Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

OK to stay overnight in DXB F lounge before morning flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Last night I booked F seats for EK 216 (LAX-DXB) and EK 141 (DXB-MAD). I'm staying in Dubai for 4 nights. The EK 141 flight departs from DXB pretty early at 7:40 AM, which means that I'd probably have to get to the airport at 6:00 or so. Instead of staying that night in a hotel and checking out early morning, can I check into the airport late night (say, 10 PM) and sleep in the F lounge overnight?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:56 pm

Yes, but I'd book a room in the airport hotel because spending more than 4 hours in the F lounge is tiring.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Yes, but I'd book a room in the airport hotel because spending more than 4 hours in the F lounge is not something I recommend.
What's wrong with long periods of time in the lounge? A couple years ago, I spent 11 hours in the Asiana F lounge at ICN. There were very few people there and it was very comfortable.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Bad idea in my view (and I'm familiar with EK's various F lounges at DXB)

216 is scheduled to land DXB at 19.35. Can't imagine why anyone would think that spending a night in an airport lounge is more appealing than a comfortable hotel room.

It's a wild guess, but just wondering if this is, by chance, an award flight .....
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

216 is scheduled to land DXB at 19.35. Can't imagine why anyone would think that spending a night in an airport lounge is more appealing than a comfortable hotel room.

It's a wild guess, but just wondering if this is, by chance, an award flight .....
I have a flight from man arriving at 12 midnight and the depart to HND at 8 am and I'm going home in between!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:47 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Can you check-in early? Yes you can, since you are going to Madrid.
There are restrictions on how early you can check bags when flying to US/Canada, however.

It's been a while since I flew F with EK but, I remember the sleeping areas in the F lounge being not so great. Certainly "possible" to sleep there and take a shower in the morninh, but not as good as an actual bed.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

It is an award flight. I am actually staying 4 nights total in Dubai before heading out to Madrid. I was just wondering if it is worth staying in a hotel that 4th night only to leave before 6.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
It is an award flight. I am actually staying 4 nights total in Dubai before heading out to Madrid. I was just wondering if it is worth staying in a hotel that 4th night only to leave before 6.
Yes get a hotel!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: General Awesome Guy
I've done multiple long layovers (including a 14hr) in the lounge. I prefer it to a hotel. Food on demand, free. Plenty of places to rest. My only reservation is the A pier F lounge showers. They have very poor ventilation, and i always walk out, sweating.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by WanderlustB
I've done multiple long layovers (including a 14hr) in the lounge. I prefer it to a hotel. Food on demand, free. Plenty of places to rest. My only reservation is the A pier F lounge showers. They have very poor ventilation, and i always walk out, sweating.
14 hours in an airport lounge is better than a hotel + proper bed ......

You're winding us up, right ?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:31 am

I think "cheaper" was the point.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:47 am

The most I've purposely done was aroung 6 to 8 hours.

Never again if I have a choice. It might seem all right when you're planning it, but in practice it's just not worth it.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:18 am

You can of course access the F lounge anytime once you have your onward boarding pass - either a paper copy or using the mobile boarding pass app.

However, I think that wasting your last evening in Dubai in an airport lounge is probably not the best use of your time, especially considering that at 0600 it will take 15-30 minutes max to get to the airport from anywhere in the emirate.

Perhaps have a blow-out last night in Dubai, catch 4-5 hours sleep, get to the airport, have breakfast there then nap on the way to Madrid might be a better option than dinner and breakfast in the lounge and sleeping in a "quiet room" - which may not all be that quiet if you aren't in Concourse A. I suppose if you are there for a while you could transfer between Concourses and back, but do be aware that midnight is peak time at DXB and so the quiet rooms might not be all that quiet...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:20 am

YMMV may vary if you believe a good bed and a shower is worth 200 dollars if you want to use the DXB airside hotel that is - "free food" included as you can pop down to the lounge at any time and have food there.

100-150 dollars if you want to traipse through immigration and have some transit time!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Clearly, when this person "stays" in a hotel they sleep under a sofa in the lobby, or standing up in a janitor's closet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.