Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Chauffeur Drive Flexibility

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:42 am
Original Poster

UK Chauffeur Drive Flexibility

I've got a flight coming up soon from LHR in First, and I understand that the maximum mileage is 70 miles from the airport.
Annoyingly I live 120 miles away, so is there any flexibility with this on a paid First ticket? I can see that the site mentions additional mileage charges, but on the dropdown menu for UK this is not specified. Am I likely to have any luck?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff
I've got a flight coming up soon from LHR in First, and I understand that the maximum mileage is 70 miles from the airport.
Annoyingly I live 120 miles away, so is there any flexibility with this on a paid First ticket? I can see that the site mentions additional mileage charges, but on the dropdown menu for UK this is not specified. Am I likely to have any luck?
No luck - You need to contact the car company, give them your address and arrange to pay the excess accordingly. It is usually to the driver on the day in cash. Check the chauffeUr drive thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...tinations.html

for further details on the company used at LHR.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Any chance you know the excess mileage rate for LHR?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:41 am

Any chance you know the excess mileage rate for LHR?
I suggest you contact Ek - I did this for my f flight to Zrh and they confirmed the excess in 24 hours. The excess was outrageous so we took the train.

Alternatively call the number in the thread and speak to them directly.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
We're about the same distance as you are from LHR to GLA and we got quoted a round trip price of £300 for the (each way) 50 miles! We opted to have someone drive us to/from Dundee and got picked up from there instead.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would it make sense to pick a hotel in London or elsewhere, take train between home and hotel, and use the chauffeur service between hotel and airport?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would it make sense to pick a hotel in London or elsewhere, take train between home and hotel, and use the chauffeur service between hotel and airport?
Why bother with the hotel?

They can presumably pick up from a train station, too!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting the train to Reading and then booking a car from there, saves going into Paddington and doing the HEX. I would just drive myself but it would ruin the fun if I can't have a drink on the way back from DXB! Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why bother with the hotel?

They can presumably pick up from a train station, too!
True, but you might enjoy the hotel night. It would avoid early morning or late night travel, depending on the scheduled departure and arrival of your flights.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: A-Club Platinum, Emirates Platinum, Aegean Gold
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting the train to Reading and then booking a car from there, saves going into Paddington and doing the HEX. I would just drive myself but it would ruin the fun if I can't have a drink on the way back from DXB! Thanks for the help.
This is what I normally do when traveling from Cardiff, beware however that there are two exits from Reading Station and when you book the car confirm twice with them that the driver will be at the right exit. I normally tell them to go to the north side, near Trooper Potts Way....still there is confusion 5 times out of 10!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by nequine
We're about the same distance as you are from LHR to GLA and we got quoted a round trip price of £300 for the (each way) 50 miles! We opted to have someone drive us to/from Dundee and got picked up from there instead.
I thought a driver said to me, for GLA anyway, there was a business class distance (70 miles) and a first class distance (120 miles?) i.e. larger allowance for 1st. Am I imagining this? We're about 80 miles by road from GLA but luckily it's spot on 70 in a direct line which is what they use.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I thought a driver said to me, for GLA anyway, there was a business class distance (70 miles) and a first class distance (120 miles?) i.e. larger allowance for 1st. Am I imagining this? We're about 80 miles by road from GLA but luckily it's spot on 70 in a direct line which is what they use.
Glasgow has different allowances as you say (150 or 70). London (both LHR and LGW) has only:

First Class and Business Class passengers: within a 70-mile radius of the airport, including all Greater London postcodes.
http://www.emirates.com/english/flyi...eur-drive.aspx
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by OzTennis
According to the EK website for GLA it is 150mile radius for F Pax and 70 mile radius for J pax. At the other UK airports is 70 mile radius for both F and J. Seems a slightly odd exception to make?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
According to the EK website for GLA it is 150mile radius for F Pax and 70 mile radius for J pax. At the other UK airports is 70 mile radius for both F and J. Seems a slightly odd exception to make?
If my memory serves me right, wasn't there an exception for chauffeur drive because of Dundee - there was some Dubai government link, or university established which had a lot of F traffic to GLA headed there, so it was an unpublished exception to the chauffeur drive limits that anyone heading there was entitled?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
If my memory serves me right, wasn't there an exception for chauffeur drive because of Dundee - there was some Dubai government link, or university established which had a lot of F traffic to GLA headed there, so it was an unpublished exception to the chauffeur drive limits that anyone heading there was entitled?
Thought it was Aberdeen but sounds about right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.