Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flying on a birthday

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I think thats a space available policy on CX - I've heard that a lot.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by m3red
I think thats a space available policy on CX - I've heard that a lot.
Funny enough, it has never happened to Chinese colleagues. Probably because a lot of them don't celebrate their "passport" DOB
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by guidospizza
Several friends and colleagues have been upgraded on CX flying on their birthdays.
Only if you're an elite member of the Marco Polo Club. You won't get op up'd even if you're an Emerald member of another Oneworld FF programme.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Interesting clarification there Guy Betsy.

Must say I did find the idea of Op-ups being provided routinely, as it were, just because it happens to be your birthday, a little dubious......
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:28 pm
Suspended

As a SQ TPPS you are guaranteed an upgrade to F on birthdays (and a day either side). Not a published benefit.... Happened to me twice (plus nice card from the crew and the station staff at checkin).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:10 pm

I'm assuming that you're one of a fairly limited number - how many TPPS would you say there are .....?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by subject2load
I'm assuming that you're one of a fairly limited number - how many TPPS would you say there are .....?
I couldn't say ....the barrier to entry is reasonably high, so it won't be a huge group. You need to achieve PPS, then accrue S$250,000 of spend over five consecutive years. To renew, you simply spend S$25,000 per year. Only J or F travel counts. You can also accrue "reserve value" for spend beyond the 25k. I'm in my fourteenth consecutive year as TPPS and have about 6 years of reserve value. My anniversary is in July, and I usually spend the 25k by October.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Only if you're an elite member of the Marco Polo Club. You won't get op up'd even if you're an Emerald member of another Oneworld FF programme.
Interesting clarification, thanks.

Either way, booking my next EK flight on my birthday (rather than a day later, which would be a bit more convenient) clearly won't make a difference. Good to know.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:12 am

My birthday tomorrow, flying on Friday fingers crossed for some extra special treatment ^^^
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:29 pm

Now come on m3red ...... pull yourself together .......you're not six any more.

(are you .......?? )
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
Now come on m3red ...... pull yourself together .......you're not six any more.

(are you .......?? )
35 so nearly 6 times the age you assume I am and twice the age my wife thinks I am.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:18 pm

Ok ....I'll get the candles for your Emirates birthday cake .....
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:37 am

Just to add my experience, I once took EK435 departing 2200 BNE-DXB taking off the evening before my birthday.

A few hours into the flight my birthday arrived and my travelling party celebrated with a toast. Cabin crew noticed and came and took a Polaroid photo which they put in a paper frame with the flight details written on. A nice little souvenir.

A further half hour or so into the flight, the IFE told us it wasn't my birthday any more - it was 2345 the evening before. We waited for midnight to come again and went through the same process. The crew seemed to like it.

I was hoping we could do the same all the way to DXB but unfortunately it didn't happen again. After a brief layover we continued on the BHX. I was given a small cake on the DXB-BHX flight.

In total my birthday lasted 33 hours with a brief spell in the middle where it wasn't my birthday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.