Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping Emirates chauffeur drive

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Havoc10G
Not sure that logic holds. It's part of EK's service offering. I don't see why it makes sense to discriminate against other parts of the service offering vs the car component. I might not eat or use the lounge or drink on the flight which would be the same logic as renting a car vs using the EK car. It's just easier and more acceptable to tip a driver than the staff in the lounge. Taking it to the extreme of who really needs that spare cash why don't you take the tip money and put it into the change for good envelope? Or is the real reason for tipping on most occasions either the pressure to do so or to feel good about oneself ? An open question not any accusation
Drivers in DXB, as opposed to cabin crew and lounge staff, work for a contracted company that pays them peanuts for doing a job which is far more dangerous than flying a plane or serving a drink. I felt (and learned) that they're not being compensated properly, and therefore have made tipping a habit. Outside of DXB, they're all contracted drivers, some run small businesses and get called out by EK's service provider, struggle to make ends meet in some markets.

Not saying if you don't is a bad thing. It's just a little thank you for doing their job properly and am sure would go a long way at the end of the day if just 10% of their customers do the same.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 7:46 pm

As for the 'I pay X amount for premium fares then why should I tip' argument I say: An extra 1% of that fare as tips won't hurt your pocket, because you can easily afford it (you bought a premium fare right?) and especially that you might be paying 2-3% anyway as foreign transaction fees on your CC.

Also, if you were to call a cab then you will surely be tipping the driver. Think of it as you're tipping on a subsidised cab fare.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by edy4eva
As for the 'I pay X amount for premium fares then why should I tip' argument I say: An extra 1% of that fare as tips won't hurt your pocket, because you can easily afford it (you bought a premium fare right?) and especially that you might be paying 2-3% anyway as foreign transaction fees on your CC.

Also, if you were to call a cab then you will surely be tipping the driver. Think of it as you're tipping on a subsidised cab fare.
Wow, talk about missing the point. And I don't appreciate the patronising tone.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Wow, talk about missing the point. And I don't appreciate the patronising tone.
I wasn't even implying any patronisation.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Budley
Being somewhat Australian, tipping is not a major part of my culture (dual national AU/UK).

I have taken limos in the UK and France several times and have never tipped. In fact the drivers expected not to be tipped IMHO and smiled all the way.

But I can see the sub-continent is a different matter.
Ditto dual AU/UK; ditto tipping not part of my upbringing but is more so where I live! Usually £10-£20 GLA; $20 MEL (former 2 hour trip; latter 30 min trip).

Our GLA driver we have had the last 3 trips once picked up a very well known Scot after he'd been at the funeral of a family member and he waited over an hour before he and his family were ready to go and after a hairy 2 hour trip to the airport just got them there on time - and he gave the driver a huge tip!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
Do you tip the chauffer driver?

Not sure being a limo driver in DXB falls under the dangerous careers category. Certainly not statistically. As for their pay the employment rights are quite good in Dubai. Entitlement to holidays and medical cover. They are paid a premium to taxi drivers, which is a tougher job in Dubai although still better than rest of the Gulf. I am not even going to touch on the argument about how much they make in home country vs Dubai but clearly a big premium which is why they come to Dubai with a qualification of a driving license to make more money than educated professionals in their home country. I guess I ended up touching on this!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:52 am

I paid emirates holidays to book me a private mini van... I suppose I will have to tip the driver?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Personally I'd say you only 'have' to do whatever you're most comfortable with in your own mind......
Old Oct 27, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
Personally I'd say you only 'have' to do whatever you're most comfortable with in your own mind......
^ Agree.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
However, that only spreads the expectation, when those used to doing it at home spread their habit to countries where it has not been the norm.

Keep it away from the "unspoilt" countries.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: EK, KL, AF, SQ
Tips?

50 Dhs Dubai (incoming and outgoing) They stop for my coffee.
Singapore : zero lately until they change limo company
All other stations USD10.

I dont tip if the guy cant drive. If he is amusing or quiet and drives smooth 100% top.

PS. WHo ever buys cabin crew chocolates or sweets? A box of Pattchi does wonders, crew feel appreciated. Its not a must but its great to see appreciation and thats the real gift.

Its little something my wife taught me from travelling on staff tickets. I still do it regardless which class i fly in F-J predominantly, occasionally Y simply because DXB - DOH is stupid in F or J.

Plat with staff tickets is confusing.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: EK Skywards, JL Mileage Bank
At MAN always tip a fiver, up to twenty quid if I have an "unofficial" passenger travelling with me in economy (would not tip if driver was rude or unhelpful, but they always have been polite). Never tip at Tokyo HND; it's not expected in Japan where drivers earn proper wages...
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:30 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I think the whole point is that you don't have to tip. Kind of like Uber's car services in NYC or SF.

Still, I tipped $15 at JFK because he was fun to speak with.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
The Portuguese gent who picked us up at LHR was great and was extremely good at conversation. Had to go to another airport for a connecting flight .At the destination he went and got 2 trollies for us ( using his own money). He deserved the tip.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
I don't generally tip in UK, in fact I never have. Occasionally in Dubai if the driver is particularly friendly but as I normally stay near the airport (Grand Hyatt, Park Hyatt, Intercon Festival City) I'm only in the car for 10-15 mins so the tip is not really earned. Will tend to tip in India.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.