Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

What's Emirates' policy with broken ICE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Club

I have recommended a friend of mine to fly with Emirates. Somehow during his flight, the ICE failed to work and FA did not help fix the problem. I did encounter the same situation before with Cathay Pacific, and the ISM really tried hard to make sure my TV was working. Now my question is how Emirates deals with those issues since it's a big sale point for their ICE system (as long as it works)? Will they offer upgrade or voucher as compensation?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by mitchchenster
I have recommended a friend of mine to fly with Emirates. Somehow during his flight, the ICE failed to work and FA did not help fix the problem. I did encounter the same situation before with Cathay Pacific, and the ISM really tried hard to make sure my TV was working. Now my question is how Emirates deals with those issues since it's a big sale point for their ICE system (as long as it works)? Will they offer upgrade or voucher as compensation?
Neither - if you write in you may get some miles thrown your way. The FAs do not fix the problem at the seat, they would go (or call someone) to the cabin control panel and reset the system remotely. If that didn't happen or didn't work, I would mention this in your email to EK customer service.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by mitchchenster
Sometimes technology fails us. In a flight with as much as 400 seats odds are one or two dont work. I'd have asked them to check and if that failed, to change my seat. Upgrade would be much a voucher maybe if neither of the 2 above was possible. If I remember correctly, on QR when my husbands IFE was not working they gave him an ipad like ife.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: Skywards
There is no policy for that. Your friend should write a complaint. Will get some miles (depends on his status, route and class of travel how much he/she wil get) as a compensation.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
There will certainly be no upgrade offer, so don't harbour hopes on that !

As kuroko and eternaltransit have mentioned, you will quite likely be offered some goodwill Skywards miles by way of compensation.

I think if you start from the premise that a flight ticket guarantees little more than a seat in the booked class (hopefully !) and transportation from point A to point B, then anything offered by way of compensation for a lack of on-board facilities is discretionary. Not saying that is right .... just the way things are .....
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I got 10k in biz when my ice was playing up
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
I got 10k in biz when my ice was playing up
10K seems to be their standard compensation on shorter flights in J (~ 2-3 hours). On ULH flights, they offer more but ymmv.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada
10K seems to be their standard compensation on shorter flights in J (~ 2-3 hours). On ULH flights, they offer more but ymmv.
Its a shame they dont compensate as well as the likes of SQ.
Have heard they hand out $150SGD airport vouchers for short flights with inoperative AVOD.
Mind you to some the 10,000 miles may be worth more
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Neither - if you write in you may get some miles thrown your way. The FAs do not fix the problem at the seat, they would go (or call someone) to the cabin control panel and reset the system remotely. If that didn't happen or didn't work, I would mention this in your email to EK customer service.
On The newer ULH 380's the ICE system can be reset 2 ways. They can now reset it directly from the seat (it's inside the closet). If that does not work then the standard reboot from the control panel would be the next step. (No excuse for crew to not at least TRY) to reset it
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
It was Dxb man ages ago
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:02 am

I got around the same amount of miles, last year when my IFE went haywire on a 3 hour flight to ISB. I wrote to them because on that same trip, on the flight to DXB, my IFE kept switching off.
However, the FA was nice enough to move me from 11F to 11K because 11J/K were both empty.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
On The newer ULH 380's the ICE system can be reset 2 ways. They can now reset it directly from the seat (it's inside the closet). If that does not work then the standard reboot from the control panel would be the next step. (No excuse for crew to not at least TRY) to reset it
Only 14 out of 489 seats have a closet though

But yes, there is also the at the seat control box that sometimes works, but you'll only see someone going to that trouble on the upper deck, I think...!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Only 14 out of 489 seats have a closet though

But yes, there is also the at the seat control box that sometimes works, but you'll only see someone going to that trouble on the upper deck, I think...!
I've been put in my place
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: EK, QF, VA
Had a bad experience with failed ICE about 5 years ago on a 77W. It didn't work for me or the guy in the seat next to me, and both J and F were full so moving seats wasn't an option. FA was very helpful and offered to submit a 10K miles compensation request directly to HO for us.

Weeks go by and I hear nothing from EK HO, so send an email to Dubai. Got a very terse reply offering only 3K miles. Went back and forth with me explaining that FA had offered 10K, and Dubai replying "too bad, you're only getting 3K", and refusing to budge. Left a very nasty taste in the mouth, even though it was only a 7K difference.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by evilbrian
Had a bad experience with failed ICE about 5 years ago on a 77W. It didn't work for me or the guy in the seat next to me, and both J and F were full so moving seats wasn't an option. FA was very helpful and offered to submit a 10K miles compensation request directly to HO for us.

Weeks go by and I hear nothing from EK HO, so send an email to Dubai. Got a very terse reply offering only 3K miles. Went back and forth with me explaining that FA had offered 10K, and Dubai replying "too bad, you're only getting 3K", and refusing to budge. Left a very nasty taste in the mouth, even though it was only a 7K difference.
That was very rude. Their FAs are so polite and well mannered you'd think they'd pick their CSAs from the same pool. Also, what is it with putting you on hold without muting their mics? I'd hate having to call any airline Customer Service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.