Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You can never be 100% safe, but I think you've more chance of getting shot in the US than in Dubai

Dubai is very safe. From the airport, there are women only taxis if you'd prefer.

There are airside hotels at the airport. These are the most convenient if you just want a few hours rest. But they are generally more expensive than a regular hotel.
Definitely safer than manchester too!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 pm

Simple Question, I'm 20 and will be traveling F JFK-DXB soonish, what are the chances that I will be denied lounge access in JFK due to being under 21 and then would the FA not serve any alcohol to me? Should I hold off on flying first until I'm 21?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I searched but didnt find much info - i am planning on traveling US - India on EK with my 20 month old in Economy. Wanna buy flex plus fare - and EK website wouldnt let me purchase a seat for the kid. It insists her DOB is under 2 years old so she has to purchase an infant fare which means no seat.

Since am traveling alone with the kid i really would prefer to get her own seat. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by harishv79
I searched but didnt find much info - i am planning on traveling US - India on EK with my 20 month old in Economy. Wanna buy flex plus fare - and EK website wouldnt let me purchase a seat for the kid. It insists her DOB is under 2 years old so she has to purchase an infant fare which means no seat.

Since am traveling alone with the kid i really would prefer to get her own seat. Any thoughts?
Either call EK for the booking or take a "fake" DOB so that your kid is over 2.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Nepasser
Simple Question, I'm 20 and will be traveling F JFK-DXB soonish, what are the chances that I will be denied lounge access in JFK due to being under 21 and then would the FA not serve any alcohol to me? Should I hold off on flying first until I'm 21?
This all depends on why you are travelling JFK-DXB. If you are travelling on your own, it is possible that you will be denied access to the lounge at JFK due to alcohol service, but the drinking age on board and in DXB is 18.

If lounge access at JFK is the critical factor to your travel plans, I would not chance it.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Nepasser
I assume you're from the US, where for whatever weird reason drinking age is 21.. don't worry, in DXB, like in most parts of the world, drinking age is 18.. so you'll be absolutely fine. Just please don't drink too much. German/European 20 year olds are used to having some drinks and don't go tippsy after the 3rd drink, so if you're meeting with some other people in your age, don't expect that you can drink as much as they can
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
It's actually 21 in dubai...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ws-and-customs

I think the op will have no problems on board or the lounge. This is where dressing a little smarter may help. Ive never seen crew id anyone but i know the folks in the usa are very sensitive about a drink before you are 21. Strange country that allows guns and cars before a pint!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:29 am

Thanks, didn't know about the difference between Abu Dhabi and Dubai.. well.. we all know how much theory and praxis are two different worlds in the UAE
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by m3red
It's actually 21 in dubai...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ws-and-customs

I think the op will have no problems on board or the lounge. This is where dressing a little smarter may help. Ive never seen crew id anyone but i know the folks in the usa are very sensitive about a drink before you are 21. Strange country that allows guns and cars before a pint!
That is interesting, I stand corrected - I wonder on a purely technical basis that as EK planes are registered to the UAE they would apply 18 or 21...Actually given the fact you technically need a licence too, it's best not to ask these questions

As to the poster - they don't id people or go around checking the manifest for dates of birth unless you really look like a minor.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:56 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Hello! I'm on my first trip in F on Emirates on EK 206 (JFK-MXP-DXB) for the entire journey, and was wondering the trivial:

will i get 2x amenity kits/pajamas/the works?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:08 pm

Question about stopover awards

I've been reading up on different award and the best ways to use the points that I have been accruing but have run into a problem and was wondering if anyone here might be able to help.

I have around 120,000 Amex Membership reward points. My wife is Thai and so we will be traveling between LAX, IST, and BKK a few times a year. Is it possible to get an award ticket between these destinations with a long stopover? From what I've been reading UA might be the best bet but I couldn't figure out if LAX-BKK with a long stopover (2 or 3 months) in IST was possible.

Any suggestions for a bit of a noob?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:18 pm

amenity kits question

Please educate me regarding amenity kits. Never having received one I am unclear as to when they are available. Are they passed out routinely or a requested item? From occasional comments I have the understanding they are limited to First and/or Business class international flights...is this correct?
I'll be traveling paid FC on UA in August on a red-eye LAX-ORD. Would they be available on that flight?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Where's the peanut gallery thread when you need it .......??
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by dphmicn
I'll be traveling paid FC on UA in August on a red-eye LAX-ORD. Would they be available on that flight?
You might want to ask on the United sub forum rather than here on the Emirates one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...leageplus-681/
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:45 pm

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.