Wiki Posts
Search

Seats on B777 compared with A380

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Seats on B777 compared with A380

Hello all

My wife and I fly Man-Dxb-Bkk and when we do we try and book all legs on the A380. One way economy and then Business on the return.

How does the experience in both classes differ on the B777? What is the seating configuration in Business like. Do economy and Biz passengers board from the front together eg walk through Biz to get to economy?

Thanks everyone
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:39 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
In Economy: Pretty much the same service ("soft product") in economy on the 777 and the 380. I think most will agree that economy seating ("hard product") is objectively better on the 380. The seats are wider, and have a different recline mechanism which results in greater recline.

777 vs 380 in Business Class is a matter of preference, and I'll let the other chime in since I haven't flown Business Class in a while.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by upthepool
How does the experience in both classes differ on the B777? What is the seating configuration in Business like. Do economy and Biz passengers board from the front together eg walk through Biz to get to economy?
At DXB, there are 2 bridges. One for Economy, the other for First and Business.

At MAN (and probably BKK), there is just the one bridge.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:04 am

Well, I had a same composition lasy month AMS-DXB-CPT. The AMS-DXB leg was an A380 and we sat in the front (50a/b) which is economy. Ample legroom.
The second leg was a 77W and we sat in the very back with 2-4-2 layout. Slightly less legroom, but when one of us wanted to leave the seat, it was not needed to step over the aisle seat (C).
But, despite my long legs, enough legroom.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Slight correction

At man there is two bridges one for first and the same one for j and y.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

At BKK there are three bridges (2 lower level, 1 upper) for A380 gates (although if you are in J you will end up merging into the Y pax stream leaving at the same time), otherwise it's 2 bridges in the usual position for 777s.

At most 2 bridge gates for 777s, the protocol is for F to board from 1L on their own, with J and Y boarding from 2L through the J cabin.

Obviously this can vary depending on the station/bridges/urgency of boarding/disembarking!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Ignore my post... I was wrong

I thought the second tunnel at MAN was only used for the A380. I didn't realise it could also be used as a second tunnel on the 777.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Silver, EK Gold, MPC - Green
Originally Posted by upthepool
Hello all

My wife and I fly Man-Dxb-Bkk and when we do we try and book all legs on the A380. One way economy and then Business on the return.

Thanks everyone
As per another answer below the A380 economy seats seem to be better engineered so if I'm flying Econ then I take this.

In Business I prefer the 777 Seats and also the number of seats. The service on A380 can take forever due to the size of the premium cabin. But of course the A380 has a bar. So for night flights I prefer 777 as I can eat and sleep. Day flights if on holiday I'll take the A380 and hang around the bar
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
B777 JCL is angle flat. A380 is lie flat.
B777 configuration is 2/3/2. A380 is solo seat, except E-F but they are in the center line of the cabin.
A380 : service is indeed slower, but service depends a lot on F/As ; bar in the aft, so are ... the toilets.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ioto1902
B777 JCL is angle flat. A380 is lie flat.
B777 configuration is 2/3/2. A380 is solo seat, except E-F but they are in the center line of the cabin.
A380 : service is indeed slower, but service depends a lot on F/As ; bar in the aft, so are ... the toilets.
Agree with this. Except when I flew the A380 in J, there were only 10 people or so in the entire J cabin, so there was no problem with slow service.

777 vs. A380 in hard product are night and day difference in my opinion. Nearly all. A380 seats offer much more privacy, all seats have direct aisle access, and it is completely lie-flat. 777 offers little privacy, only slightly more than half of the seats have direct aisle access (meaning someone may need to climb over you), and the seat is not completely lie-flat.

The soft product seemed to be the same to me.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:42 pm

Why would people even play for Biz class on the 777, it is horrible. 3 seat in the center section, and 2 on the sides???

The best seats on the 777 is the back, 2-4-2 seats, ample leg room and I'd imagine the seats are wider as well, but not too sure.

On the A380, economy seats all have larger seat back TVs than the 777.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Lulu Chen
Why would people even play for Biz class on the 777, it is horrible. 3 seat in the center section, and 2 on the sides???

The best seats on the 777 is the back, 2-4-2 seats, ample leg room and I'd imagine the seats are wider as well, but not too sure.

Whilst J is not particularly up to date as a global product, I think I would hesitate to call it a horrible product - it does have its plus points, such as the more intimate service and couples both having easy window views.

If the seat config is the basis for the review, then there are plenty of global products out there which are flown regularly that people pay premiums for (BA 2-4-2 springs to mind!) - and don't forget all those regional 2-2-2 recliners out there!

I think the 777 hard product is distinctly average but unfortunately it's the only option to many destinations!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Lulu Chen
Not strictly true.

The new system (ICE Digital Widescreen) was introduced about 3 years ago, initially on B777s and then onto A380s.

Due to shear numbers, there may be more B777s out there with the old ICE system, but by no means all.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
Not strictly true.

The new system (ICE Digital Widescreen) was introduced about 3 years ago, initially on B777s and then onto A380s.

Due to shear numbers, there may be more B777s out there with the old ICE system, but by no means all.
Aren't the screens bigger on the A380 (12-inches) than the 777? That's one of the reasons why I rarely watch a movie on the 777s/ probably still haven't experienced any of the newer 777s on short haul (BOM-DXB).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.