Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Is Emirates truly gay friendly to passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

A basic, but obvious question:

Is emirates gay friendly? Maybe I should ask more widely, do they as a crew and an airline in general treat everyone as equals, regardless of sexual orientation, race, religion etc etc? I assume so, but I'd like to check.

I've travelled to DXB many times so I'm not asking about the place, just about the airline's attitudes/service.

Thank you.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
No issues on my 100+ flights with them. Some FAs were extra friendly.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: SkyWards Ex Silver & BA
Why would they know?

You do not have to tell them you are gay, and as long as you do not do anything that offends any other passengers what's the issue?
Old May 20, 2015, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
A basic, but obvious question:

Is emirates gay friendly? Maybe I should ask more widely, do they as a crew and an airline in general treat everyone as equals, regardless of sexual orientation, race, religion etc etc? I assume so, but I'd like to check.

I've travelled to DXB many times so I'm not asking about the place, just about the airline's attitudes/service.

Thank you.
I suspect it's not much different than US airlines in how it deals with diverse passengers.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I suspect it's not much different than US airlines in how it deals with diverse passengers.
Ah, except of course, in case of Flying While Arab!
Old May 20, 2015, 5:50 pm

You won't find any negative discrimination due to sexual orientation/race etc. - obviously in a staff of 20k you might find the odd unpleasant individual but I haven't found anyone egregiously offensive in my travels on EK. After all, EKs crew have many homosexual individuals both male and female and recruit from all over the world. As regards religion - put it this way, I hear the kosher meals on certain sectors are extremely popular (and served, apparently, in the correct manner)

I hesitate to say that EK treats everyone as equals because certain surnames and perhaps wearing certain national dress, for instance, does sometimes seem to get you more attention and better service than others But I never feel it is detrimental to the service I get, so it is no big deal - every hospitality business has its own "more equal than others" customers.

And if you are a rather boorish individual I think you will also receive the bare minimum, but that probably applies in all service industries.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by knit-in
Ah, except of course, in case of Flying While Arab!
Some GLBT persons who "look Arab" have indeed chosen to fly EK to minimize the odds of being hit by hostile prejudices when flying US carriers.

..... something about safety in numbers and getting lost in the crowd.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:02 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
How would they know anything about your sexual orientation? I can't speak from experience of course, but I would assume they don't really care. Overt PDA, regardless of pairing, should be avoided while transiting DXB. People probably won't care if you hold hands - it's common in parts of India and the Middle East for men to hold hands.

Dubai, in practice, is basically DADT with regards to LGBT, though there are regular unofficial meetups at nightclubs and such. You might see a little LGBT PDA on escalators of certain smaller malls
Old May 21, 2015, 11:11 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
On my last EK 413 flight I noticed the entire cabin had female FAs. FA walked me to 1A asked if she could get me anything and I cheekily said "I'm disappointed there are no male crew in this cabin."

A few minutes later she reappeared and introduced me to a male FA and said "He will be working the bar at the back and will be delighted to look after you."

So yes, EK is LGBQTI friendly.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I hesitate to say that EK treats everyone as equals because certain surnames and perhaps wearing certain national dress, for instance, does sometimes seem to get you more attention and better service than others But I never feel it is detrimental to the service I get, so it is no big deal - every hospitality business has its own "more equal than others" customers.

I agree with you about the service according to nationality for some Middle Eastern carriers. Possibly don't confuse that with discrimination about sexual orientation.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I agree with you about the service according to nationality for some Middle Eastern carriers. Possibly don't confuse that with discrimination about sexual orientation.
Is that company policy?

I'm just curious, because when you deal with any of the three ME3 carriers, you're dealing with staff of practically every nationality under the sun.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Is that company policy?

I'm just curious, because when you deal with any of the three ME3 carriers, you're dealing with staff of practically every nationality under the sun.
Less company policy and more a fact of expat life - one of the more striking things I find about GCC countries with high expat populations is that the obvious social hierarchy is quite racially classified, for various obvious reasons which, if we elaborate on, will get this thread moved straight into OMNI.

For the same reason, I will refrain from making further comments about morality of things and simply say that the stratification exists and bleeds into most aspects of (expat) life in the Gulf, especially in the hospitality industry.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Never seen any issue with this.

EK has plenty of straight gay bi lesbian green Orange black blue English crew.

Nothing to see here....^
Old May 22, 2015, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Less company policy and more a fact of expat life - one of the more striking things I find about GCC countries with high expat populations is that the obvious social hierarchy is quite racially classified, for various obvious reasons which, if we elaborate on, will get this thread moved straight into OMNI.

For the same reason, I will refrain from making further comments about morality of things and simply say that the stratification exists and bleeds into most aspects of (expat) life in the Gulf, especially in the hospitality industry.
Indeed. That said, when it comes to airline employees of some of those discriminated against ethnic backgrounds, let's just say that some of them are more likely to play games -- games which sort of strike back in ways that sort of level the playing field or even turn the tables. It shows up in how upgrades sometimes happen.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by m3red
Never seen any issue with this.

EK has plenty of straight gay bi lesbian green Orange black blue English crew.

Nothing to see here....^
I even saw a city fan once :

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.