Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Worth driving from AUH to DXB to try out Emirates F Lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm planning a trip using a combination of US Airways Miles and AA miles.

The AA miles will be redeemed on Etihad F from SYD-AUH and I was thinking of taking a cab from AUH to DXB just to fly QF 1 on DXB-LHR and sample the vaunted Emirates F lounge.

However, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. Not sure if it's worth the expense and time to travel from AUH-DXB?

I'm one of those crazy types who likes to sit in an F lounge for 12 hours.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:34 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Good luck getting award availability on EY and QF in F on dates that line up.

QF actually provides greater award space for their own elites, earlier than other programs which may preclude your proposed itinerary.

If F lounging is your thing surely you want to try QF F at SYD? You could do QF A388 F then EY A388 F, however the EY F Lounge is currently closed so you should check dates. No-one knows what the new F Lounge will look like.

FYI the EYA388 only begins SYD from June and only four times per week.

You will receive Chauffer drive so on EY at AUH so you won't need a cab to DXB. I always allow a one night stopover for separate tickets.

Personally, I live believe that a lounge is a lounge is a lounge. Some are nicer than others but I wouldn't create a trip around one. I would be EY SYD-AUH and AUH-LHR. The new on board product, I believe, surpasses any lounge experience.

Last edited by m0hamed; Feb 21, 2015 at 10:53 pm
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:39 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
IMHO - no.Can you redeem on EY all they way SYD-LON? IMHO EY is better than QF, but the lounge is not that spectacular, though... If you, however, have an option to stay in DXB for day or two - then IMHO it is worth then - there is very little to see/do in AUH.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

So recent disturbing reports from the EY forum suggest that EY is not honoring chauffeur services even for AA miles redeemed for EY F travel! Incredible, but seems to be a very recent development.

I've been able to get the dates to sync up in November '15 (and the EY F lounge should be open by then). It would be a combination award of USDM miles (IAD-LHR-DOH-AUH) then AA (AUH-SYD-AUH) then USDM (DXB-LHR-IAD).

No time to stopover in DXB unfortunately, because I'm trying to maximize my time in Sydney.

Hmm, good suggestion about doing EY F from London.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:53 pm

If your arriving on Etihad in F they will chauffeur you to DXB.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
If your arriving on Etihad in F they will chauffeur you to DXB.
But not if it's on awards miles....Some FTers have reported difficulty making chauffeur reservations when flying on EY F when using AA miles. I know it's possible to stop by chauffeur desk to ask in person and see if they'll oblige, but this is not the most assuring method.

See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...assengers.html
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:01 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
But not if it's on awards miles....Some FTers have reported difficulty making chauffeur reservations when flying on EY F when using AA miles. I know it's possible to stop by chauffeur desk to ask in person and see if they'll oblige, but this is not the most assuring method.

See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...assengers.html
Incorrect. Z class is not the F Award bucket which is 'O.'

We have Chauffeur Drive confirmed on several AAward bookings.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Incorrect. Z class is not the F Award bucket which is 'O.'

We have Chauffeur Drive confirmed on several AAward bookings.
Check the last few pages of the thread.

Only 2-3 data points so far, but the were all booked in the last few weeks so it could be a new development.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24377941-post165.html
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

So that just freaked me out, however I just called and successfully made another Chauffeur Drive booking for an AAward in I Class. I hadn't previously as we hadn't picked which hotel we were going to stay at.

I still have confirmed bookings in O Class.

As such, EY continue to provide Chauffeur Drive on partner bookings.

Last edited by m0hamed; Feb 21, 2015 at 11:39 pm
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by m0hamed
So that just freaked me out, however I just called and successfully made another Chauffeur Drive booking for an AAward in I Class. I hadn't previously as we hadn't picked which hotel we were going to stay at.

I still have confirmed bookings in O Class.

As such, EY continue to provide Chauffeur Drive on partner bookings.
Agree. I have an EY F booking in June made with AA miles (BOM - IAD) and chauffeur is confirmed.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:22 am

Not worth the drive or going out of your way to get there.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva
After some more research, my thinking is that the AUH F lounge (when it opens in April), will probably be just as good as the EK DXB F lounge. I guess the aspects of the DXB lounge that appeal to me are its novelty, size, over-the-top-ness, and bragging rights.

And as much as I like lounging and flying, it would save me a day of travel and passing though LHR if I just flew IAD-AUH-SYD and back.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by edy4eva
What he said .....^
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

So now that we determined Etihad is honoring AA bookings into F (except for one outlier), and that I can get an EY chauffeur from AUH to DXB, still not worth the drive from AUH to DXB?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
So now that we determined Etihad is honoring AA bookings into F (except for one outlier), and that I can get an EY chauffeur from AUH to DXB, still not worth the drive from AUH to DXB?
Nope!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.