Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

inventory control changes on F wines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

inventory control changes on F wines?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Back 10-15 years ago it was very common for FA's to give unopened bottles of wines to Golds, special occasions, etc. but corporate frowns on this now so why should a FA who does not know you jeapordize getting even a small reprimand for someone they don't know. I have not been offered a bottle of wine in years (and im an IO) but I got a nice surprise a few weeks ago. The bottle of Paradis on the F bar was unopened (still had plastic wrap). I was discussing the fact it was a shame it was going away soon & he asked if I wanted a glass. I told him no reason to open the bottle, I would drink the other Henessy from the F galley. On my way out the door he handed me the bottle of Paradis with just a wink. That was a very rare experience, even in F with status like mine.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
What a ridiculous post.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Back 10-15 years ago it was very common for FA's to give unopened bottles of wines to Golds, special occasions, etc. but corporate frowns on this now so why should a FA who does not know you jeapordize getting even a small reprimand for someone they don't know. I have not been offered a bottle of wine in years (and im an IO) but I got a nice surprise a few weeks ago. The bottle of Paradis on the F bar was unopened (still had plastic wrap). I was discussing the fact it was a shame it was going away soon & he asked if I wanted a glass. I told him no reason to open the bottle, I would drink the other Henessy from the F galley. On my way out the door he handed me the bottle of Paradis with just a wink. That was a very rare experience, even in F with status like mine.
Good job it's not being scrapped anymore then!

^
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:35 pm

It's this kind of DYKWIA behaviour that drains the motivation of the crew to provide a 'surprising treat' and means they're more likely to just go through the motions to avoid being put in that position where a passenger is asking them to do something which may jeopardise their job.

Just curious whether the OP was in transit to BKK or ending the journey in DXB because the bottle would have been confiscated during the transit security check for exceeding the LAG regulations.

Also, for most non-ULR routes EK will return load all wines in first class for the outbound and return sector, along with dates and other non perishable service items. Any 'giveaways' on an outbound flight only limits the stock for the return.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I imagine any crew member giving a bottle of wine to a passenger in a Duty Free bag is breaking the rules and possibly even worse. They're effectively stealing goods from Emirates for you.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
A few years ago, I got a bottle of wine from the FA flying into DXB (can't remember from where) - the bottle was taken away from me by airport security in DXB (I was passing thru on my way back to india)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by lenyoga
If you have nothing better to do, please feel free to continue to ignorantly attack me.
I don't see much ignorance about the responses you've had.

As pointed out above, you were given an answer and the discussion developed - it's how forums work. If you're unhappy about the way it developed then debate your points or throw your toys out of the pram - up to you.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:11 am

The only other time I can recall recently where I've been left quite so stunned by a thread is this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-anything.html

I don't know which one is worse, but I've got to ask - where do these people come from??
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
stargold : would never had spotted the Sheraton thread if you hadn't linked it, so thanks for that. What a hugely entertaining read it is, perhaps the best I've seen on FT - although a couple of aceboy's come mighty close
My personal favourites within the thread were the superb 'Let it Go' song parody (credit mikeef) and post #110 (credit airsupply).

Despite the obvious difference in subject matter between this Wot ... no free wine ?!! saga and the Sheraton thread, there is of course a fundamental similarity too : ie, the way in which the OP conveniently makes the case AGAINST himself, leaving others to merely confirm the obvious.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Spare all the "you are an a**hole for doing that" comments please.
Why?

Originally Posted by extramileage
Do they really need to provide a reason for not giving you a free bottle of (expensive) wine to take home?
Exactly. You knew exactly what was going on. Why would you even ask them to do something which could result in discipline for them?

There are rare times when a wine from a chateaux that i am particularly fond of, as was the case in this post, are on the menu.
So on what basis does that entitle you to a free bottle?

To all the sad individuals who chose to attack, despite my request that you do not, ....
"I made a selfish request and am upset that the Purser tried to be diplomatic ("I'm sorry, sir, I would have, but....") instead of just telling me the truth ("Why on earth would you expect that we might even consider giving away a bottle of wine for you to take home? Just because you like it? Sheesh!!").

If you have nothing better to do, please feel free to continue to ignorantly attack me.
I actually have lots better to do; but this is much more fun. And what makes you think that the negative comments are ignorant? Does no one ever disagree with you in your life outside of FT?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:17 am

VERY tenuous link to the OP - http://www.food24.com/Drinks/Wine/Re...overs-20150714

Of note is the idea for decanting wine in F; fantastic, but presumably would occur at the start of a flight to allow the wine to breathe and a lot of wastage on wines that otherwise wouldn't be requested? As a flyer, though, I'd be very pleased if they did this. Do any other airlines?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by stargold
The only other time I can recall recently where I've been left quite so stunned by a thread is this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-anything.html

I don't know which one is worse, but I've got to ask - where do these people come from??
Thanks for that link. It has made the drinking of a cup of tea such a laughter-filled experience for me this evening!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by Beecharmer
VERY tenuous link to the OP - http://www.food24.com/Drinks/Wine/Re...overs-20150714

Of note is the idea for decanting wine in F; fantastic, but presumably would occur at the start of a flight to allow the wine to breathe and a lot of wastage on wines that otherwise wouldn't be requested? As a flyer, though, I'd be very pleased if they did this. Do any other airlines?
I did discuss this with a purser once on a CHC-SYD flight when they had Penfolds Grange in F. He felt it might be possible on the A380 with more space available. He felt it might be another USP for EK and was going to suggest it.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:39 am

Thread of the month (in better or worse )

Seriously, OP, you apparently got REALLY lucky in the past when the crew gave you a wine to take out. Did you REALLY think of this being the norm? As others said, this can get the crew into trouble, usually the only time I've been offered anything to take out (minus the snack basket items ) it's been on "special" occasions (either some trouble inflight, or on my birthday, or something equally special..)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Thread of the month (in better or worse )

.................................................. ................

Oh, sure Thread of the Month, no doubt.

(in fact, I'm thinking it should make the short list for Thread of the Year)

And remember that we all are - as the OP charmingly informed us - "sad individuals"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.