Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Upgrade Refusal by Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Paid Upgrade Refusal by Emirates

Hi All,

I'm hoping you will be able to assist me.

I am attempting to purchase upgrade using Cash not miles and Emirates is refusing because the last leg of the booking is fully booked - 3 PAX.

1. Original booking is SIN-DXB-BHX.

2. SIN-DXB plenty of seats available (08.04.15)
This is the sector I'd like to Upgrade, Emirates is refusing?

3. DXB-BHX is fully booked. (12.04.15)
  • I tried this a few months ago when I was upgrading my flights (cash upgrade) and this last leg was full then.
  • I unfortunately do not want to change the flight time as I will lose out on half a day of relaxation.

HELP?!?!?!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If there is no availability to rebook a paid ticket into the higher cabin and you are not prepared to change your times to fit in with availability , your options are limited

You could ask at the ticket desk when checking in at Singapore what price would be charged for an upgrade to DXB
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
As DN says, your options would seem to be limited.

I would no doubt find it rather frustrating too in your shoes. But, one of those occasions when maybe you just have to accept that it's their airline, and they make the rules .....
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

Yes the option to rebook is there and would mean I lose a lot of money if I were to cancel and rebook.

I am planning on asking them when I get to the airport, the agent on the phone said it would be highly unlikely that they would be able to do so!?!?!?

FRUSTRATING!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If travelling economy was not what you wanted, why did you book economy class in the 1st place rather than book in business class on either EK or another airline which had availability?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by MasterP0
Thank you for your replies.

Yes the option to rebook is there and would mean I lose a lot of money if I were to cancel and rebook.

I am planning on asking them when I get to the airport, the agent on the phone said it would be highly unlikely that they would be able to do so!?!?!?

FRUSTRATING!
Unfortunately, the EK rules and ticketing system forces both sectors of an outbound or inbound itinerary to be in the same fare class - revenue protection mostly - and any point or station trying to change that is going to have computer says no (as in fare not validated).

However, there is a small, off chance that at the airport, revenue managers have allowed a one-sector upgrade once the flight moves to airport control. This will only be available for as long as they want to offer it, at the airport, for some cash - and won't involve changing your fare class, so you won't then (sometimes) have access to things like chauffeur drive, lounge access or additional baggage, depending on the terms and conditions of the upgrade.

Even so - I have never, ever seen this offered at DXB. Only at outstations, and then, extremely rarely - as in, 1 out of 80 sectors, last year. I suspect it will not be offered ex-SIN, especially if Y is overbooked.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
I have managed to book an I fare CAI-DXB-HKG but force the CAI-DXB into full Y as I was not available. At the airport availability was still J1..IC so I was waitlisted until the flight closed, then given the last J seat. It wouldn't be very economical, but maybe the OP would be able to do something similar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.