Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS, Emirates iO (Invitation Only)
Originally Posted by MikeFly
Thanks for the replies. I have no status on EK - just lots of miles.

My colleague will have to wait for the Z gods to smile on him or not!
I could be wrong, but don't you need to be silver or higher to upgrade at the airport or onboard?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Houstonflyer2139
I could be wrong, but don't you need to be silver or higher to upgrade at the airport or onboard?
Onboard upgrades need silver or above status, but upgrades at the airport/check-in can be done by any member.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
What is the actual process for upgrading on board?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Susiew237
What is the actual process for upgrading on board?
Speak to a member of the crew - preferably the Purser or SFS at the door. The purser will come and speak to you and ask you to either wait until boarding is completed, or take you aside to a quieter place/the new seat and then bring his/her tablet. Sometimes it's processed in the old seat.

The tablet has a manifest on it with mileage costs etc. all worked out, along with your mileage balance and if you are okay to upgrade. The purser will be prompted by the tablet to check your passport and physical skywards card. Once that's done, he/she will move you on the tablet and you'll get an email confirming the upgrade. By now you should be in your new seat!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Speak to a member of the crew - preferably the Purser or SFS at the door. The purser will come and speak to you and ask you to either wait until boarding is completed, or take you aside to a quieter place/the new seat and then bring his/her tablet. Sometimes it's processed in the old seat.

The tablet has a manifest on it with mileage costs etc. all worked out, along with your mileage balance and if you are okay to upgrade. The purser will be prompted by the tablet to check your passport and physical skywards card. Once that's done, he/she will move you on the tablet and you'll get an email confirming the upgrade. By now you should be in your new seat!
Thanks for that, good to know. We will hold off on applying for an upgrade on the (unlikely) off chance of an op-up. But seeing as we are currently gold we'll have lounge access anyway, so on the plane seems like a good idea. And now I know what to do !
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:27 pm

Thanks for that, good to know. We will hold off on applying for an upgrade on the (unlikely) off chance of an op-up. But seeing as we are currently gold we'll have lounge access anyway, so on the plane seems like a good idea. And now I know what to do !
Be careful in case an op-upped platinum or two takes the last available seats in the class above you

A good time to do it is to ask at the lounge at about 1 hour to departure - by then the controllers will have a good idea of how many people he/she needs to move, if any, and then they will have already picked out some candidates. If you are already one of them, they will simply give you the complimentary upgrade then, if not, then then they can call the controller and put your request forward. Same cost as the onboard upgrade.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Have no personal experience of requesting a miles upgrade on-board, but it did occur to me that it might - possibly - be better than requesting it in the lounge.

I say 'possibly' on the basis that you could wait to see how things look from your J seat. It may be - by good fortune - that you have an empty seat next to you (a given of course with many of the A380 seats, though not necessarily on the 777) OR that you particularly like the look of your neighbour* .....And then you might want to save your miles and happily stay put in J........

*best not expand on that as I don't know anything about Susiew's 'personal circumstances' .......
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Keep checking the mobile boarding pass this helps with seeing if you've been upgraded! Usually about an hour before the flight.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:58 pm

All excellent advice above which I will heed!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by m3red
Keep checking the mobile boarding pass this helps with seeing if you've been upgraded! Usually about an hour before the flight.
Sadly a lot of my flights are from destinations with no mobile BP!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Sadly a lot of my flights are from destinations with no mobile BP!
It's annoying at places that don't do it. In that case keep checking on manage my booking if if says seat "none" you may (although not always) have been given an op up.

All my flights coming up are in f or two class in j. Missing the op up games!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:35 am

Can anyone suggest how to resolve this ? Just spent an hour trying to redeem miles to book a Rio - Buenos Aires flight. It asks for a social security number, a Brazilian one. Of course, since I am not Brazilian and do not live there I have no need for this!

I called the hopeless info line and as expected they had no idea and after 30 mins of waiting and repeating, I gave up ! Of course, they said they could book the flight for me, but oh sorry we do not have the allocation, you have to redeem the points online .....

How stupid do these companies get .. online does not work, phoning does not work .. it's lucky the aircraft and crew are not as inefficient as the IT and office management who are responsible !!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by trackandbalance
Can anyone suggest how to resolve this ? Just spent an hour trying to redeem miles to book a Rio - Buenos Aires flight. It asks for a social security number, a Brazilian one. Of course, since I am not Brazilian and do not live there I have no need for this!

I called the hopeless info line and as expected they had no idea and after 30 mins of waiting and repeating, I gave up ! Of course, they said they could book the flight for me, but oh sorry we do not have the allocation, you have to redeem the points online .....

How stupid do these companies get .. online does not work, phoning does not work .. it's lucky the aircraft and crew are not as inefficient as the IT and office management who are responsible !!
I think this is a long standing issue - here is a thread from over a year ago with the same problem (on a revenue ticket)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...ty-number.html

As you are making a redemption, I would advise you to call one of the other country call centers (e.g. the UK one) using the numbers on the website via Skype or some such, where you may find a more helpful operator who can process the redemption for you!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:21 am

Upgrading akl to man with points query

if flying to Manchester from Auckland, can you upgrade a portion of the flight eg from Sydney to Dubai only or do you upgrade whole way which we haven't got enough points to do??
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:00 am

if flying to Manchester from Auckland, can you upgrade a portion of the flight eg from Sydney to Dubai only or do you upgrade whole way which we haven't got enough points to do??
You can indeed upgrade individual sectors with miles - however, if you do this ex-UK you may be asked to pay the additional APD due, even though you aren't upgrading the MAN-DXB leg (APD is due even if you upgrade an onward sector, if it's all on one journey). If you process the upgrade at, say, DXB transfer desk, you are unlikely to be asked to pay it! Also, similarly if you do an on-board upgrade they don't ask you for additional APD (assuming you are EK Silver or above).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.