This is a critical skill in the hospitality industry and happens on an hourly basis all over the world.

You yourself said in post 1:

(first saying if it wasn't into DXB they would, second saying if it had been into DXB they would have)
Neither of those pursers gave you a factual statement about policy. They are indicating the personal choice they would have made, if not for the sector you were travelling on. It would only be a lie if they could be proved to not give you the wine had the sectors been in the opposite direction, for each individual purser, as we have covered the point that gifting bottles of wine is entirely discretionary and needs a very, very good reason to do so.

In your defensiveness I think you have conflated your subconscious belief of entitlement to wine because of "your personal experience that it has never been uncommon for a pursor [sic] to gift a bottle of wine" with actual EK policy - hence your question on this forum about whether EK has changed their incorrectly presupposed-by-you previous policy of free wine on demand to take home.

That was never the case, and this has been explained to you here.

The tangent about your wine-tasting escapade is of course a nice diversion. In the relatively free confines of Flyertalk - a discussion and comment board - you run the risk of anything you post being commented on, or being highlighted for being risible. The beauty of online forums such as these is that it gives you lots of perspectives you might not have considered when posting your story or comments - it is up to the reader how he/she wishes to process those new perspectives. It goes with the territory I'm afraid.

If you want a crowd of yes-men giving you moral support and encouragement for all of your actions, I think you would be better off ensconced in the F cabin of your preferred airline where the echo chamber is happy to bolster your perceptions of the world and all of its petty injustices

Last edited by eternaltransit; Jul 31, 2015 at 5:01 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by lenyoga
... and was told the opposite story by those recent pursors which clearly meant they were lying, I wondered if Emirates had made recent inventory control changes the pursers did not want to discuss. Truly amazing how that simple question turned into four pages of childish foolishness.

I think it has been pointed out a couple of times, the pursers weren't necessarily 'lying to you', they were simply telling you 'no' in a way that was polite and that they thought was unlikely to offend you.

Once you discussed this issue with the latest purser, they then had a reason to mark 'service recovery' by the bottle of champagne they gave you on leaving the aircraft. They probably sensed you weren't too happy.

Service recovery is a legitimate reason for being given a bottle of wine. Handing them to all passengers who ask is probably not. Otherwise, pretty soon, 14/14 passengers on future flights will all be asking for a bottle of wine to take home.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:06 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by m3red
I think this thread has run its course, the bottle is empty and needs to be recycled.
Its time to end the show........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.