Search

Pricing - It doesn't make sense!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:04 pm
Moz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Delta SM, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold
Pricing - It doesn't make sense!

Received a special offer email a few days ago. I can get to Bangkok in business from NCE for €1,900 but if I only want to fly to DXB from NCE it will cost me €500 more!

Again - It is cheaper for me to fly further NCE-DXB-BKK return than to simply fly NCE-DXB return.

Huh?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:25 pm

This is pretty normal. Airline pricing has nothing to do with the cost and all to do with extracting the maximum revenue for each routing.

There are 2 main reasons why you are seeing this price difference:
  • Non-stop flights are priced higher than connecting because people will pay more. NCE-XXX-DXB will usually cost less than NCE-DXB non-stop.
  • There is no competitor operating NCE-DXB. But there are dozens of airlines competing for your business for NCE-BKK.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:55 pm

And I guess it's true that you can't just exit the terminal at DXB and not take the last leg, or they'll cancel the rest of the ticket?

It is indeed amazing what a bit of competition can do to bring down airfares...

AMS – AKL is 1150 EUR in Y, 4560 EUR in J.
DXB – AKL is 1930 EUR in Y and 6287 EUR in J.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are thousands of these examples. Many much more stark than this.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
There is the guy United are suing in the US for developing a program to find just such fares. A few years ago I booked Jeddah to Seoul but wanted to complete the journey in DXB. I saved $800 booking return to Jeddah but getting off in DXB. I have often bought return fares and only taken one leg because it was cheaper than the one way cost.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
You can always book the tickets with a long 'stopover' at DXB and use the dxb bkk leg on another trip.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:37 am
Moz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Delta SM, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
You can always book the tickets with a long 'stopover' at DXB and use the dxb bkk leg on another trip.
As I understand it, if I only need the NCE-DXB then I must travel the DXB-BKK portion on the same trip or the rest of the legs will be cancelled. I guess I could do a stopover in DXB for business and then head out and back to BKK simply as a mileage run.......
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Moz
then head out and back to BKK simply as a mileage run.......
Except that's not a mileage run. It's more like flying the ticketed journey to ensure the last leg isn't cancelled.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:09 am

Different airline, different pricing but same principle {maybe)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...king-bags.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.